Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Warbow

June Jones - New Hawaii coach?

57 minutes ago, LoFasZz said:

It’s a bad look and very unprofessional for June Jones to air his grievances about the negotiation process on twitter publicly. 

You’d think someone w his age, experience and you’d hope maturity would know better. He prob screwed himself 

What does he have to lose.  Hawaii needs him a hell of a lot more than he needs Hawaii, and what they offered him was a slap in the face.  I've got no issue with him going public with that.

This story has set off a firestorm in the Islands. The UH message board is inundated with angry fans. This afternoon’s article in the Honolulu newspaper reporting the details of UH’s “offer” to Jones has already drawn nearly 400 comments, mostly denunciations of Dave Matlin. Social media is blowing up and the criticism is scalding.

As for myself, I wish I knew what the people of Hawaii have done to deserve the country’s most incompetent university athletic director.

Matlin’s proposal to Jones was obviously not in good faith. It was intentionally designed to be unacceptable. Now Matlin is free to make a much more palatable offer to someone far less qualified to turn around the football program — most likely Timmy Chang, whom Matlin has favored from the get-go despite Chang’s obvious lack of preparedness to take on such a daunting challenge. It appears whoever gets the job will have been set up to fail and UH football will be at increased risk of disappearing forever.

I don’t know whether to call it a tragedy or a farce. Either way it’s infuriating to fans like myself who’ve supported UH athetics with our game attendance, our cheers and our hard-earned cash for over 30 years.

2 minutes ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

This story has set off a firestorm in the Islands. The UH message board is inundated with angry fans. This afternoon’s article in the Honolulu newspaper reporting the details of UH’s “offer” to Jones has already drawn nearly 400 comments, mostly denunciations of Dave Matlin. Social media is blowing up and the criticism is scalding.

As for myself, I wish I knew what the people of Hawaii have done to deserve the country’s most incompetent university athletic director.

Matlin’s proposal to Jones was obviously not in good faith. It was intentionally designed to be unacceptable. Now Matlin is free to make a much more palatable offer to someone far less qualified to turn around the football program — most likely Timmy Chang, whom Matlin has favored from the get-go despite Chang’s obvious lack of preparedness to take on such a daunting challenge. It appears whoever gets the job will have been set up to fail and UH football will be at increased risk of disappearing forever.

I don’t know whether to call it a tragedy or a farce. Either way it’s infuriating to fans like myself who’ve supported UH athetics with our game attendance, our cheers and our hard-earned cash for over 30 years.

If the offer to Chang is significantly different, and it will be public record if he takes it, then I don't see Matlin surviving this latest controversy.  Not all of the issues are his fault (he didn't condemn the stadium), but he has put himself at the forefront of all of the negatives.

2 minutes ago, 415hawaiiboy said:

I believe they will find a compromise.  

JJ wants this bad.  

Hawaii wants JJ bad.  

JJ’s last offer was 5 years, totally at will employment with no buyout.  

UH should love that deal

To tell a coach that you have to approve his assistant hires is the height of stupidity and arrogance.  If any coach takes that deal at Hawaii, they're screwed because they just hired a guy that's comfortable with somebody else being in charge.  HC's cannot win if they're not in charge.

12 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

To tell a coach that you have to approve his assistant hires is the height of stupidity and arrogance.  If any coach takes that deal at Hawaii, they're screwed because they just hired a guy that's comfortable with somebody else being in charge.  HC's cannot win if they're not in charge.

I think there’s some legitimate concerns that JJ would hire his friend Art Briles (Baylor, sexual harassment scandal) or the un-Vax Rolo or Craig Stutzmann.  So some veto power, I get from the University’s perspective.

The thing about negotiating terms is they could get creative with finding a compromise. 

Therefore I have hope they will.

4 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Who tf does Matlin think he is?  If the best coach in program history wants to return, and is willing to do it for peanuts out of love for the program, knowing he has to majorly rebuild, you thank your good fortune, not try and swing your dick around.  

If he blows this over that he needs to be fired.  

