Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

robe

Nevada to play BYU in 2024 opening game

https://www.deseret.com/2022/1/19/22892701/byu-football-cougars-reportedly-schedules-nevada-wolfpack-as-nonconference-opponent-in-2024

it looks like BYU is unloading all the games and just starting over with the OOC games. B12 is going to play 9 conference games which probably dooms the BSU series and maybe the USU games as well. 

The Masters 5k road race All American.

10 minutes ago, BacksThePack said:

Looking forward to play them, 100k is a joke though when other B12 schools paid us 1.5M

It has to be a home and home I’m thinking. Nevada has owned us. I’m not to thrill to play a dangerous team. 

Reading how the article lays out, they are making it sound like a one and done for BYU unless another game is down the line at some point. Or there is more to the agreement than just football. Sometimes they will try to schedule a basketball game or other sports maybe at the same time to, but again the way that is written its making it sound like its a one and done.

1 hour ago, robe said:

https://www.deseret.com/2022/1/19/22892701/byu-football-cougars-reportedly-schedules-nevada-wolfpack-as-nonconference-opponent-in-2024

it looks like BYU is unloading all the games and just starting over with the OOC games. B12 is going to play 9 conference games which probably dooms the BSU series and maybe the USU games as well. 

I will be sad if/when the annual BSU game goes away.

4 hours ago, robe said:

It has to be a home and home I’m thinking. Nevada has owned us. I’m not to thrill to play a dangerous team. 

If you really want to play Nevada their team is now playing at CSU. Next years Nevada, Reno team will be an easy win. 

2 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

Maybe Nevada will pick up some of BYUs OOC opponents w all of the changes it will have in the next few years. And Knuth is getting bashed for his football schedules as of late. 

I’m wonder if that is part of deal maybe. No way Nevada goes to Provo for just a 100k

4 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

Reading how the article lays out, they are making it sound like a one and done for BYU unless another game is down the line at some point. Or there is more to the agreement than just football. Sometimes they will try to schedule a basketball game or other sports maybe at the same time to, but again the way that is written its making it sound like its a one and done.

It does but it doesn’t make sense. There has to more to it as you suggest.

40 minutes ago, robe said:

I’m wonder if that is part of deal maybe. No way Nevada goes to Provo for just a 100k

In the same article on Nevada Sports Net it says Nevada is paying EWU $400k to play at Mackay. I would imagine BYU pays twice that with the size of its stadium to attract opponents. 

1 hour ago, NevadaFan said:

In the same article on Nevada Sports Net it says Nevada is paying EWU $400k to play at Mackay. I would imagine BYU pays twice that with the size of its stadium to attract opponents. 

There has to be more to the story, or that is ridiculous. Say what you will about Knuth's scheduling, but he's done a good job of getting us money games against beatable P5 opponents. Unless this will be a home and home, or we're making some agreement with other parts of BYU's schedule there's no way we'd play this game for $100k.

2 hours ago, bigd said:

There has to be more to the story, or that is ridiculous. Say what you will about Knuth's scheduling, but he's done a good job of getting us money games against beatable P5 opponents. Unless this will be a home and home, or we're making some agreement with other parts of BYU's schedule there's no way we'd play this game for $100k.

Minnesota is paying you 1.2 million and NMS in 2022 is paying you 200k according to the expanded article. Is the NMS a H/ H?

3 hours ago, robe said:

Minnesota is paying you 1.2 million and NMS in 2022 is paying you 200k according to the expanded article. Is the NMS a H/ H?

Yeah NMSU is a H/H, we paid them a similar amount for the game this year.

8 hours ago, bigd said:

Yeah NMSU is a H/H, we paid them a similar amount for the game this year.

That's pretty lame when the best you can do with scheduling the NewMags is H/H.

Most schools get 2/1 or 3/1 with them.

At least you didn't play twice in the same season.

I am curious as to why only a one off with YBU for 100k was inked. Will 100k cover travel expenses ?

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

1 hour ago, Spaztecs said:

That's pretty lame when the best you can do with scheduling the NewMags is H/H.

Most schools get 2/1 or 3/1 with them.

At least you didn't play twice in the same season.

I am curious as to why only a one off with YBU for 100k was inked. Will 100k cover travel expenses ?

That's why we're hoping there's more to the story. The 100k has to be part of some bigger deal that has yet to be announced, it makes no sense. 

I also wish we could somehow manage a h/h or even a two for one with BYU. Knuth's scheduling has been good financially for the most part, but it's been many years since we've had a P5 at home. 

I'm okay with the NMSU h/h, they're old conference rivals. In normal years I wouldn't be a fan of our OOC next season, but it's absolutely perfect for a new coach and new roster. Even if we're in the bottom ten next season, we could potentially go 3-1 OOC:

@NMSU

Texas State

Incarnate Word

@Iowa

22 minutes ago, bigd said:

That's why we're hoping there's more to the story. The 100k has to be part of some bigger deal that has yet to be announced, it makes no sense. 

I also wish we could somehow manage a h/h or even a two for one with BYU. Knuth's scheduling has been good financially for the most part, but it's been many years since we've had a P5 at home. 

I'm okay with the NMSU h/h, they're old conference rivals. In normal years I wouldn't be a fan of our OOC next season, but it's absolutely perfect for a new coach and new roster. Even if we're in the bottom ten next season, we could potentially go 3-1 OOC:

@NMSU

Texas State

Incarnate Word

@Iowa

If they don't come out the gate 3-1, time to boycott Home Games. That is incredibly borderline FCS scheduling.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

Somebody was saying the contract was written, so CSU would have an opportunity to take the home date for a game vs YBU at Canvas in Ft Fun.

GO CSU Ram Pack!!!