bornontheblue

Land war in Europe game thread! (with poll)

US Response to Russian Invasion of Ukraine  

65 members have voted

1. 1. What should the US response to a Russian invasion of Ukraine be?

• Nuke 'em
    • Full conventional military response, troops, tanks, fighters etc take part in defense of Ukraine
    • Air/missile strikes against key Russian military targets
    • Economic embargo of Russia
    • Economic sanctions against Russia
    • Cutoff diplomatic relations with Russia
    • Nothing.

The U.S. Military higher ups, FDR and Truman during WWII should have listened to General George S. Patton.

"I'll say this; the Third Army alone and with damned few casualties, could lick what is left of the Russians in six weeks. You mark my words. Don't ever forget them. Someday we will have to fight them and it will take six years and cost us six million lives." 

George S. Patton  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, ridgeview2 said:

Sorry, but Ukraine isn't worth getting involved with. I voted for some economic sanctions and an embargo, but that's it. As to what Mug said, unless Russia attacks one of our NATO allies it's not worth getting our military involved. We literally just pulled out of a 20 year war not even 5 months ago. 

• Like 1

People, not a fan.

2 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

Jr. self-owns as much as connie.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, misplacedcowboy said:

Isn't it just "Ukraine"? Why do folks add "the"?

For many years it WAS the Ukraine insofar as being a territory in the Soviet Union and before that a territory in the so-called Russian Empire.

In Mein Kampf, Hitler foretold his plan to create lebensraum (living space) for the German people there. He meant via invasion if necessary but the communists were too stupid to take him seriously.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, tspoke said:

I think it is a big deal to Ukrainians. Not sure if it started this way or just why its a big deal but when it was part of soviet union. It was The Ukraine as in a region of the soviet union(Like the Midwest) but now that it is a country they don't like it when you say the Ukraine because it implies it is still a region of the soviet union.

At least thats what I have heard.

You're correct. Until recently there never was a Ukraine as an independent nation, so the term was usually applied to a region as with your midwest example. In the middle ages there was a kingdom founded by the Rus tribe (originally Swedish vikings) based in Kiev. Ironically the term Russia originates from a tribe centered in what's now Ukraine. For almost all of its history, what is now Ukraine was ruled by Russia and Poland. Ukrainian nationalism, based on common language and ethnic identity, arose in the late 18th century, but was quashed by the Poles and the Russians. During the chaos of the Russian Revolution there were a few years of quasi-independence, but the Soviets corrected that. The Ukrainians were the most favored of the slavic minorities in the Soviet Union but were still subject to discrimination. Only with the fall of the Soviet Union has there been Ukraine as a nation. 

• Like 5

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

37 minutes ago, AztecAlien said:

The U.S. Military higher ups, FDR and Truman during WWII should have listened to General George S. Patton.

"I'll say this; the Third Army alone and with damned few casualties, could lick what is left of the Russians in six weeks. You mark my words. Don't ever forget them. Someday we will have to fight them and it will take six years and cost us six million lives." 

George S. Patton  

Churchill also thought the US and Britain should have rid the world of the communists while they had the chance. Churchill particularly hated Stalin. Problem was - and I say this as someone who leans left politically - the Labour Party was hell bent on scuttling Churchill's leadership and he was forced to call for an election only a couple months after Germany surrendered so the man had no political clout at that time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bsu_alum9 said:

The Russian speaking parts have all the natural resources and support all the ethnically Ukrainian parts.  It's no wonder they want to split and join Russia. I don't think it matters for USA either way. Certainly not worth 10s of thousands of 18-30 year old American lives.

Languages of Ukraine | Reconsidering Russia and the Former Soviet Union

Shale Gas in Ukraine

So?    huge chunks of the US speak foreign languages as well.  Why do you think they all want to join Russia?

3 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

Ahh, its the old bait and switch. Cause a huge distraction by threatening to invade Ukraine, and then they won;t notice what you are really trying to do. 

Strategery.

People, not a fan.

For those that missed it, Russia laid out its strategic goals last month in two ultimatums. One to The U.S. threatening war unless we accede to their demands, another to the rest of NATO calling for a return to the European order of the late 90’s with Russia calling the shots. They want to break apart NATO.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

2 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

The Russian speaking parts have all the natural resources and support all the ethnically Ukrainian parts.  It's no wonder they want to split and join Russia. I don't think it matters for USA either way. Certainly not worth 10s of thousands of 18-30 year old American lives.

Languages of Ukraine | Reconsidering Russia and the Former Soviet Union

Shale Gas in Ukraine

The Donbas (Don Basin) where the Russians are more numerous once supported Ukraine. Now it doesn't even support itself. The Donbas is now a major post-industrial rust belt of closed coal mines and steel mills. It's an economic drain on the Russians. Kiev is the center of the more modern segment of the Ukrainian economy.

Agree completely about not being worth lives. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say