bornontheblue

Land war in Europe game thread! (with poll)

US Response to Russian Invasion of Ukraine  

65 members have voted

1. 1. What should the US response to a Russian invasion of Ukraine be?

• Nuke 'em
    • Full conventional military response, troops, tanks, fighters etc take part in defense of Ukraine
    • Air/missile strikes against key Russian military targets
    • Economic embargo of Russia
    • Economic sanctions against Russia
    • Cutoff diplomatic relations with Russia
    • Nothing.

30 minutes ago, IanforHeisman said:

I don’t think it really matters if a good portion of the Ukraine would rather fall under the Russian umbrella.. Half of Oregon wants to be part of Idaho but I wouldn’t support an invasion. 

Maybe 25% to 30% of Hawaii does not want to be part of the US either.  They resent the US invasion and Take over of Hawaii

• Like 4

4 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

The Russian speaking parts have all the natural resources and support all the ethnically Ukrainian parts.  It's no wonder they want to split and join Russia. I don't think it matters for USA either way. Certainly not worth 10s of thousands of 18-30 year old American lives.

Languages of Ukraine | Reconsidering Russia and the Former Soviet Union

Shale Gas in Ukraine

But do we know for a fact they want to split and join Russia?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

2 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

This is awful. Ukraine is culturally, historically brethren with Russia. It’s like if we decided to invade Canada or the UK. This is gonna get real dark.

Well…that sounds like a good idea :hmmm:

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

12 minutes ago, mugtang said:

But do we know for a fact they want to split and join Russia?

well. those Austrians mostly spoke German before Germany invaded so it was OK.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AztecAlien said:

The U.S. Military higher ups, FDR and Truman during WWII should have listened to General George S. Patton.

"I'll say this; the Third Army alone and with damned few casualties, could lick what is left of the Russians in six weeks. You mark my words. Don't ever forget them. Someday we will have to fight them and it will take six years and cost us six million lives." 

George S. Patton  

Unless we dropped nukes the Soviets would have roflstomped us straight off the continent if we tried to fight them lmao

• Like 1
On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

10 minutes ago, Gonzagafan2021 said:

If we were to defeat Russia in a war I think Russia should reinstate the monarchy. Russia needs a strong emperor/empress to rule the nation!

Dude it's so awesome to have an unironic monarchy fan on the board. 

Pretty sure there's some inbred Romanov claimant doing a money-laundering fake charity scheme waiting for their moment. You should hit them up and ask them if they wanna come back

• Haha 3

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

I’ve got a great strategy for Ukraine. Withdraw all troops in uniform from the border into Poland as a staging area. Send 50,000 internal Ukraine troops into Poland. The rest of the military shed their uniforms. Hide all of the weapons including small and large artillery. Evacuate civilians along the Ukraine-Belarus and Ukraine-Russian border.

Let the first 50,000 Russians walk right in to Ukraine with no resistance at all. Then bomb the crap out of the Russians along the border not in yet inside and then Ukraine comes screaming out of Poland seals off the border from Belarus to Russia. Now the troops are completely cut off from their supply lines running out of fuel, ammo, shells, food, everything. It’s essentially the affect of the old school Pinser Movement. Just like a Stalingrad. 

Right now Russia has a shortage of trucks to supply ammo, shells, etc. as it is. If there’s an invasion, it will be very slow. Once supplies are cut off, Ukraine troops in plain clothes can employ in hit and run guerilla tactics and with supply desperate Russians. 

• Like 1

kat.jpg

2 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

I’ve got a great strategy for Ukraine. Withdraw all troops in uniform from the border into Poland as a staging area. Send 50,000 internal Ukraine troops into Poland. The rest of the military shed their uniforms. Hide all of the weapons including small and large artillery. Evacuate civilians along the Ukraine-Belarus and Ukraine-Russian border.

Let the first 50,000 Russians walk right in to Ukraine with no resistance at all. Then bomb the crap out of the Russians along the border not in yet inside and then Ukraine comes screaming out of Poland seals off the border from Belarus to Russia. Now the troops are completely cut off from their supply lines running out of fuel, ammo, shells, food, everything. It’s essentially the affect of the old school Pinser Movement. Just like a Stalingrad. 

Right now Russia has a shortage of trucks to supply ammo, shells, etc. as it is. If there’s an invasion, it will be very slow. Once supplies are cut off, Ukraine troops in plain clothes can employ in hit and run guerilla tactics and with supply desperate Russians. 

I've done this in HOI4, can confirm it works

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

The Russian speaking parts have all the natural resources and support all the ethnically Ukrainian parts.  It's no wonder they want to split and join Russia. I don't think it matters for USA either way. Certainly not worth 10s of thousands of 18-30 year old American lives.

Shale Gas in Ukraine

I'm tired of the false narrative that open war with the Russian's is the option on the table as opposed to doing nothing.

No one is proposing that.  Literally no one.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, youngredbullfan said:

Dude it's so awesome to have an unironic monarchy fan on the board. 

Pretty sure there's some inbred Romanov claimant doing a money-laundering fake charity scheme waiting for their moment. You should hit them up and ask them if they wanna come back

Lol the heir to the throne lives in Spain and she isn't a inbred. She's the great granddaughter of tsar nicholas brother.

Do some research for yourself: https://www.google.com/search?q=Grand+Duchess+Maria+Vladimirovna+of+Russia&client=ms-android-samsung&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

14 hours ago, azgreg said:

Soviet? this has been Russian foreign policy since the 1600s

13 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

We’re hypocritical on the Ukraine issue having invaded Vietnam, Afghanistan, Iraq, as well as numerous other countries on a limited basis. Not to mention meddling in other country’s political affairs all around the globe. 

not exactly apples to oranges on those. especially not afghanistan but, like, which one of those did we invade with the explicit goal of annexation?

10 hours ago, Gonzagafan2021 said:

If we were to defeat Russia in a war I think Russia should reinstate the monarchy. Russia needs a strong emperor/empress to rule the nation!

yes, a strong autocrat to rule russia. as opposed to what Russia has had for the last 300 years how?

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

10 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

You realize airplanes exist, right?

11 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

In the grand scheme of Russian history, the loss of 50k troops is just another Tuesday to them.

Lord.gif.8800d8c5a17a737fcaa3fe4a7f8ed8d4.gif  

• Like 2

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

I don’t get the whole “Russia!” panic…they’re literally the old drunk at the end of the bar recounting past high school glories of being runner up in the state basketball tournament, and opining that they’d have been a big-time college athlete if they hadn’t knocked up the 5th runner up to prom queen. 

Basically, they’re the Al Bundy of global politics. Sputnik was their Polk High 5 TD game. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, MetropolitanCowboy said:

I don’t get the whole “Russia!” panic…they’re literally the old drunk at the end of the bar recounting past high school glories of being runner up in the state basketball tournament, and opining that they’d have been a big-time college athlete if they hadn’t knocked up the 5th runner up to prom queen. 

Basically, they’re the Al Bundy of global politics. Sputnik was their Polk High 5 TD game. 

If Al Bundy had hundreds of ICBM's pointed at us I would take AL Bundy seriously. 

With the exception of the last few decades Russia has ruled the Ukraine for much of the last thousand years. And when it wasn’t ruled by the Russians it was ruled by the Mongols, Poles etc. I’m all for an independent, even West-leaning Ukraine but I think we need some historical perspective. A Russian incursion into Ukraine is not the Anschluss. It’s not even Czechloslovakia in ‘68. We may not like what Russia is doing if they invade, and I’m not saying we shouldn’t help Ukraine, but we need to recognize that this is occurring in an area that is historically a part of the Russian state. Some of the major battles in Russian history happened in the Ukraine. Peter the Great beat the Swedes at Poltava in 1709. There were two major battles at Kharkov in WWII. One could argue that a Russian takeover, as was the case with the Crimea, is a return to the status quo. 

• Like 3

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

18 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Shale Gas in Ukraine

Thanks for posting the ethnic distribution map. It clarified what i had read about Stalin moving the Historical Ukranian borders to the East after WW2. The end result was making Western Ukranians a minority within SE Poland and causing them to also be an ethnic minority within their own Nation.

Coupled with the map of coal and gas reserves in the Russian zone. It's a wonder this didn't happen sooner after the Crimean annexation. 

These moves by Putin are similiar to Hitlers reunification of the Deutsche-Volk on the post WW1 German borders. This could be Putins Czechoslovakia. Carving it up into small bites before swallowing the balance when it no longer matters.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor