bornontheblue

Land war in Europe game thread! (with poll)

US Response to Russian Invasion of Ukraine  

65 members have voted

1. 1. What should the US response to a Russian invasion of Ukraine be?

• Nuke 'em
    • Full conventional military response, troops, tanks, fighters etc take part in defense of Ukraine
    • Air/missile strikes against key Russian military targets
    • Economic embargo of Russia
    • Economic sanctions against Russia
    • Cutoff diplomatic relations with Russia
    • Nothing.

On 9/19/2022 at 10:53 PM, TheSanDiegan said:

LMAO. Russia was a big military supplier to many countries.  I wonder how orders will go in the future now that they’ve seen a big chunk of Russian Equipment wiped out by NATO equipment? 

Hell, in the first few months Javelin(and similar gear) kills were through the roof. 

Then they started getting real artillery from NATO. 

• Like 2

On 9/19/2022 at 10:52 PM, TheSanDiegan said:

Putin is a very stable genius.

Can you imagine how things would go if there was an open field battle with more than a few M1A2(SepV3), Leopard(2A7V) and even Challenger 2s against the mostly T-72 and T-80's Russia has been putting on the field? Everyone on our side was well trained? It's been awhile but last I read there wasn't a huge difference between the T-80's and the upgraded T-90. So bring those too. 

And oh yeah, we get to bring NATO Air Support too. :secret:

Abrams GIFs | Tenor

Tank Drift GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Like 1

On 9/20/2022 at 10:49 AM, utenation said:

Can you imagine how things would go if there was an open field battle with more than a few M1A2(SepV3), Leopard(2A7V) and even Challenger 2s against the mostly T-72 and T-80's Russia has been putting on the field? Everyone on our side was well trained? It's been awhile but last I read there wasn't a huge difference between the T-80's and the upgraded T-90. So bring those too. 

And oh yeah, we get to bring NATO Air Support too. :secret:

Abrams GIFs | Tenor

Tank Drift GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Those drifting gifs are f*ckig hilarious - absolutely made my day - thanks! :cheers:

I think you finished with the most important element of such a scenario however. I think one of the takeaways from this war is Russia's lack of joint operational capability would allows NATO to establish air superiority early in a conflict, and the pace at which we have seen superior tactics and equipment stall and reverse Russian advances would scale more quickly than it has in Ukraine. 

• Like 1

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

On 9/20/2022 at 4:25 PM, TheSanDiegan said:

Those drifting gifs are f*ckig hilarious - absolutely made my day - thanks! :cheers:

I think you finished with the most important element of such a scenario however. I think one of the takeaways from this war is Russia's lack of joint operational capability would allows NATO to establish air superiority early in a conflict, and the pace at which we have seen superior tactics and equipment stall and reverse back Russian advances would scale more quickly than it has in Ukraine. 

It was a sneaky add on, I admit. There is also something to be said about coordinated, precise battle plans and or adapting on the fly to changing situations. Which like you and many others have pointed out, Russia's logistics and command and control rival something like you'd see in the movie Hot Shots with Charlie Sheen. My scenario was mostly a mind puzzle and not likely the way we would have it go down. But Russia likes to brag about and use Tank warfare.  I would love to see that ass kicking. 

image.jpeg.70dd27ba3eed0843f89aa30d2ce4814b.jpeg

I was also thinking yesterday when I watched your piece with Gen Ben Hodges. Impressive. He was a 3 star general and we have many, many great retired and current generals in our military. What are the chances that Hodges, just one guy is 10 X more competent than the top 10 highest ranking Russian military leaders put together?

Lastly on the Abrams drift, some might think that was out of control but I see a top shelf driver and crew that know how to run that thing like a 70 ton race car with lot's of weapons. LOL.

On 9/20/2022 at 8:11 PM, FresnoFacts said:

Russia apparently is worried.

Ukraine should just offer free temporary citizenship to defecting/surrendering Russians. I assume this is in play already. Throw them in a debriefing facility in western Ukraine just to make sure they are not spies, let them call their family, etc. Make sure they stay in the West UK just to be sure. If they can get their family into UK, offer them a path to full citizenship.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2022 at 8:12 PM, robe said:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/russian-invasion-ukraine-battle-of-kyiv-ragtag-army-11663683336

great read on the battle of Kyiv. Godogs can’t read anything this long so maybe someone can help him out. 

Like a modern version of the Minutemen. As an American, hard to not get a freedom boner for these people. Probably the strongest comparison to our revolutionary war I have seen. They work the diplomacy to Europe like we did. Employ new tactics that let a modern force defeat a larger force. Zelensky is their Washington and Franklin all rolled in one.

Did we just become the (late 18th century) French? I feel like I need a shower.

But seriously it is easy to see direct comparisons between our war for Freedom and theirs (or their latest one...this may be more 1812 for them than 1776... or maybe it is both together?). A superpower, overconfident, who underestimated the strategy and tactics of a smaller, more nimble, more dedicated force fighting for their democratic ideal and their homeland... Not to mention the aggressor underestimated the level of support from their global enemies. And relied on tactics from former wars that they had yet to realize were obsolete. 

Britain was just supposed to kick our ass by showing up. Russia was just supposed to kick Ukraine's ass just by showing up. We all, myself included, bought into that hype. Will be interesting to see the future historical comparisons.

I think Ukraine is gonna win this. And I think they are gonna end up having a big voice in Europe because of it. As well they should.

• Like 6

On 9/20/2022 at 9:11 PM, FresnoFacts said:

Russia apparently is worried.

It’s funny when they talk about conscription and also mobilizing a Russian military that it has panicked young men living in Moscow.  Airfare tickets have skyrocketed for flights departing Moscow. 

Stamp.

Ukrainian postage stamp honoring Snake Island soldiers

This is the beginning of the end for Russia. I have a feeling Ukraine is headed towards victory provided Europe and the collective west continues to train and supply them with what they need. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

On 9/21/2022 at 1:55 PM, madmartigan said:

This is the beginning of the end for Russia. I have a feeling Ukraine is headed towards victory provided Europe and the collective west continues to train and supply them with what they need. 

If/when these conscripts get slaughtered at an even greater clip than their troops are now, I think we see regime change.  

On 9/21/2022 at 2:00 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

If/when these conscripts get slaughtered at an even greater clip than their troops are now, I think we see regime change.  

The biggest question of the Russian Federation if this happens is who the hell takes Putin's place? 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.