Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

badfish

SDSU 2023 Recruiting

On 12/15/2022 at 2:56 PM, badfish said:

Yea I remember Kelly’s big year last year so I was surprised when I saw so few catches this yea. Was he hurt?

He was hurt multiple times and had trouble getting on the field when he was healthy.  Partially because we put out a lot of multi TE sets when Fife was QB to prop up the OL, but even when Jake came back the issue is just too many cooks in the kitchen.  Cropper isn't coming off the field most of the time, Remigio is just so explosive you have to get him out there, and Zane Pope stayed healthy and could do everything Kelly could. 

I wish he wasn't leaving but his dad is very involved and was constantly griping about his lack of targets, so the writing has been on the wall for months.  UW tried to get him to transfer up there last cycle but pops had had enough of him playing second fiddle to Jalen McMillan in HS (maybe the prospect of NIL $$$ overrides that concern this go around)

It's odd, because we have no real proven WRs coming back, but i'm just not worried about the WR room.  Even during the worst Deruyter years we were trotting out guys that ended up hanging around NFL rosters.  Someone will step up, and they'll get some JC or portal guy.

On 12/15/2022 at 6:32 PM, Rofl_copter_dos said:

He was hurt multiple times and had trouble getting on the field when he was healthy.  Partially because we put out a lot of multi TE sets when Fife was QB to prop up the OL, but even when Jake came back the issue is just too many cooks in the kitchen.  Cropper isn't coming off the field most of the time, Remigio is just so explosive you have to get him out there, and Zane Pope stayed healthy and could do everything Kelly could. 

I wish he wasn't leaving but his dad is very involved and was constantly griping about his lack of targets, so the writing has been on the wall for months.  UW tried to get him to transfer up there last cycle but pops had had enough of him playing second fiddle to Jalen McMillan in HS (maybe the prospect of NIL $$$ overrides that concern this go around)

It's odd, because we have no real proven WRs coming back, but i'm just not worried about the WR room.  Even during the worst Deruyter years we were trotting out guys that ended up hanging around NFL rosters.  Someone will step up, and they'll get some JC or portal guy.

He’s getting more offers now, but you rarely see a guy leaving a pass heavy program like Fresno for a giant question mark like us.

https://247sports.com/player/brady-nassar-46117385/

big commitment. Kid was a long time CU commit that was dropped by Deion. Has 14 total offers, 7 from PAC12. Two of our top commits are EDGE guys. Recent DL stars have helped improve that position after going a long time with nobodies.

On 12/16/2022 at 8:03 AM, badfish said:

https://247sports.com/player/brady-nassar-46117385/

big commitment. Kid was a long time CU commit that was dropped by Deion. Has 14 total offers, 7 from PAC12. Two of our top commits are EDGE guys. Recent DL stars have helped improve that position after going a long time with nobodies.

Deion pushing CU into the national recruiting picture is going to make it easier on MWC programs.  One less program to fend off for the 3* kids that turn into high level starters.

Picked up JC OT/? from Ventura CC. 6’7” 265, so not sure if he’s a OT or TE. Hawaii and UNR offers.

Also got Western Carolina WR transfer with 10 total G5 offers. Quick and good route runner.

It sounds like the incoming portal and NLI are happening earlier than expected.

We badly need OLine and WR help in the Portal

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

Of the 13 Hard Commits and the WCU Transfer, Eight recruits are from SoCal, 3 from NorCal, 2 Texans and one kid from Florida. The WCU Transfer.

When the PAC invite comes they could strictly recruit SoCal and Vegas and be Wazzu level competitive within 2-3 years 

Americans Mayor

No real surprises on signing day. Good looking class overall. Started REALLY hot, then sort of died out. Highest average commit ranking in the MWC. Not sold on our JC guys, but we’ll see.

Interesting that this class has the highest avg rating in the conf but many seem unsure of its overall quality. When Rocky brought in unheralded players I trusted his eye for talent. Not feeling the same about this staff though. 

On 12/21/2022 at 3:57 PM, AztecSU said:

Interesting that this class has the highest avg rating in the conf but many seem unsure of its overall quality. When Rocky brought in unheralded players I trusted his eye for talent. Not feeling the same about this staff though. 

There were some nice signings. I like the QB and Sinn Brennan alot.

There were some head scratchers. To many undersized WR's. And some unrated O-linemen who fit Goffs profile of big maulers.

I am casting a future interesting eye on Chris Fewell, a 6'2 195 lb linebacker. I'm guessing the Coaching Staff feels they can put 20-25 lbs on him and make him the Aztec back.

Americans Mayor

On 12/21/2022 at 2:57 PM, AztecSU said:

Berry and Stanbeck are huge head scratchers and the staff whiffed on a lot of transfers, but the core of the HS class is really good.

They signed all of their commits this year. No decommits is usually a good sign.

I see we offered UNM Transfer Cody Moon. He is a  6'3" 205 lb linebacker who racked up over 100 tackles last year. I think he would be a great fit at the Aztec position or Safety.

Americans Mayor

On 12/29/2022 at 12:02 AM, Spaztecs said:

They signed all of their commits this year. No decommits is usually a good sign.

I see we offered UNM Transfer Cody Moon. He is a  6'3" 205 lb linebacker who racked up over 100 tackles last year. I think he would be a great fit at the Aztec position or Safety.

Moon would lessen blow lost by Shawcroft and McDonald departures for sure.

We lost the OL commit who flipped to Vanderbilt, but that was it.

On 12/31/2022 at 12:15 PM, badfish said:

Moon, an all-MWC honorable mention, committed to SDSU w/ 3 years eligibility remaining.

And he’s familiar w what we do. Wonder how much of RL’s terminology and package that Mattix retained when he took over? 

Added Oklahoma State backup DT Samuela Tuilahamaka 6’1” 305. 23 tackles, 4 TFL, and 1 sack last season. Appeared in 34 total games over 3 seasons. Is a senior with COVID year left.