Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV at Air Force

University of Nevada Las Vegas    image.png

DATE: Thursday, January 20
TIME: 7 p.m. MT/6 p.m. PT
SITE: Clune Arena (5,843), Colorado Springs, Colorado
TV: Mountain West Network
RADIO: ESPN Radio 1100 AM (Jon Sandler, Curtis Terry, sideline: Steve Cofield)
AUDIO: UNLV Gameday App/TuneIn & UNLVRebels.com

UNLV leads the all-time series 43-14

UNLV has won each of the last five meetings vs. the Falcons, which have all occurred at the Thomas & Mack Center

This will mark UNLV’s first trip to Air Force since Jan. 16, 2019, which was a 106-88 Runnin’ Rebel loss

UNLV is 1-4 in its last five trips to Air Force

The Runnin’ Rebels are 12-12 all-time at Air Force

Overall, the Runnin’ Rebels have won eight of the last nine meetings vs. Air Force

Air Force opened Mountain West play with a 49-47 home win over Utah State on Dec. 29 but has lost three straight since, most recently Tuesday night at Boise State (62-56)

Air Force is 5-1 at home this season

The Falcons rank 23rd in the country in scoring defense (61.0 ppg) and 24th in 3-point field-goal defense (28.9%)

The Runnin’ Rebels are 6-2 over their last eight games

Bryce Hamilton has scored 1,386 points during his college career, which currently ranks 15th in UNLV history. Hamilton recently passed J.R. Rider, who scored 1,372 career points in a UNLV uniform. Larry Johnson is 14th with 1,617

UNLV senior guard Jordan McCabe is 10th in the country in assist turnover ratio at 3.1 and 50th in assists per game at 4.9. Senior forward Royce Hamm Jr. is 11th in the country in rebounds per game at 10.0, 12th in defensive rebounds per game (7.2) and 47th in double-doubles with five. Senior guard Bryce Hamilton is 33rd in field goals made with 115 and 60th in points per game at 18.2. As a team, UNLV is 37th in assist turnover ratio (1.4), 40th in turnovers per game (11.2) and 67th in field-goal percentage defense (40.5)

Since the 3-point field goal was adopted by the NCAA in 1986-87, UNLV has converted at least one 3-pointer in all 1,146 games played

BSU didn't play particularly well against AFA last night, but AFA is scrappy and resilient and their match up zone really had our offense jacked up for long periods. I'm not looking forward to playing them at Clune. If UNLV isn't locked in defensively and hitting shots it's going to be tough to get out of there with a W.

12 hours ago, KingBronco said:

BSU didn't play particularly well against AFA last night, but AFA is scrappy and resilient and their match up zone really had our offense jacked up for long periods. I'm not looking forward to playing them at Clune. If UNLV isn't locked in defensively and hitting shots it's going to be tough to get out of there with a W.

It was a good battle of freshman.  Deganhart won the day for sure.  BSU really put the clamps on Ethan Taylor and he looked frustrated.  The previous week he hit a triple double.  Fourteen points, 10 rebounds, and 10 assists.  BSU extended the D and really took the AF three game away.  AF is going to want to redeem themselves tonight.  

Stamp.

Ukrainian postage stamp honoring Snake Island soldiers

A season of learning who we are. AF starts 3 freshmen 1 sophomore and 1 senior. First two off bench a junior and sophomore. 3rd youngest team in NCAA. For them to go down by 14 early in 1st half then come back to take the lead twice ON THE ROAD at Boise speaks volumes about the current and future potential of this team. 

GO FALCONS 

..GO FALCONS..

This will be a tough game for the Rebels tonight but needed. We need a good game playing against a good zone defense team. Defense was the 1st priority of this staff yet without being able to play against a zone and break it we really don’t have a competent defense. I sure hope that we attack the zone and don’t get lazy and just start jacking up outside shots. 

On our defensive end this will really show how tight we play and help out each other. Keyshon needs to get 25 minutes tonight to disrupt AFA offensive flow. He is Captain Chaos on the floor and tonight is a perfect matchup for him. This will be fun tonight. All in all it just another brick in the wall.

AirForce always plays UNLV tough, i think this will be a very close hard fought game.  UNLV will need a goodscoring game out of someone other than BH and DW. Baker, Nuga, Hamm, or McCabe need to step up and have a good offensive game and shoot a good percentage instead of the typical 1-7 or like.  I think UNLV takes this in a very close game but if the offense doesnt show up it could be a long nght for the Rebs.

If I'm Kruger, I use the UNLV bench depth and pick AF at lease 3/4 court and make them burn clock getting into their offense - AF is a ball control offense and they take lot's of looks before taking a shot, so the less time AF as to look & backdoor the better

52 minutes ago, quickdraw said:

This will be a tough game for the Rebels tonight but needed. We need a good game playing against a good zone defense team. Defense was the 1st priority of this staff yet without being able to play against a zone and break it we really don’t have a competent defense. I sure hope that we attack the zone and don’t get lazy and just start jacking up outside shots. 

On our defensive end this will really show how tight we play and help out each other. Keyshon needs to get 25 minutes tonight to disrupt AFA offensive flow. He is Captain Chaos on the floor and tonight is a perfect matchup for him. This will be fun tonight. All in all it just another brick in the wall.

Note that UNLV will NOT see zone tonight but WILL see 40mins of matchup zone.  Zone played with switching players so you are not sure if you are playing vs zone or man-to-man.  Will be interesting how the Falcons will do back home after a quick turnaround from two nights ago vs Boise.  Biggest issue will be if AF does not shoot themselves in the foot with sell-induced turnovers then they will be in the game. 

GO FALCONS

..GO FALCONS..

1 hour ago, quickdraw said:

Yes.  One of the ways to disrupt a Princeton offense is with ball pressure.  Keshon Gilbert does that very well.

1 hour ago, UNLV2001 said:

If I'm Kruger, I use the UNLV bench depth and pick AF at lease 3/4 court and make them burn clock getting into their offense - AF is a ball control offense and they take lot's of looks before taking a shot, so the less time AF as to look & backdoor the better

I like the strategy but to play devil's advocate that could wear UNLV down due to the elevation.

1 hour ago, toonkee said:

I like the strategy but to play devil's advocate that could wear UNLV down due to the elevation.

True - But UNLV does have some depth in that 9 to 10 guys can & have played - Think it could work with a more rapid rotation of subs 

UNLV is a 6 point favorite with the O/U at 127.5 per William Hill app 

Not sure I can lay 6 on UNLV............Could tease AF up to +11 and tie it to another game like Boise St +6 at USU 

AF was -19 at BSU the other night and the line was never in play & that teaser was AF +24 

6 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

This is pretty much the approach CSU took, and it worked.  Just a couple days off of a long Covid pause it really wore us out, but it was effective.  AFA was usually at about 20 seconds before getting into their offense.