Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Warbow

June Jones - New Hawaii coach?

16 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

All you have to do is tell Lassner the Big West's history since dropping football in 2000.  I'm sure he would gladly trade in a chance to align with UCLA and USC in the future - however unlikely that is - for slumming with Cal State Northridge and Bakersfield forever. :pitchforks:

Ah my friend, if only it was that simple.  "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain."

16 hours ago, Lester_in_reno said:

Reach!

Phone Reaching GIF by Jin

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

2 hours ago, Rebels2k3 said:

Not hiring June Jones may prove to be a grave mistake.

Best and most accurate Quote of this thread.

Americans Mayor

Of all the FB programs in the MW and FBS, I never thought the U of H would be one of the first to go down the drain in this era of Big Money, NLI, and no Penalty Transfers.

Americans Mayor

1 hour ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

This is my worry as well. The Aloha Stadium mess coupled with the potential future emergence of direct pay-for-play for athletes may have led Lassner to conclude UH football will be unaffordable in the long run, so let’s just half-support it until it dies.  Hiring JJ would have fueled massive hope across the state for a return to the glory days and brought the football program an infusion of short-term resources, so that temporary lifeline couldn’t be allowed.

I wouldn’t have bought into such a conspiratorial narrative a few weeks ago, but after seeing how callously this coaching change was handled — with open disdain for fan opinion — I have real concerns.  UH football has over 100 years of great tradition and a still-passionate supporter base, but from Lassner’s seat it may be very tempting to throw all that away in favor of a vision for athletics more aligned with the Big West’s top-performing non-football schools (notably UC Irvine and UC Santa Barbara, and up-and-comer UC San Diego).

Despite having obtained his PhD at Notre Dame, during the first 5-6 years of his time at SDSU, president Steve Weber seemed to view head football coach as being as fungible a position as a professor in the department of education. He seemed to think that if you hire somebody who meets the minimum qualifications for the job and won't demand more money than the entry level salary, if they're nothing more than satisfactory at their job they'll be promoted only once from assistant to associate professor and therefore won't gain lifetime tenure, won't be entitled to take sabbatical leaves, etc. and although the school won't have gained much, neither will it have lost much. Thankfully Weber eventually figured out that hiring a just marginal HC can literally cost the university millions in lost revenue so when he forced his idiot AD to show Chuck Long the door, Weber himself headed the hiring process that brought in Brady Hoke.

Maybe Lassner isn't being as devious as we surmise he might be but at a minimum he appears to be as clueless as Weber once was.

2 hours ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Despite having obtained his PhD at Notre Dame, during the first 5-6 years of his time at SDSU, president Steve Weber seemed to view head football coach as being as fungible a position as a professor in the department of education. He seemed to think that if you hire somebody who meets the minimum qualifications for the job and won't demand more money than the entry level salary, if they're nothing more than satisfactory at their job they'll be promoted only once from assistant to associate professor and therefore won't gain lifetime tenure, won't be entitled to take sabbatical leaves, etc. and although the school won't have gained much, neither will it have lost much. Thankfully Weber eventually figured out that hiring a just marginal HC can literally cost the university millions in lost revenue so when he forced his idiot AD to show Chuck Long the door, Weber himself headed the hiring process that brought in Brady Hoke.

Maybe Lassner isn't being as devious as we surmise he might be but at a minimum he appears to be as clueless as Weber once was.

Hanlon's Razor potentially.

12 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Their spokesperson in response to JJ basically said that Hawaii plays in a bottom barrel conference so of course hiring a coach is hard.

and he said hawai’i has the second lowest coaching salary proudly.dude needs to go too.

2 minutes ago, kalua pig said:

and he said hawai’i has the second lowest coaching salary proudly.dude needs to go too.

Hawaii deserves so much better.  The 2006 Hawaii team with Nate Iloa was my favorite non Boise WAC team.  When I very first stated following Boise as a little kid I thought it was soooo cool to be in a conference with a team like Hawaii.  Even as a kid the name "Hawaii" had gravitas due to the state being in my mind "the state".  

This is +++++ing sad.  

Hawaii is a talent rich state. Plus the potential to recruit state side Polynesian football players. If they could get into the PAC12 the program could excel. Maybe they should take the risk and go independent. PAC12 loves to play Hawaii more than the love to play BYU. Moving to a 5 to 7 P5 schedule could be brutal. 

The Masters 5k road race All American.

7 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Hawaii deserves so much better.  The 2006 Hawaii team with Nate Iloa was my favorite non Boise WAC team.  When I very first stated following Boise as a little kid I thought it was soooo cool to be in a conference with a team like Hawaii.  Even as a kid the name "Hawaii" had gravitas due to the state being in my mind "the state".  

This is +++++ing sad.  

This I can remember watching us get crushed by Hawaii when I was little.  And thinking how cool it was to play a big team like Hawaii.  Don't remember how old I was but was staying at my Aunt and Uncles, and remember playing RC Pro Am on NES with my cousins about the same time.

4 hours ago, robe said:

Hawaii is a talent rich state. Plus the potential to recruit state side Polynesian football players. If they could get into the PAC12 the program could excel. Maybe they should take the risk and go independent. PAC12 loves to play Hawaii more than the love to play BYU. Moving to a 5 to 7 P5 schedule could be brutal. 

I do agree if Hawaii was going to go all in the indy route would be the way to go. More risk but also more reward. Plus their olympic sports already have a safe/stable home in the Big West which is basically an ideal spot for them unless they get promoted to a Big-5 conference. 

Yes there is the extra game advantage to playing at Hawaii and also the recruiting benefits but to me the biggest thing is the vacation aspect. I mean there are plenty of large schools with many upper middle class and higher fans that would like to see an @ Hawaii game on the school (especially in Nov when it starts to get colder) for a football game/vacation combo. Plus there are several MW teams that would probably want to try to keep playing them (I would 100% want Fresno to try to keep the series going). 

Honestly SDSU is probably in a similar boat where if they truly wanted to go all in maybe indy is the better route. Air Force could survive as indy as they are a national brand. But those are really the only three at the moment that I would think the potential benefit of indy could outweigh the risk. 

That letter from the house of representative is lame. It isn't going to do anything more than make an embarrassing situation even more embarrassing. 

"Make like a tree and scram" - Rosegreen

Your administration is the reason why our basketball league is bleeding out currently. If you didn't insist on San Jose being in the MWC, so you guys would have someone that votes similar to SDSU, every team in the MWC wouldn't have to play 2 games vs. a team with a 330 RPI ranking EVERY season.

You guys are as stupid as you are desperate.   - Cowboy Junky

3 hours ago, thedude15 said:

I do agree if Hawaii was going to go all in the indy route would be the way to go. More risk but also more reward. Plus their olympic sports already have a safe/stable home in the Big West which is basically an ideal spot for them unless they get promoted to a Big-5 conference. 

Yes there is the extra game advantage to playing at Hawaii and also the recruiting benefits but to me the biggest thing is the vacation aspect. I mean there are plenty of large schools with many upper middle class and higher fans that would like to see an @ Hawaii game on the school (especially in Nov when it starts to get colder) for a football game/vacation combo. Plus there are several MW teams that would probably want to try to keep playing them (I would 100% want Fresno to try to keep the series going). 

Honestly SDSU is probably in a similar boat where if they truly wanted to go all in maybe indy is the better route. Air Force could survive as indy as they are a national brand. But those are really the only three at the moment that I would think the potential benefit of indy could outweigh the risk. 

Where would Air Force put their other sports?