Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spaztecs

Virginia's Republican governor, is launching a tip line for parents to report their kids' teachers

8 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

Oops, you're right.  None more perfect than all teachers.  

Lol. Well, nothing a state sponsored snitch line cant fix. Amirite?!

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

1 hour ago, SalinasSpartan said:

So are you ok with warrantless searches? I mean if there is nothing is amiss, the investigation will reveal that and the person being searched will be fine. Right? 

That somebody might abuse the reporting process is not an excuse not to have a reporting process.

No, I am not in favor of warrantless searches. 

There should be a penalty for bad faith reporting.  The company I worked my career with had multiple avenues for reporting things amiss.  Employees were encouraged to use local & opco management to rectify concerns when possible, but other avenues were ombudsman, hot line, audit committee (reports to board of directors), and possibly other avenues.  It is amazing how quickly finance, accounting, and various corporate crap disappears when viewed in the rear view mirror.

Edit - employees were promised no retaliation (can't remember the exact words) for reports made in good faith.

110926run_defense710.jpg

3 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

I covered that in my post a split second after your post.

So... definitely in favor of state sponsored snitch lines to report teachers for a problem you still can't or at least haven't been able to articulate?

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

3 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

So... definitely in favor of state sponsored snitch lines to report teachers for a problem you still can't or at least haven't been able to articulate?

Yes, there should be a reporting process above the local school district.

You sound like a union represented employee, with tenure or seeking tenure.

110926run_defense710.jpg

11 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

Yes, there should be a reporting process above the local school district.

You sound like a union represented employee, with tenure or seeking tenure.

I'm neither. And I've said from the beginning on here the one thing that teacher unions are good for is protecting teachers from shit like this. I believe in freedom. And that includes academic freedom, and the freedom of parents to go to private school if they dont want to learn about things like gravity and history.

You sound like a statist who hates local control, what with the desire for an ideas Gestapo and all.

8 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

I'm neither. And I've said from the beginning on here the one thing that teacher unions are good for is protecting teachers from shit like this. I believe in freedom. And that includes academic freedom, and the freedom of parents to go to private school if they dont want to learn about things like gravity and history.

You sound like a statist who hates local control, what with the desire for an ideas Gestapo and all.

Bullshit, you want teachers to be free to indoctrinate.  Interesting that you use the word snitches, you probably want them to end up in ditches, Amirite!?

110926run_defense710.jpg

10 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

Bullshit, you want teachers to be free to indoctrinate.  Interesting that you use the word snitches, you probably want them to end up in ditches, Amirite!?

LOL. 30 years ago, you'd be saying guys like me want teachers to be free to teach Satanism. The more things change, the more things stay the same. 

I'm still waiting for any actually compelling evidence that there is a problem with teachers "indoctrinating" children in public schools beyond the basic indoctrination that we all received in public schools... the kind that conservatives are OK with. Because every time I ask for specific examples, I get one of a few of the same stories that float around the internet that are not examples of actual in-class work at public schools being indoctrination. Or I get crickets. 

4 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

LOL. 30 years ago, you'd be saying guys like me want teachers to be free to teach Satanism. The more things change, the more things stay the same. 

I'm still waiting for any actually compelling evidence that there is a problem with teachers "indoctrinating" children in public schools beyond the basic indoctrination that we all received in public schools... the kind that conservatives are OK with. Because every time I ask for specific examples, I get one of a few of the same stories that float around the internet that are not examples of actual in-class work at public schools being indoctrination. Or I get crickets. 

I gave two examples were clearly the teachers should be fired, The crickets from you.

Your fears are unfounded.

110926run_defense710.jpg

22 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

I gave two examples were clearly the teachers should be fired, The crickets from you.

Your fears are unfounded.

No, you gave three examples of the same edited tape of a conversation by an organization that is known to publish bullshit in order to feed right-wing narratives. I asked for actual examples of in-class work, and you gave none. If you had actual video or tape of how he talks in class, and what his lessons are like, maybe it'd be filed under real evidence. But its just some guy throwing bluster around in a private conversation.  

