Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Billings

Nebraska to take back water used in Colorado

4 hours ago, Wyobraska said:

Agriculture needs to be held more accountable in this country for their water use.  

You like to eat don’t you ? 

The snake River plain in southern Idaho cranks out a hell of a lot of food. Dairy, wheat , sugar, barley, beef , potatoes. Irrigation has allowed us to use an ideal growing climate , and very fertile high desert soil. Society benefits a lot because of this 

1 minute ago, bornontheblue said:

The snake River plain in southern Idaho cranks out a hell of a lot of food. Dairy, wheat , sugar, barley, beef , potatoes. Irrigation has allowed us to use an ideal growing climate , and very fertile high desert soil. Society benefits a lot because of this 

There is a lot more that can be done to make ag more efficient with the water it uses. 

9 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

Central pivot irrigation is a terribly inefficient method for watering. Israel is able to grow a ton of food in the desert with some very efficient means.

8 minutes ago, HR_Poke said:

Central pivot irrigation is a terribly inefficient method for watering. Israel is able to grow a ton of food in the desert with some very efficient means.

Agreed. Farmers in southern Idaho are making the transition. 
the problem is there is no financial reward fir conserving water. Idaho is a water rights state. If you own water rights on a piece of land you pretty much get unlimited use. There is no reward forefficiency . I M nowhere near an expert on Colorado water law, but dint they sell portions of their  rights to other states ? 

41 minutes ago, Billings said:

Uhh if only it was that easy. It is actually brine with a lot of toxic chemicals

Brine is fine. The process to get the toxins out ain’t bad. They can use brine on roads. They need to check what other substances are in the brine. Uranium is sometimes in brine and selling that more than covers the cost to get it and the chemicals out. 

kat.jpg

10 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

Agreed. Farmers in southern Idaho are making the transition. 
the problem is there is no financial reward fir conserving water. Idaho is a water rights state. If you own water rights on a piece of land you pretty much get unlimited use. There is no reward forefficiency . I M nowhere near an expert on Colorado water law, but dint they sell portions of their  rights to other states ? 

Not sure on CO. WY got sued by Nebraska 3 times over the north plate river. And it was decided by the Supreme on how much allotment Nebraska gets.

4 minutes ago, HR_Poke said:

Not sure on CO. WY got sued by Nebraska 3 times over the north plate river. And it was decided by the Supreme on how much allotment Nebraska gets.

I’m pretty sure Idaho water laws are pretty tight concerning the rivers  that run through our state, state, mainly the snake River , which feeds into the Columbia in Washington. 

our laws do encourage overuse though 

8 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

I’m pretty sure Idaho water laws are pretty tight concerning the rivers  that run through our state, state, mainly the snake River , which feeds into the Columbia in Washington. 

Wyomings constitution says all water in the state belongs to Wyoming. And we have water rights based on prior appropriation.

40 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

Overuse is an understatement. The Suez Water Co has about 250K customers in Boise and Eagle. Just read the first little bit.

https://www.ktvb.com/article/news/local/suez-urging-its-customers-to-conserve-water-boise-eagle-irrigation-lawns/277-37d645ac-7b84-4a3e-92de-8cb7c6b0c80f

Here is a piece from CalMatters.org from 2016.

"On average, each Californian used 85 gallons of water at their homes every day in 2016. By national standards, that’s right about in the middle. In Idaho, each person on average uses 168 gallons a day, the national high."

Like I stated, Idaho has been losing small and medium size farms to development and urban sprawl but is using more water. Way too much water!! And state and local government lies about where the water is going because developers are in their back pockets. It's kind of ironic that 46 percent of the migration into the Boise area is coming from California. 🤔

27 minutes ago, HR_Poke said:

Wyomings constitution says all water in the state belongs to Wyoming. And we have water rights based on prior appropriation.

well but we also have agreements with the Colorado river pact and some on the platte ,as you mention, to let water flow through.  I know Montana has sued Wyo over the Tongue as well.

14 minutes ago, AztecAlien said:

Overuse is an understatement. The Suez Water Co has about 250K customers in Boise and Eagle. Just read the first little bit.

https://www.ktvb.com/article/news/local/suez-urging-its-customers-to-conserve-water-boise-eagle-irrigation-lawns/277-37d645ac-7b84-4a3e-92de-8cb7c6b0c80f

Here is a piece from CalMatters.org from 2016.

"On average, each Californian used 85 gallons of water at their homes every day in 2016. By national standards, that’s right about in the middle. In Idaho, each person on average uses 168 gallons a day, the national high."

Like I stated, Idaho has been losing small and medium size farms to development and urban sprawl but is using more water. Way too much water!! And state and local government lies about where the water is going because developers are in their back pockets.  

The farms we are losing to urban sprawl around the Boise area are insignificant and immaterial  to the total farmland In Idaho. The snake River plain is a huge area, that churns out a ton of food, probably not near as much as the Central Valley in California though. 

I think those water usage stats may be misleading a hit though. We have a large ag economy and a small population . Homes don’t nearly use as much water as farms  so the numbers are skewed. California has huge urban areas to balance out the water usage per person . 

38 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

There are really two things though.  Your water rights in your individual states and then if you have any compacts or agreements with other states.  

The problem with the agreements on multi state agreements is that many of them were made in the 1920s and yet they are still followed today when there have been big changes to population and technology

10 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

The farms we are losing to urban sprawl around the Boise area are insignificant and immaterial  to the total farmland In Idaho. The snake River plain is a huge area, that churns out a ton of food, probably not near as much as the Central Valley in California though. 

I think those water usage stats may be misleading a hit though. We have a large ag economy and a small population . Homes don’t nearly use as much water as farms  so the numbers are skewed. California has huge urban areas to balance out the water usage per person . 

I agree Idaho does produce quite a bit of food. California produces about 25 percent of all food in the U.S. I added a little bit while you were typing. Don't you find it kind of ironic that 46 percent of people migrating to the Boise area are from California and there is a water problem?  

6 minutes ago, AztecAlien said:

I agree Idaho does produce quite a bit of food. California produces about 25 percent of all food in the U.S. I added a little bit while you were typing. Don't you find it kind of ironic that 46 percent of people migrating to the Boise area are from California and there is a water problem?  

I would think that more people moving to Idaho would reduce our water used per person. Total water usage may go up though