Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

smltwnrckr

Another Dr. Seuss FAIL

14 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

I'm not even suggesting that children's books have to teach that racism is bad. I just think that those books shouldn't erase history. The book says the cotton gin made the work of cotton production better for those producing it. The opposite is the truth. If the book said the printing press made things worse for people who like words, I would point that out as a problem too.

I was being very general. IMO, racism mostly stems from lack of education, not always but a lot. I get the points of ECA and others and these forums make for good debate but at the end of the day, most people here are splitting hairs.

The inclusion and context of the cotton gin in that format for that audience is perspective but at the end of the day, parents should be the ultimate guide on right and wrong.

2 minutes ago, happycamper said:

What? in 4th grade we talked explicitly about how the cotton gin made slavery more economical and widespread, how it had been on its way out, and how it was the single invention most responsible for the civil war. 

Didn't get to that until 10th grade

Just now, HR_Poke said:

catholic schools are hardcore

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

3 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

It expanded the demand for field laborers picking the cotton. It made the experience of slavery much more brutal while also making that form of labor much more vital to the southern economy and society. So for the people acxtually producing it, it made it harder and longer and dirtier and more brutal. 

It doesn't say anything one way or the other about the process of picking the cotton.  It simply talks about making the process or removing the seeds from the fibers quick and easy, which it did.  Again you are wanting additional context and claiming the lack of it is erasing history.  It simply isn't.  

3 minutes ago, HR_Poke said:

I don't even remember getting it then. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

14 minutes ago, utenation said:

Honest question. Would you rather have smltwnrckr teaching his kids and other kids(hypothetically your kids) racism is bad or the other way around? Even if you think he's being extreme about this considering it's just a kid's book, I'm happy to know some people take racism serious and teach our future generations the same thing. IMO, there's far more parents and leaders teaching the wrong way.

And by no means is this anything against you. Just a big picture question.

I will respond here with some honest questions. The guy who started this thread knew exactly what kind of response people were going to give and make some who disagree look like they are ok with racism. Well, for me, I am not. Nevertheless, you don't like the term woke. I agree it may be used too much or maybe not enough. That doesn't make people who use the term woke dummies. Yet, are ok with terms like triggered, racist or you're a white supremacists? I would think those are the actual dummies. People in The U.S. are getting sick of this crap and it doesn't matter what their political party or affiliation is. 

Now on to the questions- Do think it's ok the for exreamly young volatile children (6-7 years Old) to come home and ask their parents if they are evil because they are white? Where are they learning this? I little off topic, but do you think a 9 year old should be making decisions to become transgender? Again, where are they learning this? 

This Thread Is Horse****!! 

4 minutes ago, HR_Poke said:

It doesn't say anything one way or the other about the process of picking the cotton.  It simply talks about making the process or removing the seeds from the fibers quick and easy, which it did.  Again you are wanting additional context and claiming the lack of it is erasing history.  It simply isn't.  

I mean, the first four lines describe how hard it was to pick the seeds out of the cotton. So, the impact on the labor is part of the message.

People on here all the time talk about media bias being evident by which stories they decide to tell, and which particulars they include and leave out. But now, suddenly omission of the key fact that makes the Cotton Gin a relavent invention at all is not consequential?

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

1 minute ago, smltwnrckr said:

I mean, the first four lines describe how hard it was to pick the seeds out of the cotton. So, the impact on the labor is part of the message.

People on here all the time talk about media bias being evident by which stories they decide to tell, and which particulars they include and leave out. But now, suddenly omission of the key fact that makes the Cotton Gin a relavent invention at all is not consequential?

The scope of the story it was trying to tell was purely about the process of picking seeds out of cotton.  Including anything beyond that in a 2 paragraph statement is scope creep.  And thats a good way to piss off your vendors....

5 minutes ago, AztecAlien said:

Now on to the questions- Do think it's ok the for exreamly young volatile children (6-7 years Old) to come home and ask their parents if they are evil because they are white? Where are they learning this? I little off topic, but do you think a 9 year old should be making decisions to become transgender? Again, where are they learning this? 

If that is their environment, you have no choice. Obviously you need to dig deeper as to the root of the question but you should address it to the best of their comprehension level. 

2 minutes ago, HR_Poke said:

The scope of the story it was trying to tell was purely about the process of picking seeds out of cotton.  Including anything beyond that in a 2 paragraph statement is scope creep.  And thats a good way to piss off your vendors....

