Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Warbow

June Jones - New Hawaii coach?

I listened to TC’s presser.  Said a few good things but basically came across as a former assistant coach in over his head.  I don’t think he’s ready for a challenge this big and I expect the hire to backfire on Matlin.  It’s also disheartening to find out there’s no leadership at UH and our AD is an unscrupulous weasel.

47 minutes ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

I listened to TC’s presser.  Said a few good things but basically came across as a former assistant coach in over his head.  I don’t think he’s ready for a challenge this big and I expect the hire to backfire on Matlin.  It’s also disheartening to find out there’s no leadership at UH and our AD is an unscrupulous weasel.

Who in the fvck offers a new coach like JJ a 2 year deal, and then doesn’t have final say over assistants? Chang was foolish to work for this nut. There’s no way he can win with an AD like that. Hawaii is going to be bad bad for quite a while. Hair and the other Presidents need to have an intervention with your President, and make it clear that the MWC isn’t going to tolerate this shit. 

kat.jpg

2 hours ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

I know, right? This is exactly how I read it. I think this is going to backfire tremendously. 

7 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

The Hawaii athletic department slaps June Jone is the face and then publicly blasts the MWC as being the reason the hiring situation for them is difficult.  

Seriously +++++ their athletic department.  

Wait what?

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

10 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

Who in the fvck offers a new coach like JJ a 2 year deal, and then doesn’t have final say over assistants? Chang was foolish to work for this nut. There’s no way he can win with an AD like that. Hawaii is going to be bad bad for quite a while. Hair and the other Presidents need to have an intervention with your President, and make it clear that the MWC isn’t going to tolerate this shit. 

This has been and is being handled so badly at a time UH football can't afford such a thing that I think it actually could eventually result in the MWC forcing the Rainbow Warriors out of the conference.

Anyone who thinks that's overstated doesn't need to look any further than how angry we non-UH people are about it.

11 hours ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

I like Hawaii and its fans so I hope TC works out. I am just not convinced he is ready. His name may attract some initial excitement but results on the field will be the difference.

However in the back of my mind this process makes me wonder if Matlin has some plan/agenda for changes to Hawaii football. Wanting JJ for only 2 years, the spokesperson talking down the MWC and blaming it for Hawaii problems, hiring an inexperience alum as HC, etc. We will see where Hawaii football is in a few years.

If it doesn’t work out they can blame Chang and fire him quickly and easily. New stadium in a couple years and they can make a real hire if Timmy doesn’t work out, or give him a good extension if he does.

Chang will fill the 10k seat stadium the next 2 years, so they got that going for them. 

6 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Their spokesperson in response to JJ basically said that Hawaii plays in a bottom barrel conference so of course hiring a coach is hard.

I do not believe any decent spokesperson would make that comment unless similar things have been said by the AD. Either the spokesperson is incompetent or the AD has denigrated the MW or both.

34 minutes ago, FresnoFacts said:

I like Hawaii and its fans so I hope TC works out. I am just not convinced he is ready. His name may attract some initial excitement but results on the field will be the difference.

However in the back of my mind this process makes me wonder if Matlin has some plan/agenda for changes to Hawaii football. Wanting JJ for only 2 years, the spokesperson talking down the MWC and blaming it for Hawaii problems, hiring an inexperience alum as HC, etc. We will see where Hawaii football is in a few years.

Not just Matlin, Lassner. And that plan is to run a program on the cheap or even eliminate it altogether if the guy can get away with it.

It's generally believed CSUN's president used an NCAA investigation of possible recruiting violations as the excuse to shut down their football program circa 1992. CSUN hadn't anticipated the affect the Cal-NOW settlement would have on schools playing football plus it overextended itself financially by moving to the Big Sky several years before. Most locals believed the program could have been saved simply by returning to the Big West, or at least attempting to.

I think it's possible Lassner has the same mindset. IOW, although he knew their stadium needed upgrading, he didn't know it couldn't be saved so the school would have to build a new one. Although Lassner would be OK with similarly shutting football down, he can't get away with that but if UH football takes a downward spin competitively, he might be able to justify turning it into another NMSU or UMass.

18 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Although Lassner would be OK with similarly shutting football down, he can't get away with that but if UH football takes a downward spin competitively, he might be able to justify turning it into another NMSU or UMass.

I think football independence is a very possible goal for Matlin and Lassner. Over the years I have seen the speculation that the 13th game rule and local broadcast deal make independence possible. Possibly administrators also consider the ability to reduce football expenses.

If that is their agenda, fans will be told that Hawaii will be the next BYU.

But unfortunately for Hawaii fans I agree independence would likely mean a fate more like NMSU or UMass than BYU. They would probably get games against good opponents but not good season records.

58 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Not just Matlin, Lassner. And that plan is to run a program on the cheap or even eliminate it altogether if the guy can get away with it.

It's generally believed CSUN's president used an NCAA investigation of possible recruiting violations as the excuse to shut down their football program circa 1992. CSUN hadn't anticipated the affect the Cal-NOW settlement would have on schools playing football plus it overextended itself financially by moving to the Big Sky several years before. Most locals believed the program could have been saved simply by returning to the Big West, or at least attempting to.

I think it's possible Lassner has the same mindset. IOW, although he knew their stadium needed upgrading, he didn't know it couldn't be saved so the school would have to build a new one. Although Lassner would be OK with similarly shutting football down, he can't get away with that but if UH football takes a downward spin competitively, he might be able to justify turning it into another NMSU or UMass.

This is my worry as well. The Aloha Stadium mess coupled with the potential future emergence of direct pay-for-play for athletes may have led Lassner to conclude UH football will be unaffordable in the long run, so let’s just half-support it until it dies.  Hiring JJ would have fueled massive hope across the state for a return to the glory days and brought the football program an infusion of short-term resources, so that temporary lifeline couldn’t be allowed.

I wouldn’t have bought into such a conspiratorial narrative a few weeks ago, but after seeing how callously this coaching change was handled — with open disdain for fan opinion — I have real concerns.  UH football has over 100 years of great tradition and a still-passionate supporter base, but from Lassner’s seat it may be very tempting to throw all that away in favor of a vision for athletics more aligned with the Big West’s top-performing non-football schools (notably UC Irvine and UC Santa Barbara, and up-and-comer UC San Diego).

4 hours ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Your timeline is off a bit.  CSUN left the Big Sky for the Big West in 2001 and played football as an FCS independent, due to the latter conference being forced to drop it the previous year (2000). CSUN dropped football themselves in 2002. 

Anybody who thought CSUN would ever play a down of football in a 1-A / FBS Big West was nuts.  Even if they had been willing and able to move up to FBS, the conference was not going to let them in.  Not as long as Nevada, Boise, NMSU, Idaho and USU were still around.  CSUN's (and UC Riverside's) opening only came when Nevada, Boise and NMSU left.   By then, Big West and CSUN football were toast.  Fait accompli for CSUN, perhaps.

22 minutes ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

This is my worry as well. The Aloha Stadium mess coupled with the potential future emergence of direct pay-for-play for athletes may have led Lassner to conclude UH football will be unaffordable in the long run, so let’s just half-support it until it dies.  Hiring JJ would have fueled massive hope across the state for a return to the glory days and brought the football program an infusion of short-term resources, so that temporary lifeline couldn’t be allowed.

I wouldn’t have bought into such a conspiratorial narrative a few weeks ago, but after seeing how callously this coaching change was handled — with open disdain for fan opinion — I have real concerns.  UH football has over 100 years of great tradition and a still-passionate supporter base, but from Lassner’s seat it may be very tempting to throw all that away in favor of a vision for athletics more aligned with the Big West’s top-performing non-football schools (notably UC Irvine and UC Santa Barbara, and up-and-comer UC San Diego).

All you have to do is tell Lassner the Big West's history since dropping football in 2000.  I'm sure he would gladly trade in a chance to align with UCLA and USC in the future - however unlikely that is - for slumming with Cal State Northridge and Bakersfield forever. :pitchforks: