Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

badfish

Todd “Dr. Pepper” Graham out at UH

45 minutes ago, ShoichiKUN808 said:

I'd guess ones that have applied for the job the last few go around or have shown interest. For the most part, the pool will likely come from a former player or assistant of Hawaii. Would be surprised if the coach came from someone not mentioned below.

• June Jones (former player & still held in high regard with Hawaii fans as coach) - reportedly he has been reached out to by boosters about his interest 
  • Rich Miano (former player & long time assistant)- applied for the job that went to Rolo. Has been away from coaching doing more business sides of football (creator of the Polynesian Bowl)
  • Craig Stutzman (former player & assistant) - applied for the job before after Rolo left. The only thing withstanding is the President/BOR/AD's feelings regarding his lack of vaccination status.
  • Brian Smith (former player & assistant) - applied for the job before after Rolo left. He isn't as held in high regard to as Stutz although he doesn't have the cons of Stutzman outside of fb.
  • Brian Norwood (former player & assistant) - applied for the job the last couple go arounds. He's been stuck as an assistant for a long while at places like Baylor, Tulsa, UCLA, etc.
  • Mark Banker (former assistant) - applied for the job before. He's been known to get Hawaii HS kids to mainland schools. 
  • Timmy Chang (former player) - he's more an outlier and hasn't applied before. Has shown interest in returning to coach the program if things turned that way
  • Abe Elimimian (former player & current assistant) - Unlikely but he has stuck around the program since Chow's final years
  • Victor Santa Cruz (former player & current assistant) - he's been around the program since Graham came over. He applied before when he was HC of D2 school Azusa Pacific.

Does Jones still live in Hawaii? I see that he is involved in something called CoachTube and he was going to be a head coach in the XFL which went defunt might be coming back again

18 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

Does Jones still live in Hawaii? I see that he is involved in something called CoachTube and he was going to be a head coach in the XFL which went defunt might be coming back again

He’s been seen on island recently and was at the Sony Open. Supposedly has said before he was vouching for Miano as HC if it came to that (before TG resigned). But who knows if a booster can convince him to enter the ring himself.

2 hours ago, ShoichiKUN808 said:

I'd guess ones that have applied for the job the last few go around or have shown interest. For the most part, the pool will likely come from a former player or assistant of Hawaii. Would be surprised if the coach came from someone not mentioned below.

• June Jones (former player & still held in high regard with Hawaii fans as coach) - reportedly he has been reached out to by boosters about his interest 
  • Rich Miano (former player & long time assistant)- applied for the job that went to Rolo. Has been away from coaching doing more business sides of football (creator of the Polynesian Bowl)
  • Craig Stutzman (former player & assistant) - applied for the job before after Rolo left. The only thing withstanding is the President/BOR/AD's feelings regarding his lack of vaccination status.
  • Brian Smith (former player & assistant) - applied for the job before after Rolo left. He isn't as held in high regard to as Stutz although he doesn't have the cons of Stutzman outside of fb.
  • Brian Norwood (former player & assistant) - applied for the job the last couple go arounds. He's been stuck as an assistant for a long while at places like Baylor, Tulsa, UCLA, etc.
  • Mark Banker (former assistant) - applied for the job before. He's been known to get Hawaii HS kids to places he coached
  • Timmy Chang (former player) - he's more an outlier and hasn't applied before. Has shown interest in returning to coach the program if things turned that way
  • Abe Elimimian (former player & current assistant) - Unlikely but he has stuck around the program since Chow's final years
  • Victor Santa Cruz (former player & current assistant) - he's been around the program since Graham came over. He applied before when he was HC of D2 school Azusa Pacific.
  • Corey Batoon (local born & former assistant) - was part of Rolo’s staff and has been around at other programs doing well as a DC
  • Keith Bonopha (former player & assistant) - unlikely but he is a former player of the program and is doing well for himself elsewhere
  • Chad Kauha’aha’a (local born) - unlikely but he has continued to do well elsewhere
  • Ikaika Malloe (local born & former assistant) - unlikely but has coached the program before and doing well elsewhere 

Thanks. 

