Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

robe

BYU and BSU is over

11 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I suspect BYU’s OOC scheduling going forward will mostly include Utah, FCS, and west coast school.

That will greatly depend on whether the Big 12 adopts an 8 or 9 game conference schedule.   From what I have seen and heard, USU will be on BYU's schedule quite often, possibly every/nearly every year if there are 4 OOC games.

3 minutes ago, NowhereLandAggie said:

That will greatly depend on whether the Big 12 adopts an 8 or 9 game conference schedule.   From what I have seen and heard, USU will be on BYU's schedule quite often, possibly every/nearly every year if there are 4 OOC games.

Curious. Not saying you are wrong but has either school publicly said they will still continue? 

I’ve done no research on it.

7 minutes ago, utenation said:

Curious. Not saying you are wrong but has either school publicly said they will still continue? 

Publicly the Boise AD stated in his conversations this was why.

Also since BYU and Utah are taking a few years off, USU is sure to be on there.  USU has stated they want to continue instate games, don't have time to look up quotes, but they have been talked about as having value.

3 minutes ago, NowhereLandAggie said:

Also since BYU and Utah are taking a few years off, USU is sure to be on there.  USU has stated they want to continue instate games, don't have time to look up quotes, but they have been talked about as having value.

Looks like BYU/USU is inked through 2026 as of today. I’ve always been for a rotation with Utah, BYU and USU but I don’t make decisions. 

BYU as an Indy having to find 12 games a year is likely burning the midnight oil on contracts right now with the B12 move. 

I hope BYU/USU sticks around. 

6 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

with conferences not willing to give up a 9 game conference schedule because of TV money, maybe a 13th regular season game?

Not every conference does a 9 game schedule.   I have heard the PAC-12 is looking at an 8 game conference schedule, but that would also be involved with a BIG scheduling alliance.

https://sports.yahoo.com/pac-12-commish-would-love-conference-to-go-to-8-conference-games-and-start-annual-football-series-with-big-ten-130327788.html

1 hour ago, NowhereLandAggie said:

We’ll see…. I have my doubts.

v0icAvfW.jpg

59 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

We’ll see…. I have my doubts.

Yes we shall.   It is on tap for at least the next 5 seasons, but a lot can change between now and then.

Not overly concerned truthfully, just stating what has and is scheduled to happen.  Tom Holmoe will be 67 when the current series expires, and USU and BYU have played almost every year since he took over.   If there is a new AD and no extension in the contract, then it is less likely to be an annual occurrence.

I think we'll see an eventual rotation or alternating year match ups with UU, USU, BYU. I don't think we'll see UU vs BYU every season and I don't think we'll see USU vs BYU every season. I'm not sure we'll see a UU vs USU match up ever again. Harlan has made comments about wanting to keep BYU on the future schedules when it works out for both sides but he has never addressed the USU situation. This game has not happened for a decade now and the more time that passes, the easier it is for Utah to pretend it wasn't one of the top 12 most played series in all of college football before it ended. For some reason he's fine with scheduling H/H's with other MWC teams but not the one next door to him that his school shares over 100 years of tradition with.

Maybe BYU will follow suit and work USU out of their future schedules too, I don't know. We've always been a good partner for their needed Friday night game on conference weekend but maybe they will change their stance about that too. I have never known BYU to do anything but act in their own interests, although that is expected of any school. I've also never known them to do any favors for USU and have often done anything and everything to keep them out of anything that would be deemed to be on BYU's "level". 

At this point all 3 have grown into programs that have helped rep the state and it's a shame that we'll see less and less of the 3 of them matching up on the field.

14 minutes ago, TrueAg said:

I think we'll see an eventual rotation or alternating year match ups with UU, USU, BYU. I don't think we'll see UU vs BYU every season and I don't think we'll see USU vs BYU every season. I'm not sure we'll see a UU vs USU match up ever again. Harlan has made comments about wanting to keep BYU on the future schedules when it works out for both sides but he has never addressed the USU situation. This game has not happened for a decade now and the more time that passes, the easier it is for Utah to pretend it wasn't one of the top 12 most played series in all of college football before it ended. For some reason he's fine with scheduling H/H's with other MWC teams but not the one next door to him that his school shares over 100 years of tradition with.

Maybe BYU will follow suit and work USU out of their future schedules too, I don't know. We've always been a good partner for their needed Friday night game on conference weekend but maybe they will change their stance about that too. I have never known BYU to do anything but act in their own interests, although that is expected of any school. I've also never known them to do any favors for USU and have often done anything and everything to keep them out of anything that would be deemed to be on BYU's "level". 

At this point all 3 have grown into programs that have helped rep the state and it's a shame that we'll see less and less of the 3 of them matching up on the field.

In a nutshell, he really side stepped the issue. He basically said Utah has to do what's best for the Utes. And I've heard no news of that changing. I've already said, I wish we could rotate. 

2 hours ago, utenation said:

I haven’t heard anything about USU either. 

There is a PAC12 article that states from a P12 source that the USC game is over. Stanford is trying to retain all games and reschedule the 2020 game. BYU hasn’t approached Utah about canceling. So we can assume those remain.  No news on the Arizona or any other games.

The Masters 5k road race All American.

23 minutes ago, TrueAg said:

USU has been a good partner. Reluctantly I have to say so has Utah. 

The Masters 5k road race All American.

My guess is that BYU will play Utah as close to annually as possible.  They will probably also have an FCS opponent each year.

I was hopeful that the Boise series would continue, even if it had to alternate with Utah State.  If it is going to be a 9-game conference schedule in the Big 12, then it makes it more difficult.

40 minutes ago, TrueAg said:

I believe most UU fans would like to renew a rivalry with USU, but I think the roadblock lies with Whittingham. Harlan doesn't make those decisions. Years ago Kyle mentioned he didn't like playing against Gary Anderson because they were friends. He also mentioned he didn't like two rivalry games (BYU/Utah) in the same year. I suspect Utah's loss in Logan the last time Utah traveled there didn't help.

8 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

I believe most UU fans would like to renew a rivalry with USU, but I think the roadblock lies with Whittingham. Harlan doesn't make those decisions. Years ago Kyle mentioned he didn't like playing against Gary Anderson because they were friends. He also mentioned he didn't like two rivalry games (BYU/Utah) in the same year. I suspect Utah's loss in Logan the last time Utah traveled there didn't help.

But we play BYU every year or most years and Kalani and Kyle are close friends. The Anderson ship has sailed at USU, so there shouldn't be an issue now.. We also shut down the basketball series with USU. It was a complete divorce.  There has to be a deeper reason somewhere.  And I don't know what it is. 

We have plenty of other MWC teams on the schedule, but not USU? I don't get it.

4 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Yeah, hopefully it will resume if Boise State gets a Big 12 invite. It’s been a great series. 

Hopefully?  It will resume if you get that invite.