Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Swoll Cracker

Today in MWC Hoops - 1/25/22 - FIRST PLACE MATCHUP+3 OTHERS! - WHO YA’ GOT?

2 minutes ago, ltcpilot said:

In the win AF freshman Moerman ties AF record with 6 blocks and is #3 in the MWC

GO FALCONS 

The Falcoñs have a lot to look forward to in basketball the next few years. And don’t have the losing players through the portal worries as much as other MWC schools. 

14 minutes ago, KingBronco said:

I'm super glad the conference in their infinite wisdom decided it was cool for BSU to play 6 of their first 9 conference games on the road...but we've navigated it pretty impressively so far. Unlike last year, BSU's sched has ended up being really front loaded with tougher games this season. If they can split these next two roadies at Fresno and Wyo they'll be sitting in pretty good position to stay on top. The back half of conference is lighter and there will be a boatload of home games.

Yeah we’re sitting pretty good right now and will be in great shape if we split the next two road games. I’m hoping we are able to reschedule the home game with CSU as that could have a huge bearing on the conference race. It looks like there is an opening in both school schedules on Feb 17th. 

9 hours ago, KingBronco said:

Most BSU fans think Armus is going back to Europe to play professionally. Akot could potentially get drafted late in the 2nd round of the NBA draft (he's showed up in several mocks). If he isn't drafted, he still might go pro or he could stay another year to try and improve his draft stock. Shaver is probably the most likely starter to come back. Our backup big Milner and Naje Smith, our 6th man, are almost certain to come back next year.

Is kigab gone next yea?

32 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Yeah we’re sitting pretty good right now and will be in great shape if we split the next two road games. I’m hoping we are able to reschedule the home game with CSU as that could have a huge bearing on the conference race. It looks like there is an opening in both school schedules on Feb 17th. 

I agree... this game needs to get rescheduled for both programs benefit.

12 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

I think my son's favorite player in the conference is Jeffries.

Texted my buddy last night during the game and told him that Jeffries is my favorite player on the team. Just a hell of a player. He was a one trick pony last year. Has really stepped up his defense and rebounding this season. Plays with an edge.

5809184128_5cf90ed7dc_b.jpg

1 hour ago, Bob said:

Is kigab gone next yea?

Yep, this is his Covid senior season. He’s the only one gone for sure although it’s likely Shaver, Armus, and Akot won’t be back either. Naje Smith will likely return plus Degenhart and Rice. 

It’s going to be a major rebuild and bottom half of the conference next year unless Boise State gets some good players from the portal. The subs and three guys redshirting don’t look like immediate impact players. Hard to tell until you see them get major playing time. 

10 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Yep, this is his Covid senior season. He’s the only one gone for sure although it’s likely Shaver, Armus, and Akot won’t be back either. Naje Smith will likely return plus Degenhart. 

It’s going to be a major rebuild and bottom half of the conference next year unless Boise State gets some good players from the portal. The subs and three guys redshirting don’t look like immediate impact players. 

Boise State, Utah State, and San Diego State are going to need great success in the portal if they want to compete at the top of the MWC next season. Aztecs have a long history of doing that. Boise and Utah State do not. The top of the MWC should be occupied by CSU, Wyoming, Nevada, and possibly Fresno next season (if Robinson were to return). New Mexico, AFA, and SJSU are young and will improve but probably wont be ready to compete at the top unless they make some significant additions.

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

I think there’s a wait and see on re-scheduling Boise-CSU. Thompson completely effed up the MWC last season with some stupid final week scheduling that definitely cost the MWC a bid. I think they’ll evaluate Boise and CSU and it they feel they’re both pretty much locks for at-larges, then they wont re-schedule.

I can pretty much guarantee they wont re-schedule either CSU or San Diego State to visit UNM. Too much risk and no real benefit to playing those games when it comes to at-larges.

35 minutes ago, Swoll Cracker said:

Boise State, Utah State, and San Diego State are going to need great success in the portal if they want to compete at the top of the MWC next season. Aztecs have a long history of doing that. Boise and Utah State do not. The top of the MWC should be occupied by CSU, Wyoming, Nevada, and possibly Fresno next season (if Robinson were to return). New Mexico, AFA, and SJSU are young and will improve but probably wont be ready to compete at the top unless they make some significant additions.

I don’t see Robinson returning. He’ll likely be drafted if he declares for the NBA. I’m resigned to Boise State falling next year. The subs and guys they have redshirting don’t impress me. 

Will Roddy return for CSU? Wyoming will be the class of the MWC next year if all their guys come back and Roddy leaves. SDSU seems to always reload and will likely do so again. Nevada could be good depending on who returns. Air Force has impressed me and will move up in the standings. UNLV, who knows?

I don’t see the MWC being as good next year but could be wrong. The portal can change things in a hurry. 

47 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Yep, this is his Covid senior season. He’s the only one gone for sure although it’s likely Shaver, Armus, and Akot won’t be back either. Naje Smith will likely return plus Degenhart and Rice. 

It’s going to be a major rebuild and bottom half of the conference next year unless Boise State gets some good players from the portal. The subs and three guys redshirting don’t look like immediate impact players. Hard to tell until you see them get major playing time. 

I bet you get some good transfers.

29 minutes ago, Swoll Cracker said:

I think there’s a wait and see on re-scheduling Boise-CSU. Thompson completely effed up the MWC last season with some stupid final week scheduling that definitely cost the MWC a bid. I think they’ll evaluate Boise and CSU and it they feel they’re both pretty much locks for at-larges, then they wont re-schedule.

I can pretty much guarantee they wont re-schedule either CSU or San Diego State to visit UNM. Too much risk and no real benefit to playing those games when it comes to at-larges.

What about SDSU to Wyo?

17 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

I don’t see Robinson returning. He’ll likely be drafted if he declares for the NBA. I’m resigned to Boise State falling next year. The subs and guys they have redshirting don’t impress me. 

Will Roddy return for CSU? Wyoming will be the class of the MWC next year if all their guys come back and Roddy leaves. SDSU seems to always reload and will likely do so again. Nevada could be good depending on who returns. Air Force has impressed me and will move up in the standings

I don’t see the MWC being as good next year but could be wrong. The portal can change things in a hurry. 

Roddy will be back if he’s not drafted. Stevens too. They love the culture at CSU and currently see no need to explore other opportunities via the portal. 

Just now, soupslam1 said:

I was thinking more about them declaring for the NBA. 

I think they’ll both explore opportunities in the Draft. I’m not sure either will be drafted after this season. Both have really upped their games but I’m not sure either is perceived as NBA-ready right now.

4 minutes ago, Swoll Cracker said:

I think they’ll both explore opportunities in the Draft. I’m not sure either will be drafted after this season. Both have really upped their games but I’m not sure either is perceived as NBA-ready right now.

I think Stevens definitely is. Roddy is one of those tweeners. Not big enough to play on the front line or quick enough to play guard. However, Charles Barkley was about the same size and had a great career so who knows. 

Just now, soupslam1 said:

I think Stevens is. Roddy is one of those tweeners. Not big enough to play on the front line or quick enough to play guard. However, Charles Barkley was about the same size and had a great career so who knows. 

Roddy is such an interesting player. Obviously a complete mismatch for teams in the MWC. whether that translates to the NBA is another story. I will say this. His growth in this past off-season was tremendous in terms of his ability to put the ball on the floor and to shoot from the perimeter. Another off-season like that and he’ll be an absolute monster, especially if he can maintain the same level of strength while reducing some body fat.