Do you think I couldn't pose like a religious organization tomorrow and find teachers, good teachers, who I could get to say all sorts of things about how they try to influence students to accept God's love in their classroom? In Modesto? Cuz I've had those conversations with teachers in Modesto, teachers who I know in reality limit their actual "indoctrination" is being nice to kids, having a cross on their desk, and occasionally talking about going to church.  But I wouldn't try to submarine one of them? You know why? Cuz I'm not afraid of ideas.

You don't sound right now like someone who fears indoctrination. You sound like someone who fears teachers who have any ideas or viewpoints that you don't like. 

Again... find me the lesson, the assignment, the in-class material or content that is indoctrinating students. Cuz I posted the opposite just a few days ago - an assignment that asked students to defend slavery. Which seems so nuts it seems fake. 

10 hours ago, modestobulldog said:

I don't agree with qualified immunity, or civil asset forfeiture.  It should be [convicted] criminal asset forfeiture.

I agree too.  I also agree if a teacher is going well outside of the curriculum it needs to be dealt with.  And in fact, there are plenty instances of that happening already.  Given that this governor does not want accountability for officers, passed/supported the legislation to neuter teaching subjects that arbitrarily are "divisive" specifically citing the never-well-defined CRT, and now installs a hotline for students to submit reports anytime they feel uncomfortable (should go well), are you really going to say this is about teacher accountability, or can you admit this a part of the national opposition from the GOP to teaching history that reflects some of the negatives of America's past?  I mean, if we only teach the positives of our history, how is that not exactly the indoctrination that you are saying is going to happen without a snitch line?  The projection performed just a year ago where GOP leaders cried out "1984" to this is pretty evident of blatant hypocrisy here, no?  I don't see the point in defending this under the guise of a governor wanting "accountability" when he has clearly shown support in no accountability in other governmental functions.

10 hours ago, modestobulldog said:

This is why a reporting process is needed, school admins often ignore shit until it sees the light of day.

man good thing there is a snitch line in Virginia to snitch on one dude drinking beer and saying stuff

Modesto your solution is worse, far worse, than this guy. you get this, right?

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

Just now, happycamper said:

man good thing there is a snitch line in Virginia to snitch on one dude drinking beer and saying stuff

Modesto your solution is worse, far worse, than this guy. you get this, right?

I mean, we are giving kids a number to snitch on teachers.  What could go wrong here?  Not only that, it is going to get bombarded by non-students.  It's just dumb all around.  Do kids not talk to their parents, and are there not PTA's anymore?  It's grandstanding witchhunting, and a purposeful attack on public education.

34 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

It's grandstanding witchhunting, and a purposeful attack on public education.

No, it's an attack on Education they don't approve of. Namely anything that would cause someone to not believe in Santa Claus, Baby Jesus, or that White Slave Owners were good people.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

Seems like a case of "my indoctrination" is better than "your indoctrination."

Making America Great Again by ignoring any reference to structural racism... it was never discussed when America was "great" (is that what made America great?) so we really need to get back to that.

I think the worse part of all this is not the attempt at thought suppression, but the belief that teaching ideas is suddenly "indoctrination." Have our youth devolved to the point where they need to be shielded from ideas and are unable to discern their own belief system without the public school teachers showing them? That seems like the most un-American belief of all.

4 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Kind of like whistle blowers in the federal government amirite?! Parents should have no input on their child’s education amirite?!

This has nothing to do with parents.  It's a hotline for kids to make complaints on teachers.  Not one person in this thread has suggested no parental input, and in fact I have questioned why the parents aren't involved in this.

10 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Kind of like whistle blowers in the federal government amirite?! Parents should have no input on their child’s education amirite?!

I mean, no. You've brought up two totally different things for a third, different thing.

Whistle blowers in the federal government would be like teachers and administrators being able to report on each other. which.. they can, already. this has nothing to do with it. 

Parents already vote for state representatives, which control state level education policy and funding; vote for school boards, which do the same at the local level; have PTA meetings; and can choose their kids classes. They have an extreme input on their kid's education; far more than, say, people do over things that are engineered for them. I would say that not coincidentally, the product of engineers is superior to the product of teachers.

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard.