Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spaztecs

24/7 Sports: 'So much to change': Coaches share ideas to fix Transfer Portal

6 hours ago, Headbutt said:

I would bet he's not a fan of it...most years.

I doubt that there is a single college HC that is a fan of the portal.  I also doubt that there is a single college HC that isn't checking it at least weekly, probably daily.  They're all competitors, that's how they got where they are.  They're going to use every legal tool in their belt, even if they don't like it when somebody else uses it.

That's a good bet, especially considering that he is on record as being very against it.......until it benefits him that is. 

21 hours ago, Rofl_copter_dos said:

I mean i agree as well.  A lot of the whining from coaches, especially lower level p5 coaches, is cope that they can't stash 3* kids from 1500 miles away on their roster as insurance depth for 4 years now.  But there are too many kids in the portal without landing spots. Don't think that's debatable.

21 hours ago, nvspuds said:

I agree with this..Lots of these guys won't find a landing spot..

what's "too many"? and so what?

the total number of roster spots nationwide remains the same, are they somehow more deserving of a spot than someone else?

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

what's "too many"? and so what?

the total number of roster spots nationwide remains the same, are they somehow more deserving of a spot than someone else?

It’s all about the $$. It’s turned into a crazy industry were a coach can tell you exactly what you want to hear about your son, and then you transfer to chase a dream, losing all sight of why you’re college in the first place. Everything in the US has a price tag I guess. 

14 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

It’s all about the $$. It’s turned into a crazy industry were a coach can tell you exactly what you want to hear about your son, and then you transfer to chase a dream, losing all sight of why you’re college in the first place. Everything in the US has a price tag I guess. 

pretty sure this is how recruiting has worked...forever

34 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

Coaches are mercenaries and so are players..

Except now when a coach lies, it is easier for a kid to transfer.  He just needs to make sure he has a landing spot.  

Hopefully as more kids crap out in the portal, more will realize the stakes are higher and they need to take a long hard look to see if it is worth it.

1 hour ago, Wyobraska said:

Except now when a coach lies, it is easier for a kid to transfer.  He just needs to make sure he has a landing spot.  

Hopefully as more kids crap out in the portal, more will realize the stakes are higher and they need to take a long hard look to see if it is worth it.

Exactly. The recruiting process used to happen once, maybe twice in a career. I’m not saying it’s right or wrong, but the players who are surrounded by a good support system will be fine. And all of the rest won’t. This new system will chew them up. 

Except for the players who are told to go into the portal by their coach, none of these guys has to do it.  If it is a risk, it is a risk they are willing to take.  All the portal does is make them a recruitable athlete again.  If they get an offer they like they leave..If they don't they stay.  If the current coach doesn't want them back they are out of luck..

A whole lot of kids quit playing college football every year..

3 hours ago, renoskier said:

pretty sure this is how recruiting has worked...forever

I can't find the exact quote, but Knute Rockne hated having to lie to High School kids to get them to come to Notre Dame.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor