Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spot50B

How big of a deal is it to play extra basketball games?

Lots of teams have been or will be playing make up games this year. There's been talk about how tired these teams may be after going through the gauntlet. I'm not convinced that three games a week compared to two will leave a team exhausted. Most if not all of these kids are used to this from AAU, club team experience, etc. I think not playing for two weeks is a bigger issue.

This is different from football, where a much longer season does begin to wear down players that have never been through that. 

Oh great, now MW squads will play their games on Monday, Wednesday and Friday nights after 8 pm local time 

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

The long pauses appear to be a bigger factor than the extra games. Witness the CSU and SDSU debacles. I would be surprised if every team played a full schedule and some team(s) are going to benefit from that more than others. 

I’m interested to see what the MWC chooses to do with San Diego State. They only have 14 games currently scheduled. Two of their postponed games were at New Mexico and at Wyoming. Two elevation games and we all know how much the Aztecs love to play at elevation. My guess is that they’ll figure out a way to schedule the Wyoming game in Laramie since that was the only match-up between the two teams. It’ll be interesting to see if the MWC will get the Boise@WYO and CSU@Boise games scheduled.

By the way, I’m not a big fan of three games a week. Its silly to compare the intensity of AAU games to D-1 basketball games. Too many games does take its toll on teams. Bill Self has made it very clear that he wants nothing to do with a 3 game a week schedule in the Big 12.

The schedule has always been crooked. Some years teams play conference series home/away and other years it’s either home OR away. Two years ago this bit Nevada in the ass, as the Pack only played at USU. That was one of the reasons that USU got the 2 seed in the conference tourney despite dropping a game to Vegas - the other 2 seed. I’m sure Nevada has benefited from it before in non-Covid seasons but it’s kind bush just because of numbers.

I’m just glad the MWC is playing, period. 

2 hours ago, Swoll Cracker said:

I’m interested to see what the MWC chooses to do with San Diego State. They only have 14 games currently scheduled. Two of their postponed games were at New Mexico and at Wyoming. Two elevation games and we all know how much the Aztecs love to play at elevation. My guess is that they’ll figure out a way to schedule the Wyoming game in Laramie since that was the only match-up between the two teams. It’ll be interesting to see if the MWC will get the Boise@WYO and CSU@Boise games scheduled.

By the way, I’m not a big fan of three games a week. Its silly to compare the intensity of AAU games to D-1 basketball games. Too many games does take its toll on teams. Bill Self has made it very clear that he wants nothing to do with a 3 game a week schedule in the Big 12.

I know most here hated this but the truth is that travel takes as much out of the kids as the games do in this conference. Which is why I liked the two game series last year. Obviously it was beneficial to Nevada and that’s a factor but I think it added a really unique opportunity to coach during that second game — as teams knew each other so well that second matchup. 

1 hour ago, NevadaFan said:

I know most here hated this but the truth is that travel takes as much out of the kids as the games do in this conference. Which is why I liked the two game series last year. Obviously it was beneficial to Nevada and that’s a factor but I think it added a really unique opportunity to coach during that second game — as teams knew each other so well that second matchup. 

Yeah it will never be permanent because of the competitive advantage/disadvantage angle. I mean not only is there the obvious schedule imbalance in terms of one team potentially playing all the "good" teams at home but there is also the injury factor/hot team/cold team factor. Say the MW player of the year is out for a week with an injury. In a normal schedule two teams will benefit from it compared to just one team in the two game series schedule. Also it probably hurt attendance as many fans might not be as excited to play the same team back to back.   

BUT I do kinda like the two game series also and it seems beneficial to the athletes. I mean yes their total days away from school is probably the same but they are still doing a lot less total travel. 

2 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

So….

USU is in favor of this move.
Nevada and Boise are not. 
Wyo sitting 50/50?

I mean USU would probably in favor as it should be an easy win for the conference standings. 

WY should be in favor if they are trying to make the NCAAT as an at large but not it they are trying to win the MW regular season. If gives them two chances at solid wins. 

Nevada would not be as they aren't getting an NCAAT at large bid and this is likely just another loss.

SDSU, in terms of NCAAT at large bid shouldn't be in favor of it. Beating Nevada at home won't do much for them and a loss would really hurt. MW regular seeding wise probably a wash. They should be Nevada but it is not an auto win.

Boise, in terms of NCAAT at large bid they are 100% in favor. Losing @WY won't hurt and win would help a lot. In terms of trying to win the MW regular season it hurts.

Fresno- pretty much a wash, good thing to get another home game but it is probably a 50/50 game. Does help in their slim NCAAT at large bid chances. I say slim cause at this point they need to win out or have only 1 loss the rest of the regular season to be NCAAT at large bid range. I would be shocked it they don't drop at least 2 games down the stretch.. 

SJSU- does it matter? They will finish near the bottom of the MW regardless. 

6 minutes ago, thedude15 said:

Yeah it will never be permanent because of the competitive advantage/disadvantage angle. I mean not only is there the obvious schedule imbalance in terms of one team potentially playing all the "good" teams at home but there is also the injury factor/hot team/cold team factor. Say the MW player of the year is out for a week with an injury. In a normal schedule two teams will benefit from it compared to just one team in the two game series schedule. Also it probably hurt attendance as many fans might not be as excited to play the same team back to back.   

BUT I do kinda like the two game series also and it seems beneficial to the athletes. I mean yes their total days away from school is probably the same but they are still doing a lot less total travel. 

Last year SDSU and USU received the benefit of the two game home schedule, playing three of the top four teams at home. Boise State and CSU did not, playing three of the top four on the road. Look who went to the Dance and who went to the NIT. Thumbs down on the two game home schedule. 

4 hours ago, Swoll Cracker said:

Is Bill Self against conference tourneys since those involve more than two games in a week? Agreed that it's not like AAU though most schools are not going to have to play three games in a week more than twice. I do think travel is probably the biggest factor. 

56 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

the Rebs are playing their 5th game in 11 days. I think with that many crammed in, by that 5th game some legs might get a little tired. Especially with 2 starters out. 

When the Pokes play Boise it will be their 5th game in 10 days. I think you saw tired legs against the Lobos. That Lobos game was their 4th game in 7 days. 

15th- @Utah State

17th- @Nevada

19th- vs SJSU

22nd- vs New Mexico

tetons1.jpg

2 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

So….

USU is in favor of this move.
Nevada and Boise are not. 
Wyo sitting 50/50?

I’m going to be pissed if we get stuck playing three straight games at CSU (two last year, potentially one this year) without a return home game. 

4 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Last year SDSU and USU received the benefit of the two game home schedule, playing three of the top four teams at home. Boise State and CSU did not, playing three of the top four on the road. Look who went to the Dance and who went to the NIT. Thumbs down on the two game home schedule. 

Truth. Although I believe CSU only ended up playing Nevada once in Reno...but that loss was the one that probably knocked them out of the NCAAT. It is not unreasonable at all to believe that CSU and BSU would have been in the NCAAT and USU wouldn't have had the schedules been reversed. SDSU probably would have still made it, but they would have likely been seeded lower.

5 minutes ago, SLCPoke said:

When the Pokes play Boise it will be their 5th game in 10 days. I think you saw tired legs against the Lobos. That Lobos game was their 4th game in 7 days. 

15th- @Utah State

17th- @Nevada

19th- vs SJSU

22nd- vs New Mexico

Might want to check your math. You can use your fingers and toes if you need to.

It's the same game frequency that BSU just completed: 5 games in 11 days. We had 4 on the road compared to your 3 though. It is pretty brutal to play so many games in such a short time frame. No denying that part.

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

I’m going to be pissed if we get stuck playing three straight games at CSU (two last year, potentially one this year) without a return home game. 

Could happen. We’ll see.

3 hours ago, SLCPoke said:

15th- @Utah State

17th- @Nevada

19th- vs SJSU

22nd- vs New Mexico

As already pointed out, it's the same number of games for both teams in the same timeframe plus Boise had to play SDSU on the road. Wyoming hasn't played a team in the top third of the league yet. Boise has only played the Aztecs. Should be a good one.