bornontheblue

Land war in Europe game thread! (with poll)

US Response to Russian Invasion of Ukraine  

65 members have voted

1. 1. What should the US response to a Russian invasion of Ukraine be?

• Nuke 'em
    • Full conventional military response, troops, tanks, fighters etc take part in defense of Ukraine
    • Air/missile strikes against key Russian military targets
    • Economic embargo of Russia
    • Economic sanctions against Russia
    • Cutoff diplomatic relations with Russia
    • Nothing.

If NATO votes to get militarily involved I'm not sure we have a choice to avoid conflict. Our relations with Europe are too important  to our goals of stymying Chinese military and economic aggression.

2 minutes ago, Los_Aztecas said:

If NATO votes to get militarily involved I'm not sure we have a choice to avoid conflict. Our relations with Europe are too important  to our goals of stymying Chinese military and economic aggression.

If Russia attacks a NATO country we will get involved militarily.  We won’t have a choice. But Ukraine isn’t a NATO member. And I doubt NATO votes to get involved militarily. 

• Like 1

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 minute ago, mugtang said:

If Russia attacks a NATO country we will get involved militarily.  We won’t have a choice. But Ukraine isn’t a NATO member. And I doubt NATO votes to get involved militarily. 

Couldn't read the article because of the paywall, only the headline that Nato and the US are sending Airpower and preparing to mobilize troops to Eastern Europe. Of course this is probably just a deterrent, but the chance of Russian-NATO conflict is not zero.

1 hour ago, mugtang said:

I was going to start a poll about what our response should be if/when Russia invades but I'm going to edit your post to add my poll if that's ok with you @bornontheblue.  No need for multiple posts on the same topic

I'm thinking about posting a poll to see if everyone agrees with you adding a poll to this thread.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

People, not a fan.

The Russian speaking parts have all the natural resources and support all the ethnically Ukrainian parts.  It's no wonder they want to split and join Russia. I don't think it matters for USA either way. Certainly not worth 10s of thousands of 18-30 year old American lives.

Languages of Ukraine | Reconsidering Russia and the Former Soviet Union

Shale Gas in Ukraine

15 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Easy there cowboy.  Define get involved militarily.

If it's only a "minor incursion" into Estonia, does the US get involved militarily?  I'm skeptical of that.

31 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

Your poll needs more choices buddy.

Send arms to Ukraine, beef up NATO, US deployments to East/Central European NATO members.  Beating the Germans with a wet noodle for being such a crappy ally.  And stuff like that.

And you should be able to pick more than 1

We're already doing all of those.

38 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

We should also be supplying Ukraine with the hardware they need to push back against a Russian invasion.

During WWII, Finland showed what a motivated populous could do to the Red Army when the Russian people had no interest in fighting the Finns and I've seen nothing to suggest that more than a small number of Putin's people support the invasion of Ukraine.

The landscape of the Ukraine and Finland are completely different. No natural chokepoints, no vast and frozen terrain to freeze to death in and the Russian Army >>>> Red Army ca.1940.

• Like 1

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

Sorry, but Ukraine isn't worth getting involved with. I voted for some economic sanctions and an embargo, but that's it. As to what Mug said, unless Russia attacks one of our NATO allies it's not worth getting our military involved. We literally just pulled out of a 20 year war not even 5 months ago. 

• Like 4

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

1 hour ago, Bob said:

What do you expect from them with Merkel (a literal communist Stalin youth girl).

Merkel's no longer the Chancellor of Germany. :rolleyes: Try to keep up.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, misplacedcowboy said:

Isn't it just "Ukraine"? Why do folks add "the"?

33 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

I don't know, but everyone does.

It's kind of like THE Ohio State University:D

I think it is a big deal to Ukrainians. Not sure if it started this way or just why its a big deal but when it was part of soviet union. It was The Ukraine as in a region of the soviet union(Like the Midwest) but now that it is a country they don't like it when you say the Ukraine because it implies it is still a region of the soviet union.

At least thats what I have heard.

• Like 6