Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

badfish

Todd “Dr. Pepper” Graham out at UH

37 minutes ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

Correct.  No buy-out confirmed by the university.  Here’s the resignation announcement from the UH Athletics website:

Todd Graham has resigned as head football coach at the University of Hawai'i. Graham was hired in January 2020 and had just completed the second year of a five-year contract.

"Todd informed me of his decision to resign," said UH Athletics Director David Matlin. "We enjoyed many successes under his leadership even as he faced pandemic conditions, the withdrawal of Aloha Stadium, and the prohibition of any fans for nearly all his time with us. Todd's tireless efforts as a coach have made a positive impact on many student-athletes. We have talked at length, and it is clear he has taken this action so that the football program can thrive moving forward."

The search for the new head coach begins immediately. Graham issued the following statement: 

I am grateful to have had the opportunity to serve as the Head Football Coach at the University of Hawai'i for the past two seasons. After much prayer and reflection with my family, I have come to the conclusion that I will step away as head coach of the Rainbow Warriors, with a very heavy heart. I want to give my thanks and appreciation to the players, staff and coaches who persevered through all the challenges of 2020 and 2021. It wasn't easy, but they all fought the good fight and we did things the right way. 

Our staff poured our hearts and souls into our players and truly made a difference in their lives. I could not have asked more of their commitment, work ethic and love for our players and football program. But it is clear to me that I must step away and do what is best for me and my family and my health. I honor, value and love all of my players and coaches and I wish you the very best. The University has not asked me to step down. I am leaving solely for my family and my health. We have laid a strong foundation for future success, and I will always be cheering you on!

May God Bless You, Coach Todd Graham

Graham resigned so aside from normal reimbursements and compensation earned, no additional monies will be owed to the coach. He was 11-11 in two seasons with the Rainbow Warriors and qualified for bowl games in both years, defeating Houston 28-14 in the New Mexico Bowl on Christmas Eve in 2020. Hawai'i also qualified for the EasyPost Hawaiʻi Bowl in 2021. This past season, the Rainbow Warriors also upset nationally ranked Fresno State and defeated Wyoming on the road for the first time since 1991.

My guess is they found credibility with the players claims and they threatened to fire him. Next on the chopping block should be the AD, no? 

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

9 minutes ago, trvitmvnz said:

I would love to have Stutz but the whole Vaccine thing may prevent him from being a consideration 

yeah i think JJ has a good chance of making a last comeback with someone like Timmy Chang or Brian Smith as his OC. Then building guys like Abe as well as other UH grads on the Defensive side

2 minutes ago, ridgeview2 said:

My guess is they found credibility with the players claims and they threatened to fire him. Next on the chopping block should be the AD, no? 

Doubtful IMHO.  Matlin will get some credit for having maneuvered Graham out the door without incurring any buyout expense.  I think it’s notable that Matlin made it a point to say in his statement that he’d “talked at length” with Graham who decided to resign so the football program can “thrive going forward.”  Basically that’s Matlin taking credit for convincing Graham to do the right thing.

1 hour ago, trvitmvnz said:

He resigned on his terms. Don't owe him nothing 

Well that’s good. 

Good Luck Bows. 

Fight On For Dear Old San Jose State;

Fight On For Victory!

We Are With You In Every Way.

No Matter What The Price May Be!

Onward For Sparta Noble And True,

Fight Hard In Everything You Do!

And So We'll Fight! (Rah!) Win! (Rah!)

March Onward Down the Field

And We Will Win The Day!

S...J...S...U,  S-J-S-U,  San Jose State!

1 hour ago, badfish said:

I was thinking this might happen.  His career and reputation was going to get beat up even more with next weeks Board of Regents meeting.  The guy that really should be shown the door is that Matlin character.  You just can't choose to protect a coach over players when so many players have come forward with dirt on Graham.  

Stamp.

Ukrainian postage stamp honoring Snake Island soldiers

48 minutes ago, ShoichiKUN808 said:

Will be interesting who replaces Graham...JJ, Miano, Stutz are probably going to be in the lead. Guessing guys like Mark Banker and Brian Smith will be entering the ring as well

46 minutes ago, trvitmvnz said:

I would love to have Stutz but the whole Vaccine thing may prevent him from being a consideration 

Stutz just got hired as OC at Dixie St.

2 hours ago, fanhood said:

So who are the legitimate  candidates?

I'd guess ones that have applied for the job the last few go around or have shown interest. For the most part, the pool will likely come from a former player or assistant of Hawaii. Would be surprised if the coach came from someone not mentioned below.

• June Jones (former player & still held in high regard with Hawaii fans as coach) - reportedly he has been reached out to by boosters about his interest 
  • Rich Miano (former player & long time assistant)- applied for the job that went to Rolo. Has been away from coaching doing more business sides of football (creator of the Polynesian Bowl)
  • Craig Stutzman (former player & assistant) - applied for the job before after Rolo left. The only thing withstanding is the President/BOR/AD's feelings regarding his lack of vaccination status.
  • Brian Smith (former player & assistant) - applied for the job before after Rolo left. He isn't as held in high regard to as Stutz although he doesn't have the cons of Stutzman outside of fb.
  • Brian Norwood (former player & assistant) - applied for the job the last couple go arounds. He's been stuck as an assistant for a long while at places like Baylor, Tulsa, UCLA, etc.
  • Mark Banker (former assistant) - applied for the job before. He's been known to get Hawaii HS kids to places he coached
  • Timmy Chang (former player) - he's more an outlier and hasn't applied before. Has shown interest in returning to coach the program if things turned that way
  • Abe Elimimian (former player & current assistant) - Unlikely but he has stuck around the program since Chow's final years
  • Victor Santa Cruz (former player & current assistant) - he's been around the program since Graham came over. He applied before when he was HC of D2 school Azusa Pacific.
  • Corey Batoon (local born & former assistant) - was part of Rolo’s staff and has been around at other programs doing well as a DC
  • Keith Bhonapha (former player & assistant) - unlikely but he is a former player of the program and is doing well for himself elsewhere
  • Chad Kauha’aha’a (local born) - unlikely but he has continued to do well elsewhere
  • Ikaika Malloe (local born & former assistant) - unlikely but has coached the program before and doing well elsewhere 
  • Robert Anae (local born & former assistant) - applied before and has been continuing doing well coaching elsewhere

8 minutes ago, ShoichiKUN808 said:

Why would you need an interim HC?

Fight On For Victory!

And We Will Win The Day!

1 hour ago, 4UNLV said:

They were going to bleed $$$ if he stayed, so it had to happen anyway. But if they don't owe him anything, even better. I bet @kalua pig paid him a visit with his one legged chicken.

this is how it went down today. i gave todd graham a $1millon hand shake and told him don’t let me see you on the rock again.

5 minutes ago, ShoichiKUN808 said:

during the couple days/weeks/months before a new HC is named. Someone needs to manage players, staff, etc. until then probably.

Well usually assistant coaches (or maybe a top assistant) do that but I’ve never heard of a school naming an interim HC this time of the year. 

Fight On For Victory!

And We Will Win The Day!