bornontheblue

Land war in Europe game thread! (with poll)

US Response to Russian Invasion of Ukraine  

65 members have voted

1. 1. What should the US response to a Russian invasion of Ukraine be?

• Nuke 'em
    • Full conventional military response, troops, tanks, fighters etc take part in defense of Ukraine
    • Air/missile strikes against key Russian military targets
    • Economic embargo of Russia
    • Economic sanctions against Russia
    • Cutoff diplomatic relations with Russia
    • Nothing.

On 10/11/2022 at 5:30 PM, UNLV2001 said:

LOL. I chortled my drink. Thank you for sharing. 

• Cheers 1

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

On 10/12/2022 at 1:50 PM, VandalPride97 said:

They just can't do it.  It's like watching monkeys trying to fuk a football.

image.jpeg

• Haha 1

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

On 10/12/2022 at 10:50 AM, VandalPride97 said:

They just can't do it.  It's like watching monkeys trying to fuk a football.

Man, Idaho must be boringAF... I wouldn't even know where to begin to look for some good old fashioned monkey football shagging around here... TJ, maybe? :hmmm:

• Like 1

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

It is a fair question to ask is supporting Ukraine in the US’s strategic interests?  

I think the answer is yes for the following reasons:

I would argue that if we allowed Putin to overrun Ukraine with no opposition that Estonia and Taiwan would be next. 

Estonia would invoke Article 5 and Russia would be even stronger as they could and would force Ukrainians to be the point of attack. The US would have boots on the ground as opposed to just sending weapons. 

Taiwan would also require boots on the ground as it would result in Taiwan controlling TSMC and our military being at risk.

The current strategy has done the following: 

1) re-cemented NATO as an effective source 

2) signaled to Russia and China that any further expansion would not be a walk in the park without having to put US boots on the ground.

3) degraded Russian forces making it harder for them to contemplate further expansion in NATO countries.

4) deprived Russia from acquiring hundreds of thousands of incremental Ukrainian miltary (trained by the US and aware of US tactics) that could have been used against NATO.

5) Created a capable new ally in Ukraine 

Given all the points above, I would say arming Ukraine is absolutely in our strategic interests. Boots on the ground would not be as part of our strategic interest is avoiding boots on the ground against Russia. 

Lastly asking a valid question of is this action in US interests is different than echoing Putin talking points of: Russia has legitimate reasons, Ukrainians are Fascists, Ukrainians are corrupt and will sell arms, etc.   Far too often MAGA is doing the later and not the former. 

• Like 2