He should’ve been fired already. This was a sure thing and then JJ met with tweedle dee and tweedle dum and f***ed it over.

22 minutes ago, 415hawaiiboy said:

I think there’s some legitimate concerns that JJ would hire his friend Art Briles (Baylor, sexual harassment scandal) or the un-Vax Rolo or Craig Stutzmann.  So some veto power, I get from the University’s perspective.

The thing about negotiating terms is they could get creative with finding a compromise.

Forget the PC crap.  Hawaii needs a new direction NOW, not down the road.

new name popped up. Johnny Nansen DC of Arizona. Supposedly Matlin was in the mainland interviewing the guy in Cali which is why he was in the mainland this week (and had to do the zoom interview with JJ regarding contract details)

the reason why he would interview someone like Nansen over just getting June Jones the fan favorite is so random. Matlin must hate June Jones for some reason at this point, since JJ was turned down twice before only really coming public with what would likely be his last chance coaching college.

1 hour ago, 415hawaiiboy said:

I highly doubt June Jones wants to hire Art Briles as a college football coach. The CFL is a different story (and that was a bad call too, don't get me wrong).

21 minutes ago, ShoichiKUN808 said:

new name popped up. Johnny Nansen DC of Arizona. Supposedly Matlin was in the mainland interviewing the guy in Cali which is why he was in the mainland this week (and had to do the zoom interview with JJ regarding contract details)

the reason why he would interview someone like Nansen over just getting June Jones the fan favorite is so random. Matlin must hate June Jones for some reason at this point, since JJ was turned down twice before only really coming public with what would likely be his last chance coaching college.

Nansen? Never heard of that guy. Probably a terrible hire like Todd Graham.

srsly tho...setting these ridiculous terms ought 2 be a fireable offense in itself...lol

think about it...hawaii is in some shit straits rn...no real stadium...no fans for 2 yrs practically...shit product on the field...no money...jesus running off all the talent...etc.

and then the antidote 2 it all walks in the door, practically begging for the job...JJ would reenergize the fanbase, prolly get donors to cough up more $$$...in addition 2 just getting an excitement around the program...which has been lacking sorely since...you guessed it...JJ left...lol

instead of embracing that...this dumb+++++ throws out reedickulous terms that even some braindead retard wouldnt agree to...jfc...lol

UH athletics suck goat cock for the most part right now...no excitement...matlins hires have sucked...hes got the charisma of a tomato...and theres no excuse for that...lol

all this shows is that you can never trust michigan people...u should never hire an AD w/o connections around D1..ffs this guy was selling astros tickets before he got some admin job at UH...likely due to daddys connections...and why going cheap on athletic hires is utterly retarded...lol

SAMO©...as an end 2 the vinyl punkery...lol

1 hour ago, 415hawaiiboy said:

they dont have any veto power...the UH AD is in the shitter...largely bc of the chuckleheads who run it...lol

face it...ive taken shits  after a night of white castle and crown that are savvier than matlin and pals...dave is dumber than a box of hammers...lol

ur short of $$$....short of buzz...and short facilities...its a dumpster fire...they should let JJ hire +++++ing charles manson if he wants to as hes the key to digging out of the flaming shitheap your AD finds itself in...lol

Dave Reardon, the sports columnist for the Honolulu Star-Advertiser, calls it like it is in this morning’s opinion piece:

They made him an offer he had to refuse.

After the initial did-that-really-happen and both sides throwing their spin, it’s become evident that the University of Hawaii was either extremely stupid or extremely passive-aggressive in the way it handled June Jones’ offer to return as head football coach during one of the program’s worst times of despair.

Actually, all things considered, I contend that after Friday’s shenanigans the program is now in worse shape than when Jones took over after Fred vonAppen’s 0-12 in ’98.

This time, though, unlike when he coached basically that same group of players to 9-4 in ’99, Jones won’t have a chance to fix the program. Because, speaking of fix, it looks like it was in from the beginning against hiring him.

I vote for extremely stupid.