Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

robe

BYU and BSU is over

https://www.mercurynews.com/2022/01/25/pac-12-football-scheduling-brigham-youngs-move-to-the-big-12-could-be-highly-problematic

Here is the link about Stanford. Stanford was a great game during independence. I’m not sure it makes much sense on BYUs part to keep this over the BSU series. I have a feeling BYU will drop most of the Stanford games. 

Why play Nevada in 2024 instead of USU or BSU. Maybe we are only paying Nevada 100k for a one and done. 

The Masters 5k road race All American.

4 minutes ago, robe said:

https://www.mercurynews.com/2022/01/25/pac-12-football-scheduling-brigham-youngs-move-to-the-big-12-could-be-highly-problematic

Here is the link about Stanford. Stanford was a great game during independence. I’m not sure it makes much sense on BYUs part to keep this over the BSU series. I have a feeling BYU will drop most of the Stanford games. 

Why play Nevada in 2024 instead of USU or BSU. Maybe we are only paying Nevada 100k for a one and done. 

Still doesn't make that much sense to me but there are probably things in the background that are affecting things that we don't know and we don't know what is in the contract or such

4 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

Still doesn't make that much sense to me but there are probably things in the background that are affecting things that we don't know and we don't know what is in the contract or such

Curiosity is killing me on this one. A one and done for 100k. Nevada is getting something else. 

Some fans on cougar board are suggesting only one and dones with MWC teams from here on out. 

BYU should have started to play 7 home games years ago. I have no doubt we could get a FCS and G5 one and done each year. Asking that out of BSU, USU and SDSU would be a slap in the face to close friends.

16 minutes ago, robe said:

Makes sense to keep the Stanford road games for recruiting

2 hours ago, Del Scorcho said:

with conferences not willing to give up a 9 game conference schedule because of TV money, maybe a 13th regular season game?

They need to make it uniform. 

I'd prefer 8 across the board. Leaves 4 for OOC and more cross conference games, which I think brings increased interest and matchups. Do away with FCS games as well. No reason for Bama to play the Citadel.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

4 minutes ago, robe said:

Curiosity is killing me on this one. A one and done for 100k. Nevada is getting something else. 

Some fans on cougar board are suggesting only one and dones with MWC teams from here on out. 

BYU should have started to play 7 home games years ago. I have no doubt we could get a FCS and G5 one and done each year. Asking that out of BSU, USU and SDSU would be a slap in the face to close friends.

I don't think BYU would do that with Fresno or San Diego St either. I think BYU is trying to adjust their schedules so everything is kind of on hold. BYU is finding the same problem that Navy had with their schedules. To me I would be kind of like we do that for football, come play a baseball series with us or maybe a home and home basketball or something like that.

If it was a one and done, $100,000 is weak price

1 hour ago, robe said:

I haven’t heard anything about USU either. 

There is a PAC12 article that states from a P12 source that the USC game is over. Stanford is trying to retain all games and reschedule the 2020 game. BYU hasn’t approached Utah about canceling. So we can assume those remain.  No news on the Arizona or any other games.

I don't care about playing USC or Stanford. Those were uneven agreements, and BYU should opt out of those and move on. Bad deals from the start. The Arizona series was a road/neutral/neutral/home/road so I don't care if we finish that one out either. Basically I want to play Utah and if we play PAC teams OOC going forward that's fine, but I don't want to keep series that are bad agreements.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

40 minutes ago, Pelado said:

My guess is that BYU will play Utah as close to annually as possible.  They will probably also have an FCS opponent each year.

I was hopeful that the Boise series would continue, even if it had to alternate with Utah State.  If it is going to be a 9-game conference schedule in the Big 12, then it makes it more difficult.

Boise has been a good partner and if the B12 expands when Texas and OU leave, I hope they come with.

I've enjoyed the game and overall respectful tone of the series, despite knuckleheads on both sides.

I'm good playing USU, but not at the expense of playing Utah. If Utah or BYU wants to take a break schedule USU or Boise. 

BYU admin cares so much about optics though, so who knows how they'll handle things with the in state teams.

38 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

I believe most UU fans would like to renew a rivalry with USU, but I think the roadblock lies with Whittingham. Harlan doesn't make those decisions. Years ago Kyle mentioned he didn't like playing against Gary Anderson because they were friends. He also mentioned he didn't like two rivalry games (BYU/Utah) in the same year. I suspect Utah's loss in Logan the last time Utah traveled there didn't help.

Does it really have that much juice if you haven't played in a decade plus? I just think USU is going to have a hard time getting BYU and Utah in to Logan, and that may be a sticking point. USU has been a good partner to BYU so I hope things can get worked out

34 minutes ago, utenation said:

But we play BYU every year or most years and Kalani and Kyle are close friends. The Anderson ship has sailed at USU, so there shouldn't be an issue now.. We also shut down the basketball series with USU. It was a complete divorce.  There has to be a deeper reason somewhere.  And I don't know what it is. 

We have plenty of other MWC teams on the schedule, but not USU? I don't get it.

Sometimes I think we should just work out some sort of a rotation in state between the 3. The in state teams should play every year in bball, USU/BYU, BYU/Utah, Utah/USU. Those have some potential to be good games and all three tend to be good for building an NCAA resume, and are cheap travel in state.

11 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

I want us to do away with FCS. Pay game in Provo.

I get your point but I do like paying schools like Weber State 600k and support local teams. They need the money.  Our schedule has plenty of meat on the bone even playing an FCS team. 

28 minutes ago, robe said:

Nevada replaced UCF

I would suspect the Boise game is gone in 2024, and possibly the USU game.

12 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

Makes sense to keep the Stanford road games for recruiting

I don't think that's any sort of special game. I have no interest in late season games against Stanford.

1 minute ago, utenation said:

I get your point but I do like paying schools like Weber State 600k and support local teams. They need the money.  Our schedule has plenty of meat on the bone even playing an FCS team. 

I get that sentiment. 

I think it would be best for the overall competitive product to let them do their thing and if you need a pay game, pay someone to come play who is FBS. We have a game with Dixie coming up, and selling that to the home fans is lame, imo. I dunno, I see both sides. 

3 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

Nevada replaced UCF

I would suspect the Boise game is gone in 2024, and possibly the USU game.

I don't think that's any sort of special game. I have no interest in late season games against Stanford.

I get that sentiment. 

I think it would be best for the overall competitive product to let them do their thing and if you need a pay game, pay someone to come play who is FBS. We have a game with Dixie coming up, and selling that to the home fans is lame, imo. I dunno, I see both sides. 

I drove 900 miles to watch BYU play an FCS team. The local Provo fans tried to recruit me to move there. Maybe I’ll buy a condo and turn it into an Airbnb. 

13 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

Does it really have that much juice if you haven't played in a decade plus? I just think USU is going to have a hard time getting BYU and Utah in to Logan, and that may be a sticking point. USU has been a good partner to BYU so I hope things can get worked out

Long term the Logan thing might be an issue. But every game we've played with the MWC since joining the PAC has been a home and home.  So we don't want to go to Logan but we will go to Laramie in 2025 for a series with Wyo?

There's something political going on with UU/USU... Clearly our schedule is calculated but I've ran out of excuses on not playing USU..

7 minutes ago, utenation said:

Long term the Logan thing might be an issue. But every game we've played with the MWC since joining the PAC has been a home and home.  So we don't want to go to Logan but we will go to Laramie in 2025 for a series with Wyo?

There's something political going on with UU/USU... Clearly our schedule is calculated but I've ran out of excuses on not playing USU..

I'm with you. I wish you guys played. I understand the lack of games given only 3 ooc games, and one is usually BYU and the other is usually fcs. But, H/H with Wyoming, NIU, SDSU, Fresno, and SJSU makes me think something is amiss as well. I see your guys point of view of wanting to play teams like Florida. 

I wish everyone had 8 conference games, because it allows 4 games H/A and would create equity among the conferences in that regard, as well as allow for more OOC opportunities. 

1 hour ago, robe said:

I haven’t heard anything about USU either. 

There is a PAC12 article that states from a P12 source that the USC game is over. Stanford is trying to retain all games and reschedule the 2020 game. BYU hasn’t approached Utah about canceling. So we can assume those remain.  No news on the Arizona or any other games.

Yeah I’m guessing the Fresno game is done also.