Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Swoll Cracker

You Have One MWC Player to Pick To Start a Team - Who Are You Picking?

I have my own thoughts and biases but I’d really love to hear what others around the league think if they were running a basketball program and had first choice of any current MWC player.

Let’s hear your thoughts.  There are no wrong answers.

27 minutes ago, Swoll Cracker said:

I have my own thoughts and biases but I’d really love to hear what others around the league think if they were running a program and had first choice of any MWC player.

Let’s hear your thoughts.

basketball or football..?

Hunter Maldonado. Jack of all trades. Can play point and bang in the paint. Not really the best at anything, but really good at pretty much anything you could want on the court.

Grant Sherfield. True floor general. Lock down defender.

Orlando Robinson. True big man that can stretch the floor when needed. Unbelievable athletic for a 7 footer.

5809184128_5cf90ed7dc_b.jpg

1 hour ago, Swoll Cracker said:

I have my own thoughts and biases but I’d really love to hear what others around the league think if they were running a basketball program and had first choice of any current MWC player.

Let’s hear your thoughts.  There are no wrong answers.

image.jpeg.fddc560c4004e8cd0893c9d1b8c402cb.jpeg

2 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Ike, Robinson, or Mensah. Post play impacts the game more than any other position although Sherfield at PG is a close second. 

First person to mention Mensah. If youre a defensive oriented team, he makes a ton of sense.

You guys are fools. Having Max Rice on your team is an almost guaranteed natty.

However, if I couldn't have the golden child, I'd probably go with Roddy. Although Robinson or Ike would be good choices too. Add Stevens and Maldonado for a starting 5. With Bean, Mensah and Shavers coming off the bench. Then add Jeffries as the sniper. That team would be tight.

54 minutes ago, KingBronco said:

You guys are fools. Having Max Rice on your team is an almost guaranteed natty.

However, if I couldn't have the golden child, I'd probably go with Roddy. Although Robinson or Ike would be good choices too. Add Stevens and Maldonado for a starting 5. With Bean, Mensah and Shaver coming off the bench. Then add Jeffries as the sniper. That team would be tight.

EDIT: should have thrown Sherfield in initially too. Sherfield is probably at least equal to Stevens as a PG, but I'd take Stevens first because I don't like Sherfield's body language this year. Something is off with him and Nevada this season even though his numbers are still impressive.

I'm going with Roddy.  He can function in so many roles that it opens up the rest of the selections.  I definitely want Robinson.  Sherfield, Ike, and probably Maldonado round it out for me.  I look at it as standing on the court picking teams.  I'll pick Roddy first and hope I get some of those others.

Maldo is a good guy to have on any roster from a utility standpoint, but if you're looking for a star player to start building your roster with, it's Ike or Robinson.

@Swoll Crackeranother fun idea might be to build your ideal starting 5 with current conference players, using a max of 1 player per school. I might go:

PG - Sherfield

SG - Jeffries

SF - Bean

PF - Roddy

C - Robinson

Feels weird not putting Ike, but Jeffries sniper skills and above average rebounding is hard to pass up.

On 1/27/2022 at 9:18 PM, misplacedcowboy said:

Maldo is a good guy to have on any roster from a utility standpoint, but if you're looking for a star player to start building your roster with, it's Ike or Robinson.

@Swoll Crackeranother fun idea might be to build your ideal starting 5 with current conference players, using a max of 1 player per school. I might go:

PG - Sherfield

SG - Jeffries

SF - Bean

PF - Roddy

C - Robinson

Feels weird not putting Ike, but Jeffries sniper skills and above average rebounding is hard to pass up.

Jeffries is no. 20 in blocks while playing mostly on the perimeter. He is a great defender too. He probably won't get all conference, but it seems like many here recognize his value.

On 1/28/2022 at 1:27 PM, sdsuphilip4 said:

I think orlando robinson is the best player but I have a hard time starting a team with a center given the importance of guard play. Because of that I would take Isaiah Stevens I think. It’s interesting that this league is so big driven right now

I’ve stayed out of the conversation until now.

You have so many different ideas and philosophies in terms of where to start in building a team and I think they’re all valid.

If I’m a believer that a big is the most important player to build around, I’m taking Orlando Robinson. Its not often you find a 7-footer that plays all 94’ as well as him. I think Graham Ike could be that player as well but he’s still got some development ahead of him.

If I’m looking at the biggest mismatch in the MWC, I take David Roddy first. His ability to play the 5 in a small ball lineup provides the most lineup flexibility of any player currently in the MWC.

But in the end, I’m with you in terms of the importance of a guard to orchestrate an entire team. And because of my bias, I too would take Isaiah Stevens as my first player. I often say he plays a dual role for CSU. As the conductor of the orchestra and as first violin as well.