Scope creep? And I'm the one being accused of getting into the weeds here. The Guttenburg page talks about the Bible, and the Morse page talked about connecting the country. The Bell page talks about improving the lives of the hearing impaired. So these are not all strictly dedicated to the mechanics of the machine. 

Also, do you think a single vendor would have cared if they put Howe or Tesla or Ford in there instead of Whitney?

20 minutes ago, AztecAlien said:

I will respond here with some honest questions. The guy who started this thread knew exactly what kind of response people were going to give and make some who disagree look like they are ok with racism. Well, for me, I am not. Nevertheless, you don't like the term woke. I agree it may be used too much or maybe not enough. That doesn't make people who use the term woke dummies. Yet, are ok with terms like triggered, racist or you're a white supremacists? I would think those are the actual dummies. People in The U.S. are getting sick of this crap and it doesn't matter what their political party or affiliation is. 

I think you'll find that I'm not woke at all, and I'm not accusing people of being racist or white supremacist. I'm just pointing out that this page in a book about important inventions leaves a few pretty important pieces out, and considering the context of people passing laws in states trying to ban teachers and books that maybe include some of those pieces... well, it may be relavent. As may be the reactions. 

If people are sick of the "crap" that is objectively true historical facts, well... maybe the use of "triggered" here is apt. 

Now on to the questions-

Good, I love questions. 

Do think it's ok the for exreamly young volatile children (6-7 years Old) to come home and ask their parents if they are evil because they are white?

How does saying slavery existed in a page about eli whitney, or putting another inventor whose invention didn't lead to the civil war, do such a thing? Honestly. Please answer me that. 

Where are they learning this?

Probably from their parents, who are projecting something onto otherwise innocuous content. Or who watch too much Fox News, and who are primed to have an immediate and volatile reaction to the suggestion that the Cotton Gin was bad for slaves. 

I little off topic, but do you think a 9 year old should be making decisions to become transgender?

No

Again, where are they learning this? 

Not from books in their school library, or their teachers. 

Why?

2 minutes ago, utenation said:

If that is their environment, you have no choice. Obviously you need to dig deeper as to the root of the question but you should address it to the best of their comprehension level. 

Some people are switching to home schooling or moving their kids to charter schools.   

Parents of grammar school kids are, in IMO, getting fed up with the social education stuff to the point where they are demanding their kids are taught more of the 3 R's and less cultural stuff.   If the public school systems are ignoring the wishes of parents, this problem will only continue to grow.

I'm glad I didn't have to raise kids during the woke era. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

6 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Some people are switching to home schooling or moving their kids to charter schools.   

Parents of grammar school kids are, in IMO, getting fed up with the social education stuff to the point where they are demanding their kids are taught more of the 3 R's and less cultural stuff.   If the public school systems are ignoring the wishes of parents, this problem will only continue to grow.

I'm glad I didn't have to raise kids during the woke era. 

You know a whole bunch of the examples of too much "CRT" in schools and too much "woke" education comes out of charter schools, private schools and elite public schools, right? Reading Toni Morrison is hard. If you can read her, you are smart. Sometimes it's a simple as that. 

3 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

OK, @tailingpermit and @Aslowhiteguy. Make your case.

For all of @Nevada Convert's faults, at leas the dude has the balls to come out and basically say he thinks it's fine to make slavery fun again. 

You read into things that aren’t there and over thinks things waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much. I was just making a general joke about how a far left teacher might analyze a couple of pages of anything. You really honestly think I’m OK with slavery? That’s the problem with you far left types. You’re so anally quick to make extreme judgments, and you always seem to assume some sort of worst case.

kat.jpg

28 minutes ago, HR_Poke said:

Cheyenne Public schools suck.  Blame the teachers union.....

Do the teacher's unions even have any power in Wyoming? Honest question. I always assumed not. 

Just now, Nevada Convert said:

You read into things that aren’t there and over thinks things waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much. I was just making a general joke about how a far left teacher might analyze a couple of pages of anything. You really honestly think I’m OK with slavery? That’s the problem with you far left types. You’re so anally quick to make extreme judgments, and you always seem to assume some sort of worst case.

I mean, you were apologizing for native american genocide not that long ago on here. So, if the shoe fits. 

Just now, smltwnrckr said:

Do the teacher's unions even have any power in Wyoming? Honest question. I always assumed not. 

The one in Cheyenne did.  Not sure about the rest of the state.  But for a while there something like 75 to 80% of all legislators wives were teachers.  So Wyoming teachers were getting large yearly raises....