Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Swoll Cracker

Today in MWC Hoops - 1/12/22 - USU@CSU, BSU@Nevada - WHO YA’ GOT?

4 hours ago, KingBronco said:

I went back and watched it again. It looked to me like the shot clock on the backboard did go to 0 before Akot's shot was off his fingertips...it was razor close, but I think based off that look the refs made a correct call. I don't think the replays FS1 showed were correctly synched with the shot clock. 

This.  The FS1 graphic didn't seem to match the clock on the court.  And it's unfortunate that the shot-clock expiration lights weren't working - that usually makes it really obvious.

19 minutes ago, Pelado said:

This.  The FS1 graphic didn't seem to match the clock on the court.  And it's unfortunate that the shot-clock expiration lights weren't working - that usually makes it really obvious.

It was really close.   They had a side angle but it didn't have the clock. Based on it originally being called good I did not see any conclusive evidence to overturn. Glad it was not the difference in the game. 

1 hour ago, Swoll Cracker said:

The biggest shocker to me is how much Coleman has fallen off from his freshman year. I think he can be a very good MWC player. I’m not convinced that Foster and Huseinovic will ever be anything more than 10-minute role players in the MWC. Huseinovic cant guard his own shadow and Foster is a walking turnover.

Yeah I thought Coleman would be better this year. He's been below average this year. 

1 hour ago, nvspuds said:

I don't "know" if any of those guys will leave..I think it is possible some will..The Pack lost Meeks, Milling and Robinson to the transfer portal last summer..

There is a good player redshirting this season, Nick Davidson, 6'8 forward.

I thought Meeks was a really solid player. Losing him hurt you guys quite a bit IMO.

47 minutes ago, Jalex4141 said:

It was really close.   They had a side angle but it didn't have the clock. Based on it originally being called good I did not see any conclusive evidence to overturn. Glad it was not the difference in the game. 

It was very close.  At first I thought he got the shot off in time, but I think @KingBronco is right that it was still on his fingertip(s) when the shot clock expired.  I would have preferred a closer look with the shot clock in frame, but oh well.

Just now, nvspuds said:

Maybe on offense but he was a very limited defender with bad knees..

True, but he did have a good stroke from 3 and gave you a stretch 4 threat that you don't really have this year (I know Baker jacks up some 3's but doesn't seem to be that good of a shooter from what I've seen). Having Meeks opened up the paint more allowing Sherfield more room to maneuver on drives...at least that's how it seemed to me.

8 minutes ago, KingBronco said:

True, but he did have a good stroke from 3 and gave you a stretch 4 threat that you don't really have this year (I know Baker jacks up some 3's but doesn't seem to be that good of a shooter from what I've seen). Having Meeks opened up the paint more allowing Sherfield more room to maneuver on drives...at least that's how it seemed to me.

Baker doesn't 'jack' up 3's..He has only shot 31 so far this season.  He has made 14 for a 45 percent success rate..By far the best on the team and much better than Meeks, who hit 35 % last season and 33 %  this season for USF.

Baker is hitting 53% of his shots inside the arc.  Meeks hit 47 % last season.

It was not an either/or situation with Meeks..He chose to leave for a variety of reasons.

However, he is simply not the player Baker is..Will is getting the first extended minutes of his college career and is getting better..Meeks is a junior who hasn't improved much..I would take Baker over Meeks every day..

The Pack is getting excellent work out of Sherfield, Cambridge, Washington and Baker..None of them are the problem.

Hymes has been injured most of the year and is just trying to get back.

The other players are very inconsistent..

11 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Where have any of our fans implied that lol?

9 hours ago, kingpotato said:

I've always respected and welcomed your opinion. You just seem overly down on Boise this year. Even in this thread when you wanted both teams to lose. One is your hated rival and the other is lil ol Boise State basketball. 

I like the trajectory of this team, have growing optimistim, and am the resident Boise basketball optimist on this and every board... but, come on, where has any, let alone "some", crowned this team "Champs"? I've not seen that posted anywhere. Hell, go to the Boise board and you'd think Boise has never finished top half of this conference. You act like Boise fans are acting like UNLV basketball fans. That sounds like a jab, but I know you are an avid reader of this board and know what I mean. 

This team has qualities that are foreign to Boise fans. That's kinda fun and new. That's about it. I did have the audacity to say that I'd bet they are top 4, not even stated they would... just that would be my bet... which 9 other conference teams fans would predict. 

Haha, @Bob threw a strike, I just hit it, lol.