My gut tells you they go with June Jones, and they have someone in mind to follow him, that will be on staff, and can be groomed. 

I have always liked Hawaii football. The Brennan/Jones year were a fun time to be on the Island. They have to get this right.

When will the new stadium be ready?

I hope Chang doesn’t leave to be OC

Colorado-State-RB.gif http://s3.amazonaws.com/newscloud-production/newscloudcms/2013/09/5223f4947e85e85e0b00161e/photos/cam4476904/gallery.jpg?1378094250

1 hour ago, fanhood said:

Thanks. 

My gut tells you they go with June Jones, and they have someone in mind to follow him, that will be on staff, and can be groomed. 

I have always liked Hawaii football. The Brennan/Jones year were a fun time to be on the Island. They have to get this right.

When will the new stadium be ready?

Hopefully…Matlin has had the opportunity before with JJ who showed real interest but he went with Rolo instead at the time. While I’m hopeful for a guy like JJ im sort of expecting a hire like Brian Smith. Former player, former assistant/OC, knows the RnS, experience in the PAC12 and likely would keep much of the remaining staff that isn’t linked directly to Graham (Abe, Yoro, McCloud, VSC), and doesn’t have any obvious red flags.

So far Matlin’s main hires have been Eran Ganot(MBB), Nick Rolovich(FB), Robyn Ah Mow(WVB), Todd Graham(FB) and Rich Hill (Baseball) so it’s a mix of coaches with and without prior HC experience so who knows where he goes this time.

The new stadium probably won’t be ready till 2025 or 2026 from the way it’s been going with delays and just general slowness. I’m guessing 2022 teardown, 2023 rebuild, 2024 rebuild, 2025 finalize

19 minutes ago, ShoichiKUN808 said:

Hopefully…Matlin has had the opportunity before with JJ who showed real interest but he went with Rolo instead at the time. While I’m hopeful for a guy like JJ im sort of expecting a hire like Brian Smith. Former player, former assistant/OC, knows the RnS, experience in the PAC12 and likely would keep much of the remaining staff that isn’t linked directly to Graham (Abe, Yoro, McCloud, VSC), and doesn’t have any obvious red flags.

So far Matlin’s main hires have been Eran Ganot(MBB), Nick Rolovich(FB), Robyn Ah Mow(WVB), Todd Graham(FB) and Rich Hill (Baseball) so it’s a mix of coaches with and without prior HC experience so who knows where he goes this time.

The new stadium probably won’t be ready till 2025 or 2026 from the way it’s been going with delays and just general slowness. I’m guessing 2022 teardown, 2023 rebuild, 2024 rebuild, 2025 finalize

UH football is okay now while the new digs are worked on.  Fans will be happier now that Graham is gone.

Baseball and volleyball look like good hires.  Especially baseball since quite frankly, they can only go up from here.

Another wild card I heard was that Brent Brennan from San Jose state might be interested since his love for the island lifestyle. Would definitely be a drop in pay but let’s see how much love he has in Hawaii and who knows maybe he wants to retire there.

3 hours ago, kalua pig said:

kenny from navy would be crazy.

Yes.  He's got the Navy job for life if he so chooses.  But it doesn't hurt to ask if he wants to come back home.

1 hour ago, couz808 said:

Another wild card I heard was that Brent Brennan from San Jose state might be interested since his love for the island lifestyle. Would definitely be a drop in pay but let’s see how much love he has in Hawaii and who knows maybe he wants to retire there.

lol that would be funny if there was to  intraconference coaching hirers in one year. Would also suck for Cordeiro as he would lose the head coach of the team he just transferred to. 

8 hours ago, ShoichiKUN808 said:

Will be interesting who replaces Graham...JJ, Miano, Stutz are probably going to be in the lead. Guessing guys like Mark Banker and Brian Smith will be entering the ring as well

Banker doesn't strike me as a great HC either.  

12 minutes ago, MetropolitanCowboy said:

I will add though, while this is a step in the right direction, we still need to fire Matlin. That’s what will really move this all forward. He’s a cancer.

Why is he running a drug ring in an art gallery again?

download (5).jpeg