Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spaztecs

Virginia's Republican governor, is launching a tip line for parents to report their kids' teachers

13 hours ago, modestobulldog said:

There should be a penalty for bad faith reporting.  The company I worked my career with had multiple avenues for reporting things amiss.  Employees were encouraged to use local & opco management to rectify concerns when possible, but other avenues were ombudsman, hot line, audit committee (reports to board of directors), and possibly other avenues.  It is amazing how quickly finance, accounting, and various corporate crap disappears when viewed in the rear view mirror.

Edit - employees were promised no retaliation (can't remember the exact words) for reports made in good faith.

What is your suggestion for a penalty for bad faith calls to Youngkin's tip line?

If a parent considers simply talking about Rosa Parks or Jim Crow laws or the Holocaust to be divisive then is that bad faith reporting? What punishment should happen to the parent? Or are those too divisive of concepts and should be left out of the classroom?

Everyone's values are different so how do we balance the concept of "divisive"?

1 hour ago, FresnoFacts said:

What is your suggestion for a penalty for bad faith calls to Youngkin's tip line?

If a parent considers simply talking about Rosa Parks or Jim Crow laws or the Holocaust to be divisive then is that bad faith reporting? What punishment should happen to the parent? Or are those too divisive of concepts and should be left out of the classroom?

Everyone's values are different so how do we balance the concept of "divisive"?

Most conservatives didn’t really pay much attention to the education process until the last few years when kids starting coming home and questioning if they were a boy or girl, or why they should feel guilty because white people had slaves 400 years ago, sexually explicit material in children’s books, and radical activism being taught. So yeah, there’s been a conservative backlash and in many cases overreaction against the education system. 

7 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Most conservatives didn’t really pay much attention to the education process until the last few years when kids starting coming home and questioning if they were a boy or girl, or why they should feel guilty because white people had slaves 400 years ago, sexually explicit material in children’s books, and radical activism being taught. So yeah, there’s been a conservative backlash and in many cases overreaction against the education system. 

I mean, I got a conservative backlash when I suggested slavery existed in the cotton production process during the first half of the 1800s. So, perhaps you need to check your sources on your assertions. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

4 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

I mean, I got a conservative backlash when I suggested slavery existed in the cotton production process during the first half of the 1800s. So, perhaps you need to check your sources on your assertions. 

I’d say that’s an overreaction, but you apparently believe conservatives are basically racists and don’t even want the mention of slavery being taught in public schools. 

1 minute ago, soupslam1 said:

I’d say that’s an overreaction, but you apparently believe conservatives are basically racists and don’t even want the mention of slavery being taught in public schools. 

Do I apparently believe that, or are you reacting to something because of your own biases that are informed by information you consume? You made a bunch of assertions about making little kids feel guilty and about kids being trans and about sexually explicit material in children's books without any evidence. You just said it, as if it is true. But generally when people try to show evidence that such things are true, they fall pretty well short of the assertion. 

Something to think about before advocating for snitch lines. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

6 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Do I apparently believe that, or are you reacting to something because of your own biases that are informed by information you consume? You made a bunch of assertions about making little kids feel guilty and about kids being trans and about sexually explicit material in children's books without any evidence. You just said it, as if it is true. But generally when people try to show evidence that such things are true, they fall pretty well short of the assertion. 

Something to think about before advocating for snitch lines. 

In general I don’t believe that to be true, but there are enough anecdotal cases (granted that have been over publicized) that has raised the concerns and backlash of conservative parents. You fail to understand the dynamics at play here. 

10 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

In general I don’t believe that to be true, but there are enough anecdotal cases (granted that have been over publicized) that has raised the concerns and backlash of conservative parents. You fail to understand the mechanisms at play here. 

what cases? what mechanisms?

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

5 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

In general I don’t believe that to be true, but there are enough anecdotal cases (granted that have been over publicized) that has raised the concerns and backlash of conservative parents. You fail to understand the dynamics at play here. 

How many were "enough"?  2?  20?  200?  How many can you cite?  And was the relatively small amount spread out like wildfire to make it seem like 200,000?  The biggest dynamic is the exaggeration of an "issue" that conservatives frankly did not like (people choosing to be who they want to be, teaching history in a way that brings better context than the old textbooks could, and voicing an opinion that didn't jive with the assimilation strategy)?  Almost every retort and excuse on this reads like a facebook meme.  But what it seems to boil down to is folks want to not be bothered with people not aligning with their way of life.  Don't worry, it does go both ways, but when it becomes a legislative tactic to discourage the discussion of personal liberties and the teaching of history, or even critical analysis, I tend to oppose that one much more.  Right now, that is the VA gov, among a couple other jurisdictions.  

59 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

I always avoided covering Michael Jackson except for this one joke. 

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

What's your take on free-range parenting?

56 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

What's your take on free-range parenting?

That’s pretty much how my brother and I grew up because my mother didn’t want to be a mother and split when we were toddlers. My dad had to work so we pretty much grew up on our own. 

It had its good points and bad points. It taught us to be independent and take care of ourselves. OTOH we didn’t get much supervision or guidance so we got into a lot more trouble than we should have. It was growing up by trial and error if you will. 

I don’t carry any resentment, we actually had a lot more freedom than most kids. The independence has served me well through life. 

7 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

That’s pretty much how my brother and I grew up because my mother didn’t want to be a mother and split when we were toddlers. My dad had to work so we pretty much grew up on our own. 

It had its good points and bad points. It taught us to be independent and take care of ourselves. OTOH we didn’t get much supervision or guidance so we got into a lot more trouble than we should have. It was growing up by trial and error if you will. 

I don’t carry any resentment, we actually had a lot more freedom than most kids. 

What about in comparison to the helicopter parenting trend that it's in response to? You know, always making sure kids are always supervised. Parents always watching and preventing them from getting hurt, always intervening. Kids always having everything scheduled, no free play time for their own to get dirty and explore the world on their terms? Trunk r Treat? Stranger Danger. Calling CPS if you see an 8 year old playing in a neighborhood park on his own. So on and so forth. 

Would you say that the concept is a step in the right direction away from the helicopter parenting trend?

2 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Hogwash.  

7 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

What about in comparison to the helicopter parenting trend that it's in response to? You know, always making sure kids are always supervised. Parents always watching and preventing them from getting hurt, always intervening. Kids always having everything scheduled, no free play time for their own to get dirty and explore the world on their terms? Trunk r Treat? Stranger Danger. Calling CPS if you see an 8 year old playing in a neighborhood park on his own. So on and so forth. 

Would you say that the concept is a step in the right direction away from the helicopter parenting trend?

Of course, however, there is a happy medium between the way I grew up and helicopter parenting. I’ve been pretty permissive with our kids and my wife is the opposite. I’ve come to realize we’re both right depending on the circumstances. 

Just now, soupslam1 said:

Of course, however, there is a happy medium between the way I grew up and helicopter parenting. I’ve been pretty permissive with our kids and my wife is the opposite. I’ve come to realize were both right depending on the circumstances. 

Well, the current movement to ban ideas from schools by force of law is very analogous to the rise of stranger danger and helicopter parenting. Right down to it being driven by a perceived threat cooked up by national news outlets which make parents think that something which is incredibly rare is coming for their kids. You have the cultural and legal corrective, all in the name of "protecting" the children. But in actuality what you do is stunt their social growth and resilience to placate the parents' anxieties which are stoked by a false sense of inflated risk. 

All of this banning of ideas in the name of protecting children from intellectual "dangers" is not going to go well for any of us. Mark my words. 

On 1/26/2022 at 9:27 AM, Spaztecs said:

It's the Nazis and Stasi all over again so that White GQPers don't get their feelings hurt.

https://www.businessinsider.com/glenn-youngkin-launches-tipline-report-teachers-2022-1

Except it's the exact opposite. Nazis and Stasi had moles, spies and stooges reporting the activities of citizens to the government.  In Virginia, citizens are enabled to report the misbehavior of government employees to the government

I understand you won't understand this very subtle difference.  you are after all a Leftist and therefore unread, innumerate and profoundly ignorant of historical events. You're comfortable that way. It means you don't have to apply reason or critical thought.  You just spew whatever Rick Maddow tells you through the TEE VEE.

So forget I said anything Comrade.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

2 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

Except it's the exact opposite. Nazis and Stasi had moles, spies and stooges reporting the activities of citizens to the government.  In Virginia, citizens are enabled to report the misbehavior of government employees to the government

I understand you won't understand this very subtle difference.  you are after all a Leftist and therefore unread, innumerate and profoundly ignorant of historical events. You're comfortable that way. It means you don't have to apply reason or critical thought.  You just spew whatever Rick Maddow tells you through the TEE VEE.

So forget I said anything Comrade.

I'm curious how you'd feel if there was the same system for cops.

14 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Well, the current movement to ban ideas from schools by force of law is very analogous to the rise of stranger danger and helicopter parenting. Right down to it being driven by a perceived threat cooked up by national news outlets which make parents think that something which is incredibly rare is coming for their kids. You have the cultural and legal corrective, all in the name of "protecting" the children. But in actuality what you do is stunt their social growth and resilience to placate the parents' anxieties which are stoked by a false sense of inflated risk. 

All of this banning of ideas in the name of protecting children from intellectual "dangers" is not going to go well for any of us. Mark my words. 

Children are very pliable. There’s the opposite extreme of biased progressive indoctrination within the public school system that conservative parents are concerned with. 

1 minute ago, soupslam1 said:

Children are very pliable. There’s the opposite extreme of biased indoctrination within the public school system that conservative parents are concerned with. 

Except that's the extreme that's being cooked up by national media outlets. Just like kidnappings and satanic rituals in the 80s.