Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crixus

2022 Mountain West Baseball

On 6/24/2022 at 4:12 PM, Lester_in_reno said:

Wolf Pack coach TJ Bruce is leaving for asst. coach job  at TCU.

He gave the Pack a decade of solid coaching.

Can only imagine with  a nice bump in $.

I was always underwhelmed by him as a HC, but he wasn't horrible. I'd love to see DJ Whittmore in Reno. 

2022 College World Series Championship - Ole Miss beat Oklahoma in game one, 10-3. 

Ole Miss wins game two 4-2, and their first College World Series title. Congratulations Rebels! 

Enjoy your summer everybody. B)

On 6/24/2022 at 2:37 PM, Slapdad said:

I was always underwhelmed by him as a HC, but he wasn't horrible. I'd love to see DJ Whittmore in Reno. 

He always seemed like a natural fit, I saw he was coaching HS baseball in Oregon for awhile but then stepped down. No idea what he's up to these days. 

I doubt we could poach from Tulane, but they just hired Jay Uhlman, who is a Nevada alumni as their head coach. Tulane likely has more money and is a better job for baseball, but it's at least worth a shot. 

From 6 wins in 2021 to 30 win 2022. 👊 Kudos Spartans! I can't wait for the 2023 season.

Like a skipping record, Nevada's top two pitchers and top two position players in the transfer portal after TJ Bruce leaves for TCU. So far, none of them have landed at TCU, but it's still disheartening. 

On 6/29/2022 at 8:42 AM, Slapdad said:

Like a skipping record, Nevada's top two pitchers and top two position players in the transfer portal after TJ Bruce leaves for TCU. So far, none of them have landed at TCU, but it's still disheartening. 

Yeah we're used to the drill at this point. Kade Morris has already announced he's following Bruce to TCU. 

On 6/29/2022 at 3:26 PM, bigd said:

Yeah we're used to the drill at this point. Kade Morris has already announced he's following Bruce to TCU. 

F' that guy! :D

Reno looks like a nice location for baseball - I've never been there - and Nevada is in a decent conference.  They should be able to hold onto HCs better than this.

On 6/24/2022 at 2:37 PM, Slapdad said:

Me to after Johnson and the good things they said about him I was up for it but he was just underwhelming, maybe he is a better recruiter than head coach, I mean nothing at all against that his best year with Nevada was his first year and I think with how down MWC has been in baseball maybe helped him

On 6/26/2022 at 12:02 PM, jdgaucho said:

USC has been turned down by UCSB's Andrew Checketts (twice) and now Texas assistant Troy Tulowitzki.  

@wolfpack1 and @East Coast Aztec, I guess Trojan money just doesn't go as far as it used to.

to me USC baseball is a different animal. If I was the UCSB coach probably would make the same decision still a lot to do at UCSB yet. USC has had two winning seasons in baseball since 2005 that is like a total rebuild project and if the university wants it done in a short time, those are two strikes against the job. Really USC baseball is Dedeaux and Gillespie.

On 6/29/2022 at 8:06 PM, wolfpack1 said:

to me USC baseball is a different animal. If I was the UCSB coach probably would make the same decision still a lot to do at UCSB yet. USC has had two winning seasons in baseball since 2005 that is like a total rebuild project and if the university wants it done in a short time, those are two strikes against the job. Really USC baseball is Dedeaux and Gillespie.

After further review, there's more to it.  Dedeaux Field will be converted into an aquatics center for the 2028 Olympics (swimming & diving).  USC baseball will likely have to play off-campus for a year or two.

That said, it's still a job in a power conference, located in SoCal.  USC has money to burn.  They shouldn't be struggling this much to hire a coach.

On 6/29/2022 at 8:57 PM, jdgaucho said:

After further review, there's more to it.  Dedeaux Field will be converted into an aquatics center for the 2028 Olympics (swimming & diving).  USC baseball will likely have to play off-campus for a year or two.

That said, it's still a job in a power conference, located in SoCal.  USC has money to burn.  They shouldn't be struggling this much to hire a coach.

Traditionally baseball coaches aren't paid that much money, have to do everything pretty much themselves. But again take  those two coaches away USC really isn't a power in baseball. I don't see it as an attractive job. UCLA is a better job and actually possible Fullerton and Long Beach. If you need to find a coach that wants a long time rebuild and if USC isn't going to let them have that long to rebuild I would step away from it as well.