Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ph90702

Teach Us

5 hours ago, ph90702 said:

@Coog kev

Houston had once NCAA Tournament appearance between 1993 and 2017.  Kelvin Sampson has them on track for their fourth appearance in five years (would’ve been five for five if not for COVID-19).

Impart that wisdom on UNLV!

UNLV has traditionally gone the cheap route, saving themselves change in the present at the cost of millions in the future. Nothing indicates that will change, unfortunately.

Had we hired Pitino during his first flirtation with us, and he kept his nose clean here (debatable), we would have been a piwerhouse again long ago.

Had we upped Kruger Sr. Rather than hiring Dweeby Dave for pocket change, we would still be a perennial NCAA team and making good money for the program.

Sadly for us, none of that happened and we are who we are at this point.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

6 hours ago, ph90702 said:

@Coog kev

Houston had once NCAA Tournament appearance between 1993 and 2017.  Kelvin Sampson has them on track for their fourth appearance in five years (would’ve been five for five if not for COVID-19).

Impart that wisdom on UNLV!

I don't know anything about the culture of the basketball program but if I had to guess, it's rooted in expectations from a past that are long gone. Not sure how to break that. I don't think splashy hires are the answer. The problem is, building a good team in the MWC won't be good enough for Rebels fans. SDSU is the best school in the conference and they rarely make the Sweet 16. Success for UNLV should be making the tourney 50% of the time but the fans won't see it that way.

I know rational thought  and reasoned opinion is entirely out of place when discussing UNLV athletics but I figure  I'll try anyway.  From the UT

3. Too many coaches

SDSU leads the all-time series against UNLV 40-37, but that’s deceiving. From their first meeting in 1966 until 2001, the Rebels were 21-4.

Over the last 21 games, the Aztecs are 19-2. Dutcher has been on the bench as an assistant or head coach for all 19 of those, and 36 of the 40 all-time wins.

That’s probably not a coincidence.

The Rebels are coached now by Kevin Kruger, in his first season after replacing T.J. Otzelberger (who left for Iowa State after going 29-30 in two years in Las Vegas). Otzelberger replaced Marvin Menzies.

Who replaced interim coach Todd Simon.

Who replaced Dave Rice.

Who replaced Lon Kruger, Kevin’s father.

Who replaced Jay Spoonhour, who replaced Charlie Spoonhour, who replaced Max Good, who replaced Bill Bayno.

That’s 10 different head coaches during Dutcher’s and Steve Fisher’s tenure at SDSU that started in 1999-2000. And that’s not counting Chris Beard, who accepted the UNLV job in 2016 before bolting for Texas Tech two weeks later.

Continuity, anyone?

UNLV continues to try to reawaken the echoes of Jerry Tarkanian’s national championship, which, ahem, was 32 years ago. But what it sometimes forgets is Tark was there 19 years, not three.

“Too many coaches,” Dutcher told ESPN Las Vegas radio on Monday. “That’s too much turnover. Now you don’t lose a coach and then the whole team comes back, and the new guy inherits a good roster. Usually when you lose the coach now, the whole roster leaves and it’s a rebuild every year.

“It took us a while. I’m not saying we’re the greatest coaches in the world. We were bad to start, in year three we won, then we dropped for a couple (years), then we built up again. Sometimes it’s a building process.”

Same for Tarkanian. The Rebels went to the NCAA Tournament in his second, third and fourth seasons and then not for the next five. He won the national title in his 17th year in Las Vegas.

Practically the entire roster was in the transfer portal after Otzelberger left, and 10 of Kruger’s 13 scholarship players had never appeared in a game for UNLV. Four transfers start.

“You’ve got a really good coach in Kevin,” Dutcher said. “I like the way Vegas plays. I think they’re dangerous. I think they’re getting better. Now let him build it. Let him have the time. Give him time to bring his rosters in there, to turn two or three rosters over, and I think Vegas will be back to being Vegas.”

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/aztecs/story/2022-01-25/san-diego-state-sdsu-aztecs-basketball-3-thoughts-unlv-rebels-trey-pulliam-utah-state-aggies

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

43 minutes ago, Spot50B said:

I don't know anything about the culture of the basketball program but if I had to guess, it's rooted in expectations from a past that are long gone. Not sure how to break that. I don't think splashy hires are the answer. The problem is, building a good team in the MWC won't be good enough for Rebels fans. SDSU is the best school in the conference and they rarely make the Sweet 16. Success for UNLV should be making the tourney 50% of the time but the fans won't see it that way.

If that‘s success, shut the program down TODAY!

No reason we can’t be a national program like Gonzaga.

46 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

If that‘s success, shut the program down TODAY!

Quit football, go back to the Big West and hire Mark Few. Problem solved.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

9 hours ago, Spot50B said:

And that is exactly the reason why UNLV continues to be stuck. 

Everyone has that person in their life that insists they’re right and everyone else is wrong. That’s UNLV fans insisting they’re better than the rest of us despite zero to back up those claims after their natty nearly 30 years ago. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

25 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

Everyone has that person in their life that insists they’re right and everyone else is wrong. That’s UNLV fans insisting they’re better than the rest of us despite zero to back up those claims after their natty nearly 30 years ago. 

There's ZERO reason for UNLV to ever be worse than 5th in the MW!

26 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

Your university is so irrelevant that I had to go on Wikipedia to look up where it's located.  I couldn't recall off the top of my head.

16 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

There's ZERO reason for UNLV to ever be worse than 5th in the MW!

Absolutely!

Beautiful campus, exceptional academics, and located in a cultural "Mecca"...

what parent wouldn't want to see their child be a Rebel? 

32 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

Your university is so irrelevant that I had to go on Wikipedia to look up where it's located.  I couldn't recall off the top of my head.

Only fools that mock, and you can mock USU all you want but they’ve had far more success in just the past few years in the flagship sports than UNLV has experienced their entire time as a member of the MW.

@SDSUfan was spot on.. the truth hurts PH, but I think the sooner we truly admit to our current situation and own it and stop living in 1990, the sooner we can move forward and rise. We can’t continue to look back to the past.

6 minutes ago, B_Lootz said:

Only fools that mock, and you can mock USU all you want but they’ve had far more success in just the past few years in the flagship sports than UNLV has experienced their entire time as a member of the MW.

@SDSUfan was spot on.. the truth hurts PH, but I think the sooner we truly admit to our current situation and own it and stop living in 1990, the sooner we can move forward and rise. We can’t continue to look back to the past.

You are my new favorite UNLV fan. This is a very good take not shared by some of the more brainless of your fanbase.

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

52 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

Ewww sick burn. It hurts so much you don’t know where Utah state is.

17 hours ago, ph90702 said:

If by national program, you mean a true contender to win a national championship then that only existed for around 5ish years in the late 80s and early 90s. Tark was gone two years after the Natty and that was it. There was some sustained success a few years later but nothing major. Certainly not more than what SDSU or BYU managed to achieve in a similar timeframe, and I don't see either of those schools as true contenders to win it all.

Gonzaga, by comparison, has had sustained success for 20+ years with no sign of that changing. They haven't won it all like UNLV did-- and all UNLV fans should be very proud of that achievement- but what Gonzaga is doing is hard to sustain or replicate. It is something UNLV has never done (continued success over decades) and only the most myopic fans would think Gonzaga-level success would be possible now.