Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SalinasSpartan

Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer to retire

Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer will retire, giving President Joe Biden a crucial opportunity to replace the liberal justice, NBC News reported Wednesday.

Breyer at age 83 is the oldest member of the court. Former President Bill Clinton nominated him and he took his seat in 1994.

Breyer will retire as the high court, sporting a 6-3 conservative majority after the Senate confirmed three nominees of former President Donald Trump, shows a willingness to wade into divisive cultural issues and question long-standing judicial precedent.

NBC, citing people familiar with the decision, did not immediately report when Breyer is expected to step down or whether he will do so prior to the 2022 midterm elections.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/26/supreme-court-justice-stephen-breyer-to-retire-giving-biden-a-chance-to-nominate-a-replacement.html

Oh, shit. Here we go.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

6 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

It's a shame he couldn't have waited until after the '24 elections where he could be replaced with a legit conservative.

I hope the GOP at least forces them to go with a moderate dem.

Justice Obama coming up

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

6 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

It's a shame he couldn't have waited until after the '24 elections where he could be replaced with a legit conservative.

I almost wish the dems force some person that is qualified but gets the reps up in arms, similar to what happened with the two previous ones.  It will be funny to watch that play out, and really symbolize how stupid the rhetoric is in the end.

1 minute ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Oh, the gnashing of teeth on that one would be glorious.  There has to be some experience though as a judge I presume?  

I don't think there is. I think there have been justices in the past with no legal background. 

The constitution doesn't set forth any requirement like that I am pretty sure. 

2 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Oh, the gnashing of teeth on that one would be glorious.  There has to be some experience though as a judge I presume?  

What? Nah. Even having a law degree is a fairly recent consideration. They could nominate you or me or hell vladimir putin if they wanted to. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

22 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

:rotflmfao:

But, it's okay to appoint RW Extremists.

I can't wait for this shit show of the GQP losing it's collective shit 

Drama Popcorn GIF by Alexander IRL

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

8 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

The confirmation hearings should be fun. 

All the GOP has to do is prevent another Elena Kagan type of scumbag from getting confirmed.  Make them go with a moderate. 

Kagan is a moderate, dipshit.  Hell, there’s not a single “left wing” justice on the bench. Sotomayor is close, but she’s more left of center.  

1 minute ago, happycamper said:

What? Nah. Even having a law degree is a fairly recent consideration. They could nominate you or me or hell vladimir putin if they wanted to. 

Wanted:  Supreme Court Justice

Experience:  Not Required

People leaving college looking for entry-level positions but don't have 5 year's experience to qualify:

giphy.gif