Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bornontheblue

Stupid SOB

3 minutes ago, HR_Poke said:

True, he's just a man and as flawed as all of us. I just find this low level of expectation disturbing.  

Like Darth Vader finding his subordinate admirals in the imperial navy lack of faith in the force disturbing....

Well I think a clear distinction is he apologized for the comment.   Had he not and claimed it was a perfect news conference I would be more inclined to agree with you.   Also the press on both sides have gotten into the game of trolling comments.  I’m not so sad to see those reporters called out.  

21 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Yes, but there is a difference between arguing as a family and arguing as enemies. It’s a fine line between a robust marketplace of ideas and out and out sectarianism. I fear we’re inching dangerously close to that line.

Point me to this mythic past when social conservatives considered the people existing and operating outside of the cultural and social mainstream to be part of the same family. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

2 hours ago, HR_Poke said:

I expect a level of professionalism from anyone over the age of 16 when working any part of their job.  Certainly no one is perfect and we all slip up occasionally when we shouldn't.  This definitely is not a big deal in the grand scheme of American politics.  What I find incredibly disturbing is so many are willing to accept something like this as simply ok, purely because the previous president was worse.  So now the bar is so low that as long as he's not as bad as the last guy we are ok with unprofessional behavior?   You don't see how continued lowering of standards for politicians is bad for everyone?

This is more about Fox News being a scourge on American democracy than it is about trump.   Peter ducking Doucy is the civility hill you want to die on?  Every Fox News “reporter” should be excommunicated from every news event.  

Also, I’m pretty +++++ing sick of all the nepotism in media.  Megan McCain deserves zero platform. Same with Jenna bush.  Wtf, there are brilliant J-school grads from poor households who could actually provide an intelligent take on TV and ask better questions than the son of a witless MAGA chud.   

1 minute ago, smltwnrckr said:

Point me to this mythic past when social conservatives considered the people existing and operating outside of the cultural and social mainstream to be part of the same family. 

Exactly.  The biggest reason for the cultural divide was the civil rights movement.  When conservatives found out that their white utopia was going to be besmirched by blacks holding office and eating at lunch counters, they went crazy pants with the culture war from 1970-on.  The match was school integration. Makes the mask wars right now sound downright cute.  

2 minutes ago, Orygun said:

This is more about Fox News being a scourge on American democracy than it is about trump.   Peter ducking Doucy is he civility hill you want to die on?  Every Fox News “reporter” should be excommunicated from every news event.  

Sometimes crazy can be funny. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

3 minutes ago, Orygun said:

Exactly.  The biggest reason for the cultural divide was the civil rights movement.  When conservatives found out that their white utopia was going to be besmirched by blacks holding office and eating at lunch counters, they went crazy pants with the culture war from 1970-on.  The match was school integration. Makes the mask wars right now sound downright cute.  

There was a cultural divide before the civil rights movement. It was just imposed by the state. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

Just now, smltwnrckr said:

There was a cultural divide before the civil rights movement. It was just imposed by the state. 

Ok, then civil rights brought it out into the open by ending the racial segregation the Right enforced for 300 years. 

20 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Answering a question in a "straightforward manner" might be too much to ask of Biden. 

Calling someone a "Stupid SOB" because you are uncomfortable with the question is very unprofessional and unbecoming for a POTUS. 

It was a legitimate question.  Biden would have been better served by simply saying "I'm not going to get into that right now."

Any experienced politician should be able to brush aside questions like that easily. 

Yet, the Orange Shit Stain is exempt from this policy.

donald trump fun GIF by Ghostqiao

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

31 minutes ago, Orygun said:

I love how you talk as if 80% of this board doesn’t realize what you don’t know: Fox News is an anti-democracy propaganda machine for the right wing.  

Ok. CNN and MSNBC are the same, but for the other team. 

Seriously, all cable news is complete garbage. They are all just cheerleaders for their own team.  I pretty much get my news from paid subscription services that have a outstanding reputation for quality journalism. 

36 minutes ago, Orygun said:

I love how you talk as if 80% of this board doesn’t realize what you don’t know: Fox News is an anti-democracy propaganda machine for the right wing.  

Yeah, freely expressing opposing opinions and views is a huge threat to democracy. 

Are the left wing cable shows a threat to democracy too, or is that threat limited to right wing cable shows?

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

1 hour ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Who said they should be?  I was pointing out the flaws in @renoskier's assertion that one side is tolerant and the other is not. 

You did.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

9 hours ago, bornontheblue said:

The never ending culture war is exhausting I agree. But it is not going away anytime soon. 

I find that most people who decry the culture wars are active participants on their team though , and that is demonstrated on this board multiple times daily. Include me in that. 

Both sides in the culture war are in search of total and complete victory which will never happen of course, and so the battle will rage on indefinitely. 

What do you think could foster people to lay down their divisive tactics of the culture wars and bring about a more unifying culture, rather than the divisive, petty , abusive society we find ourselves in? 