Didn't mean to offend Boise fans being high on your team in your game threads. Your team did look good last night.

And no, it didn't even hurt.

1 minute ago, 4UNLV said:

Didn't mean to offend Boise fans being high on your team in your game threads. Your team did look good last night.

You know I love you, but I just have not seen any Boise fan be cocky about our team this year.  Last year?  Sure.  This year?  I have seen like a few think top 4 or even 3 is likely but not a single one on this board has said we are going to win the conference lol.  The most optimistic I have seen here or elsewhere is hoping we can sneak into the dance as a third MWC team.  

I was impressed as hell with Boise last night. For the first time since I can remember (against Nevada anyway) it played athletic and had the energy to match.

I thought Washington was going to be really solid this year. He is not playing well and Hymes injury sucks. Nevada is not nearly the team I thought it had a chance to be. 

15 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

Nah, it's just not like you. I appreciate your opinion of the team. We're not sold on them either. Gaining confidence, though. If Shaver can step up to be the guy and Max pulls his head outta his ass and can hit some shots, I'd feel really good about this team. That's not very much to hope for. Very attainable. 

22 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

Nah, it's just not like you. I appreciate your opinion of the team. We're not sold on them either. Gaining confidence, though. If Shaver can step up to be the guy and Max pulls his head outta his ass and can hit some shots, I'd feel really good about this team. That's not very much to hope for. Very attainable. 

My excitement or rather curiosity comes from how different this team is in makeup than other Rice teams.  

1 hour ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

My excitement or rather curiosity comes from how different this team is in makeup than other Rice teams.  

Yeah, it's definitely very different. I think that's where the optimism/reluctancy comes from. It's a wait and see how it plays out. 

3 hours ago, kingpotato said:

Yeah, it's definitely very different. I think that's where the optimism/reluctancy comes from. It's a wait and see how it plays out. 

I’ll put our starting five against anyone in the MWC, but I’m still not sold on our depth. Playing 6 or 7 guys is going to take a toll especially with so many games jammed together because of Covid cancellations. We need to work Kuzmanovic and Milner into the lineup more. Even for 5 minutes would really help. I believe Milner did get some minutes against Nevada. 

8 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

I’ll put our starting five against anyone in the MWC, but I’m still not sold on our depth. Playing 6 or 7 guys is going to take a toll especially with so many games jammed together because of Covid cancellations. We need to work Kuzmanovic and Milner into the lineup more. Even for 5 minutes would really help. I believe Milner did get some minutes against Nevada. 

I agree on the starting five. I wouldn't swap straight across with any team in the conference. 

Regarding depth, it's not ideal, but Muss ruled the conference for a hot minute only playing 6 or 7 guys. CSU almost won the conference when they only had 7 guys in the team. Boise has been finishing strong with a short bench. I don't know if it's as big a deal as we're making it out to be. 

14 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

...but I just have not seen any Boise fan be cocky about our team this year.

I'm that guy but just afraid to say it with Jobu watching over.  Plus the schedule in the last two weeks is setting Leon up to have his typical meltdown. 

48 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

I'm that guy but just afraid to say it with Jobu watching over.  Plus the schedule in the last two weeks is setting Leon up to have his typical meltdown. 

While it has been common, it's not a given that Leon teams fade. The year he won the conference they started 0-3 in conference and finished 14-1.

It does give some hope that this team has gotten better as the season progresses. It feels like their best basketball is in front of them. 

1 hour ago, kingpotato said:

While it has been common, it's not a given that Leon teams fade. The year he won the conference they started 0-3 in conference and finished 14-1.

It does give some hope that this team has gotten better as the season progresses. It feels like their best basketball is in front of them. 

And then that pesky tourney happened. Don’t let yourself be fooled, Rice isn’t the guy to take you anywhere. I hope I get proven wrong because it’s fun when Boise is relevant in the tourney.

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

1 hour ago, madmartigan said:

And then that pesky tourney happened. Don’t let yourself be fooled, Rice isn’t the guy to take you anywhere. I hope I get proven wrong because it’s fun when Boise is relevant in the tourney.

Can't argue with that.   My only hope, and I still wouldn't bet a nickle on it,  is that the makeup of this team is different.   Leon Rice has always had an alpha offensive player who he leaned on far too much (IMO) and when it came to tourney time that guy wasn't just tired, he was a marked man, Good coaches shut those guys down or let them have theirs but no one else got any.   

No real alpha this year but 5 really good starters at their spots and a defensive focus that I've never seen with a Rice team.  So, maybe....