bornontheblue

Land war in Europe game thread! (with poll)

US Response to Russian Invasion of Ukraine  

65 members have voted

1. 1. What should the US response to a Russian invasion of Ukraine be?

• Nuke 'em
    • Full conventional military response, troops, tanks, fighters etc take part in defense of Ukraine
    • Air/missile strikes against key Russian military targets
    • Economic embargo of Russia
    • Economic sanctions against Russia
    • Cutoff diplomatic relations with Russia
    • Nothing.

On 10/4/2022 at 10:28 AM, bsu_alum9 said:

Not sure he is wrong on that one.  Berniebro Jeffrey Sachs also believes that to be the case.

I’d like to see more proof of this before I buy it. It would be in Russia’s best interest to exploit this to the fullest. 

Radar evidence of US helicopters hovering over the site? Hmmmmm.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2022 at 1:03 PM, TheSanDiegan said:

Gotta love the reply by the former Ukrainian ambassador to Germany:

Didn't Elon give Ukraine free internet when Russia cut the power? I'm not saying Elon should be involved in the politics of the war, but telling him to F off when he gave them life saving internet and telecommunications to fight the war early on seems kinda childish.

• Like 1

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

On 10/4/2022 at 5:01 PM, ridgeview2 said:

Didn't Elon give Ukraine free internet when Russia cut the power? I'm not saying Elon should be involved in the politics of the war, but telling him to F off when he gave them life saving internet and telecommunications to fight the war early on seems kinda childish.

i have some buddies who have helped me move. but if they went "hey how about also your youngest belongs to your brother in law" i'd probably tell them to +++++ off

• Like 2

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

On 10/4/2022 at 3:01 PM, ridgeview2 said:

Starlink has no doubt been incredibly useful.

Doesn't mean Elon should dictate terms of peace. Especially with the illegal annexation of more territory that had been invaded and partially destroyed by said invading force.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2022 at 1:57 PM, utenation said:
On 10/4/2022 at 9:28 AM, bsu_alum9 said:

Not sure he is wrong on that one.  Berniebro Jeffrey Sachs also believes that to be the case.

Expand  

I’d like to see more proof of this before I buy it. It would be in Russia’s best interest to exploit this to the fullest. 

Radar evidence of US helicopters hovering over the site? Hmmmmm.

Lots of speculation going on.

Some sources are saying the Russian sub Belgorod was involved before heading out to test the Poseidon weapon system:

The new submarine was launched in July and is now reportedly submerged in Arctic waters after its possible involvement in the sabotage of the Nord Stream gas pipelines, according to several unofficial sources.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/nato-warns-of-mobilization-of-russian-submarine-belgorod-carrier-of-the-weapon-of-apocalypse/ar-AA12vwWP?li=BBnb7Kz

Others are claiming the Swedish navy went all the way to Kaliningrad as if it was tracking a Russian sub from the leak area back to the base.

Lots of interesting speculation.

On 10/4/2022 at 2:01 PM, ridgeview2 said:

• Like 6

On 10/4/2022 at 2:01 PM, ridgeview2 said:

Fair point, though I can certainly appreciate where the former ambassador is coming from. I mean, he initially saved them just to push them towards capitulation? :blink:

It reminds me of an old joke I wrote: What do you call a woman who's an angel half the time and a c*nt the other half?

A c*nt. :ph34r:

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

Ukraine news is addicting (I’ve been on the DailyKos site a lot)

Couple thoughts that I’ve been thinking but haven’t read anywhere:

- water temp on the Dinpro River has fallen to below swimmable conditions as we head into October.  50-60 degrees F.  The trap is really set.

- if you look at the geography of Ukraine, the Luhansk oblast and Donetsk oblast are actually a land bridge to Russia.  Meaning, if Ukraine captures and disrupts transportation in those areas, the entire occupied South gets cut off from   Russia, except for the Crimean bridge.  If I’m thinking this right, then Ukraine might continue to sweep down and flank from Luhansk down into the Donbas and then cut off the South from Russia and then blow the Bridge.

392DE1BF-A4A6-47C0-80EC-A51703F137EC.png

• Like 1

I have to hand it to Biden and the military.  They resisted the criticisms to give Ukraine boondoggle expensive types of equipment like Abrams, helicopters, and planes.  Hindsight shows that Russia had plenty of this stuff that was easily dispatched by stingers and javelins.  I honestly think most of this equipment is way past its prime and will be replaced by UAVs, artillery, and missiles.

The military and the Biden administration instead loaded them up with missiles and artillery.  Or course, we didn't need egg on our faces after seeing the Afghan army collapse.  We gave them enough to hold on and saw how they used it.  We didn't need to just hand over a ton of equipment to the Russians.

After proving themselves, the Biden admin began to give them more advance artillery and then HIMARs.  They didn't always get what they wanted....but they got what they need...to quote the Rolling Stones.  This new delivery seems to give them what they need again.

We gave them a massive fleet of 200 of these mine and ambush resistant vehicles.  These are going to be put to great use to encircle and flank the Russians to repeat tactics and victories in places like Lyman.  The Russians are abandoning their heavy tanks and vehicles in droves as they retreat to steal civilian vehicles that actually have mobility and protection.  The Biden admin is giving them what they need to encircle and run circles around the Russians. 

• Like 1
Posted Image

On 10/4/2022 at 4:20 PM, bsu_alum9 said:

Thanks for correcting me. I'm not a big Elon fan, but I remember back at the beginning of the war they announced that Elon had donated Starlink, but I guess the US didn't want to announce that they paid for it.

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-technology-misinformation-0da59f7a72705c5f3fcdb59af1fc7af0

Experts: Russia finding new ways to spread propaganda videos

English-language versions of the Russian propaganda videos are now circulating on Twitter and lesser-known platforms popular with American conservatives, including Gab and Truth Social, created by former President Donald Trump, giving Russia a direct conduit to millions of people.

In an indication of the Kremlin’s ambitions and the sprawling reach of its disinformation operations, versions of the videos were also created in Spanish, Italian, German and more than a dozen other languages.

The latest effort revealed by analysts at Nisos involved uploading propaganda videos to Telegram, a loosely moderated platform that is broadly popular in Eastern Europe and used by many conservatives in the United States. In some cases, watermarks identifying the video as RT’s were removed in a further attempt to disguise their source.

Once on Telegram, the videos were downloaded and reposted on platforms including Twitter without indications that the video was produced by Russian state media. Hundreds of accounts that later posted or reposted the videos were linked by Nisos researchers to the Russian military, embassies or state media.

Some of the accounts appeared to use fake profile photos or posted content in strange ways that suggested they were inauthentic.

One example: a Twitter account supposedly run by a woman living in Japan that had a singular interest in Russian propaganda. Instead of posting about a variety of topics such as entertainment, food, travel or family, the account user only posted Russian propaganda videos — and not just in Japanese, but also in Farsi, Polish, Spanish and Russian.

Last week, Russia sought to spread a baseless conspiracy theory blaming the U.S. for sabotage to the Nord Stream natural gas pipelines in the Baltic Sea.

The same week, Meta announced the discovery of a sprawling Russian disinformation network that created websites designed to look like major European news outlets. Instead of news, the websites carried propaganda intended to drive a wedge between Ukraine and its western allies.

That operation was the largest of its kind to originate in Russia since the war began, researchers concluded.