Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sdsuphilip4

MWC MBB rank em

This is a mixture of how good I think the teams are and how well they’ve played.

Tier 1:

1. SDSU- handed CSU their only loss in very impressive fashion.

2. CSU- Turned around from SDSU game beating a decent USU team at home amd thrashing a terrible SJSU. 
3. Wyoming- By far the most impressive road win in conference play

Tier 2:

4. Boise has taken care of 2 bottom half teams on road, and 1 good team at home. I still think they are a bit behind the top 3 given their shooting and they aren’t as good as SDSU defensively

Tier 3:

5. Fresno Stats-Orlando Robinson maybe the best player in the conferencs

Tier 4:

6. Utah State-This is giving them a bit of benefit of doubt given ooc success

Tier 5:

7. Nevada

Tier 6:

8. UNLV

9. AFA

Tier 7:

10. UNM

11. SJSU

1. San Diego State - currently in the driver’s seat. Let’s see how they do coming out of COVID pause and having to play at elevation.

2. Boise State - Broncos really coming on. Playing great D and killing teams on the glass. But those free throws…

3. Colorado State - Rams finally showed signs that they’ve moved past the COVID pause by smashing San Jose State. Still not quite back to how well they were playing but close.

4. Wyoming - best conference win to date with the roadie in Logan. Maldonado/Ike duo is a tough guard. Secondary scoring and depth might be issues as the conference season progresses.

5. Fresno State - Orlando Robinson is playing as well as anyone right now. I’m most concerned that they lost a scorer in Jemarl Baker for the season. 

6. Utah State - Aggies are reeling but they get the benefit of the doubt based on previous work. I think their lack of depth is catching up with them.

7. UNLV - I see this as the Rebs ceiling. Too many issues on both ends of the floor but they have enough to cause problems to anyone that visits the T&M.

8. Nevada - I keep waiting for the Pack to get it together. Too much talent to be playing the way they have been.

9. Air Force - Falcons are proving to be a tough out. They play hard, they play smart, and will beat you if you are unprepared.

10. New Mexico - crazy dangerous backcourt but very weak in the paint. They might surprise someone in the Pit but I see them really struggling on the road.

11. San Jose State - Sparty opened with a pair of tough games (Fresno roadie, CSU at home) and looked absolutely defeated. Young, inexperienced, not a lot of depth. Even with Miles, they will struggle badly as the season progresses.

10 minutes ago, misplacedcowboy said:

Wyo is top 4. But definitely a notch or 2 below SDSU and CSU. 

Hopefully all the postponements are behind us so we can get a better idea of how teams stack up. All the unbalanced schedules might mess things up like last year

I see Fresno, Wyoming, and Boise all being pretty close. Just a notch below the top two. 

50 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

I see Fresno, Wyoming, and Boise all being pretty close. Just a notch below the top two. 

Agree. Top 2 are their own level. Those 3 are a notch below, but I'd give Boise and Wyo a slight edge over Fresno at this point. Aggies and Reno are another level down. And then there's UNLV trying their best to hang with them and avoid falling into the basement with the bottom 3.

are we still playing basketball?

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

2 hours ago, ph90702 said:

The fact that UNLV is going to be in the play-in game again is an EMBARRASSMENT!

But wait...you still have a pre-historic "natty."

3 hours ago, ph90702 said:

The fact that UNLV is going to be in the play-in game again is an EMBARRASSMENT!

To you I guess. They've been a bottom half team for most of a decade now. 

How old were you when UNLV was really good? Did you go to the games or did Grandpappy just tell you stories about the good 'ol days?

1) I still believe in CSU. The pause really hurt them but they are starting to round into form again. When the dust settles I think they’ll be in the top spot. 

2) The Aztecs dominated the Rams at home and caught them at just the right time. I think the lack of consistent offense is going to bite the Aztecs in the butt on the road in particular. 

3) Boise State defense and rebounding is carrying them. I didn’t think I would ever say that about their defense. The only team that matches them in size and athletes is SDSU. The Broncos should beat Air Force at home. If they can split the two roadies against USU and SDSU it puts them in great shape after playing 5 games in 11 days in 5 states, four being on the road. 

4) I really like this Fresno State team. They play great team defense and are physically tough. Robinson is a load and tough to defend. They would be near the top with one more stud scoring threat.

5) Wyoming is well balanced but lack a point guard. What could have been if Marcus Williams hadn’t left the Pokes. Their win in Logan was a big one, but the Aggies just aren’t that good this year. They are going to have to cram a bunch of postponed games in a short time frame and that will take a toll. Wyoming has one of the best under the radar coaches in the league in Jeff Linder. They are always well prepared. 

6) Nevada has been an enigma so far this season. The talent is there but something is off. I pinpoint that on defense. If they start defending like they can they’ll be the team I thought they were. 

7) Utah State has fallen like a rock which I thought would be the case without Queta. Wyoming just hammered the Aggies inside and they couldn’t stop it. On top of that their perimeter shooting without Miller has been atrocious. They’ve also been physically hurting. Still they’re a notch above the bottom four

8) UNLV plays as hard as any team in the league. They have two good scorers in Hamilton and Williams who is a future star. The drop off on offense after those two is steep. I think they’ll still take a couple of the top teams down but lack the consistency to do more. 

9) Air Force has some great young players and are tough in Colorado Springs. The future looks bright. I can see them moving up in the standings next year. The lack of experience and an inside threat is hurting them right now. 

10) New Mexico is a better team than last year but their lack of a post presence is killing them. Everyone knows it and are attacking them inside. If I were them I would go to a pressing defense to take advantage of the guys they have. 

11) Miles stepped into a tough situation at SJSU and had some early success. He still doesn’t have enough talent to compete with most teams in the MWC. I think you’ll see him recruit better players in the next two years and they will be tough to beat. 

If you go of the NET rankings there is a clear top 6 bottom 6 scenario going on. NET rankings would pretty much be my ranking with the expecting of switching WY and SDSU.

#27 Wyoming

#29 Colorado State

#45 San Diego State

#47 Boise State

#54 Fresno

#64 Utah State

#131 Nevada

#134 UNLV

#191 New Mexico

#244 Air Force

#258 San Jose State

15 hours ago, misplacedcowboy said:

Agree. Top 2 are their own level. Those 3 are a notch below, but I'd give Boise and Wyo a slight edge over Fresno at this point. Aggies and Reno are another level down. And then there's UNLV trying their best to hang with them and avoid falling into the basement with the bottom 3.

I've been impressed with Fresno. Their defense is exceptional. They don't have that #2 scorer (which they could use), but they have a whole bunch of 7-8 ppg guys. It wouldn't be terribly surprising to me if they finished 3rd. It would be surprising to me if anyone outside of the top 5 finished 3rd or better.