Disagreement will always exist in many forms. It's the bedrock of a healthy functional democracy. Culture wars are a construct made up to more narrowly define powerless people by party affiliation in order to more easily count on a predetermined vote. It's purposefully dehumanizing, and only exists to further a political status quo and keep seats safe.

But yeah, you're 100% right, people get really freaking invested in it then turn around claim victimization. It's a dangerously effective tactic that reinforces how right someone is without any investment of critical analysis. I do disagree that both sides want total victory though. That's just a talking point they both use to drum up fear in furthering the culture war. They want that status quo campaign money and power via reliable votes in perpetuity. Both sides need each other to continue the ruse. 

Now this is my favorite part. A search for a solution. Tbh, I think it's pretty clear that our system has not evolved with enough checks and balances to the corruption that's evolved with time. Our system has been broken by the two party duopoly, and we're seeing that play out before our eyes with the low level of candidates being attracted to and winning positions of power. You can probably boil it all down to money. 

Campaign finance reform helps, but isn't an end all. I love the idea of giving each citizen an allotment of "freedom dollars" designated only for the purpose of campaign donation. Dirty influence money/donations needs much tighter restrictions if not elimination, and I think restricting the lobbying industry would help. Term limits can help. Making the actual position of holding office more transparently lucrative and desirable in order to attract a better level of candidate. Attaching a rotational community review apparatus to levels of decision making(think of jury duty). 

I think there's a lot of things that could help at a root cause level, we just need to invest in these ideas and solutions as a diverse electorate with common desires. There are candidates that propose these ideas right now, but many can't pierce the veil of our two party duopoly. Where our best chance starts is at the local level and being more invested in our decision making there. Then move up the line.

Or we could all just start with this approach to culture war bullshit. That'd help.

1 hour ago, RagingBulldog said:

Disagreement will always exist in many forms. It's the bedrock of a healthy functional democracy. Culture wars are a construct made up to more narrowly define powerless people by party affiliation in order to more easily count on a predetermined vote. It's purposefully dehumanizing, and only exists to further a political status quo and keep seats safe.

But yeah, you're 100% right, people get really freaking invested in it then turn around claim victimization. It's a dangerously effective tactic that reinforces how right someone is without any investment of critical analysis. I do disagree that both sides want total victory though. That's just a talking point they both use to drum up fear in furthering the culture war. They want that status quo campaign money and power via reliable votes in perpetuity. Both sides need each other to continue the ruse. 

Now this is my favorite part. A search for a solution. Tbh, I think it's pretty clear that our system has not evolved with enough checks and balances to the corruption that's evolved with time. Our system has been broken by the two party duopoly, and we're seeing that play out before our eyes with the low level of candidates being attracted to and winning positions of power. You can probably boil it all down to money. 

Campaign finance reform helps, but isn't an end all. I love the idea of giving each citizen an allotment of "freedom dollars" designated only for the purpose of campaign donation. Dirty influence money/donations needs much tighter restrictions if not elimination, and I think restricting the lobbying industry would help. Term limits can help. Making the actual position of holding office more transparently lucrative and desirable in order to attract a better level of candidate. Attaching a rotational community review apparatus to levels of decision making(think of jury duty). 

I think there's a lot of things that could help at a root cause level, we just need to invest in these ideas and solutions as a diverse electorate with common desires. There are candidates that propose these ideas right now, but many can't pierce the veil of our two party duopoly. Where our best chance starts is at the local level and being more invested in our decision making there. Then move up the line.

Or we could all just start with this approach to culture war bullshit. That'd help.

I can watch the video tomorrow and post additional thoughts. 

This  is very refreshing and this board sorely needs dialogue like this. I’m guilty of the nasty tone just at as much as any other around here. This board is just a microcosm for society at large though. 

I call it refreshing dialogue because I’m not necessarily sure I agree with everything you said, but you said it it in a non attacking manor that enduces further thought, and maybe I could be persuaded. 

12 hours ago, Jackrabbit said:

Ever notice there are more MAGA/ Brandon shirts than BUILD BACK BETTER hats/shirts?

Ever notice Biden and Hilary got more votes than Trump?

12 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

Yet, the Orange Shit Stain is exempt from this policy.

donald trump fun GIF by Ghostqiao

I think you’re now in the lead of being the most triggered and unstable Trump-Q goof on the board. I present you with this shit stained award 🥉 with my appreciation for the entertainment it provides many of us. And it’s people like you that provide much appreciated jobs and job security for our country’s beloved and respected secret service agents. So in a weird twisted way, thank you for being you! 

image.png.c92d0224092044d8eb51d33c572f3ca7.png

kat.jpg

1 hour ago, toonkee said:

Ever notice Biden and Hilary got more votes than Trump?

Ever notice that’s not how you win? If total votes were the way to win, it would require a totally different campaigning strategy. The way that the GOP is now 50/50 with Hispanic voters and trending to move ahead, it might not be long where dumpster Trump is gone and it’s the Dems that want the border sealed and love the Electoral College. Be careful what you wish for. But as for right now, until total votes are the new way to win, bragging about having more base hits and less errors than the team that beat you is just silly. 

kat.jpg