Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

badfish

Todd “Dr. Pepper” Graham out at UH

5 hours ago, ShoichiKUN808 said:

Depends on his staff but it does feel a bit soon though for such a big leap. He could bring in recently out of work guys like Brian Smith and maybe Craig Stutzman wants to upgrade after just accepting the OC position at Utah Tech(fmr. Dixie St) to the OC at Hawaii. 

Also wonder how he builds the rest of the staff. If Smith and Stutz come aboard as co-OC/RB and the co-OC/QB coach like they were with Rolo. Bunch of other positions to fill. WR, OL, DC, ST, etc. even if Timmy retains all the defensive guys like Abe(Safety), Yoro(LB), McCloud (CB), and VSC (DL).

Timmy also probably would bring someone he worked with at places like Nevada and elsewhere as well. I’d hope JJ or Miano get a position on the staff if Timmy is named. Someone that has a lot of experience.

the 2022 season is a wash anyways, so many transfers of starters due to Graham that committed/signed elsewhere, the graduating class graduating, and its nearing the end of recruiting season with not much signees. The next coach has a big rebuild on his hands no matter who is chosen

2022 being a wash might actually help Chang's cause. I sense that Hawaii fans would be more patient with him than other candidates given (A), his popularity and (B) the state of the program.  As long as he has the right staff, he'd at least keep Hawaii afloat while the new stadium is built.

5 hours ago, Old_Sparty1857 said:

Couldn’t give two shits about Graham. I agreed he was a bad fit, just thought it was silly all the whining going on in Hawaii. They ran off a proven Coach and will end up with someone like Timmy Chang.  Maybe that needed to happen, but be careful what you wish for. Like I said, it’s likely to get worse before it gets better. 

My God? 
Get back to your buffet, SAMO. 

ok penni...lol

also...ableist...smh...lol

29 minutes ago, Warbow said:

Say no to Timmy Chang! 

“Coach Timmy” just doesn’t sound football. Maybe a tennis coach name.

seriously, unless he can pull in some quality experienced assistants, no way will he succeed. And Hawaii doesn’t pay assistants well, so there’s that.

The fact that Chang is even getting serious consideration just proves how seriously dysfunctional and desperate Hawaii FB is. Your AD has such a bad reputation that it’s seriously going to limit who applies. I’m not trying to bash, just being objective. JJ would easily be the smart pick to stabilize things, but you need a new AD just as bad as a new coach. 

kat.jpg

2 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

The fact that Chang is even getting serious consideration just proves how seriously dysfunctional and desperate Hawaii FB is. Your AD has such a bad reputation that it’s seriously going to limit who applies. I’m not trying to bash, just being objective. JJ would easily be the smart pick to stabilize things, but you need a new AD just as bad as a new coach. 

Doesn’t matter who he picks, we’ll still beat the $hit out of Nevada.

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

42 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

2022 being a wash might actually help Chang's cause. I sense that Hawaii fans would be more patient with him than other candidates given (A), his popularity and (B) the state of the program.  As long as he has the right staff, he'd at least keep Hawaii afloat while the new stadium is built.

I can foresee him getting a 4 year contract with heavily incentives and base pay of around $500k (about the same as Rolo's initial updated for current rates).

Hawaii fans at least a majority would probably waive off 2022 with a couple negative people sprinkled in as long as games are exciting. But by 2023 he will start feeling the heat if he’s not winning at a .500 clip or more. 2024, if he’s still struggling he won’t get another season. 2025 I can see a new stadium (if the state gets their act together) opening for a new coach of the program if Timmy failed to bring the program back.

1 hour ago, ShoichiKUN808 said:

I can foresee him getting a 4 year contract with heavily incentives and base pay of around $500k (about the same as Rolo's initial updated for current rates).

Hawaii fans at least a majority would probably waive off 2022 with a couple negative people sprinkled in as long as games are exciting. But by 2023 he will start feeling the heat if he’s not winning at a .500 clip or more. 2024, if he’s still struggling he won’t get another season. 2025 I can see a new stadium (if the state gets their act together) opening for a new coach of the program if Timmy failed to bring the program back.

That's +++++ing tough to walk into. 

44 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

That's +++++ing tough to walk into. 

Hawaii hasn’t had a coach that failed to record a .500 record in at least one of their first 3 seasons (if you remove Chow) going back to Von Appen. UH admin seem to want to have the final year buyout be a discount to the coach salary. So both Mack and Chow got bought out with a year remaining on theirs. Timmy would probably get something like a 4(maybe 5) year contract as he would be a risky hire like Rolo was at the time.

I’d think if New Aloha is ready by then it would probably push the school to consider looking for a new coach if Timmy was still struggling, just to bring in new interest to the program at a new home field. And it sounds like the stadium is still a couple years away with teardown starting later this year so it kind of lines up. 

Speaking of Dr. Pepper and Graham, it’s too late now, but today I saw that the Dr. Pepper Fairy commercial is back on the air, and that would’ve been funny to glue a cut out of the annoying fairy dude to a Dr. Pepper can on his desk. I would’ve paid good money to see a hidden cam video of him discovering that!! 

kat.jpg

From all accounts Chang has HC potential but I think he’d have major difficulty getting a quality staff to join in. It’s late in the year and he’s very young. It’d be very hard to get a quality staff to take that leap w him at Hawaii right now

Colorado-State-RB.gif http://s3.amazonaws.com/newscloud-production/newscloudcms/2013/09/5223f4947e85e85e0b00161e/photos/cam4476904/gallery.jpg?1378094250

1 hour ago, LoFasZz said:

From all accounts Chang has HC potential but I think he’d have major difficulty getting a quality staff to join in. It’s late in the year and he’s very young. It’d be very hard to get a quality staff to take that leap w him at Hawaii right now

I concur with this... Not only did Todd Graham screw the program by letting all the players leave, but the timing of his resignation couldn't have been worse. The 2022 recruiting cycle is almost done and no coach or staff in place means this coming year is already screwed.  2023 might be better if they get lucky with the portal but the more likely scenario is that Hawaii is facing a 3-4 year rebuild trying to develop high school kids.  Tough job for anyone much less a guy that's never had HC experience.  

20 hours ago, ShoichiKUN808 said:

According to reports, Matlin personally called Timmy to apply for the job. Looks like Matlin is going back to his original “young potential , up and comer that bleeds green” book of looking for HC’s. Like Ganot, Rolo and Ah Mow

I expect Chang to receive a stern talking to by Norvell about things like loyalty and finishing what he started.....all of which are foundational beliefs of Jay Norvell. 

4 hours ago, RambleOn said:

I concur with this... Not only did Todd Graham screw the program by letting all the players leave, but the timing of his resignation couldn't have been worse. The 2022 recruiting cycle is almost done and no coach or staff in place means this coming year is already screwed.  2023 might be better if they get lucky with the portal but the more likely scenario is that Hawaii is facing a 3-4 year rebuild trying to develop high school kids.  Tough job for anyone much less a guy that's never had HC experience.  

Yeah portal is a double edge sword for Hawaii. Because of the portal they could be one of the worse teams in the nation next year. BUT it also gives them a chance to completely turn it around for the 23 season. In theory there should be a lot of playing time open and some players might be enticed by that playing time/spending a couple of years on the island.

22 hours ago, ShoichiKUN808 said:

Depends on his staff but it does feel a bit soon though for such a big leap. He could bring in recently out of work guys like Brian Smith and maybe Craig Stutzman wants to upgrade after just accepting the OC position at Utah Tech(fmr. Dixie St) to the OC at Hawaii. 

Also wonder how he builds the rest of the staff. If Smith and Stutz come aboard as co-OC/RB and the co-OC/QB coach like they were with Rolo. Bunch of other positions to fill. WR, OL, DC, ST, etc. even if Timmy retains all the defensive guys like Abe(Safety), Yoro(LB), McCloud (CB), and VSC (DL).

Timmy also probably would bring someone he worked with at places like Nevada and elsewhere as well. I’d hope JJ or Miano get a position on the staff if Timmy is named. Someone that has a lot of experience.

the 2022 season is a wash anyways, so many transfers of starters due to Graham that committed/signed elsewhere, the graduating class graduating, and its nearing the end of recruiting season with not much signees. The next coach has a big rebuild on his hands no matter who is chosen

Timmy Chang wouldn't be a bad choice as a stopgap.  He'll maintain fan interest at least until your new stadium is ready.  I don't know about his coaching abilities though.

Just before the stadium is ready then that's when Hawaii should hire a real coach if Chang proves he's in over his head.  A new stadium is great for recruiting.  We should know, it's happening with us.  

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.