Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bronco7454

Mountain West Softball 2022

And U.N.LV. follows that win up with another win (1-0) over Central Arkansas to make it to the championship match of the National Invitational Softball tournament.   Their opponent in tomorrow's game will be Baylor - who narrowly defeated fellow Big 12 school Kansas 5-4 in a come-from-behind win earlier today.   The championship game between U.N.L.V. and Baylor is scheduled to begin at 11 a.m. MT tomorrow (Thursday).

Now that the Mountain West NCAA softball season is over I thought I'd take a look at which players on all nine of the MWC softball teams who were Seniors in 2022 have the option to return for the 2023 season (if they choose to do so and their team wants them to return).  This is what I came up with.  CORRECTIONS ARE WELCOME

2022 MWC Softball players who have the option to return for 2023

Boise State - 1. Eliyah Flores - Starting Shortstop - 2. Sara Johnson - Starting pitcher - 3. India Kelly  - Outfielder (Kelly and Johnson both graduated from Boise State this spring)

Colorado State - 1. Kaitlyn Cook - Starting 3B - 2. Brooke Polenz - Reserve infielder

Fresno State - 1. Vanessa Hernandez - 1st Base - 2. Danielle Lung - Pitcher - 3. Bailey Clifton - Utility

Nevada - NONE

New Mexico - 1. Reyan Tuck - Starting 1B - 2. Peyton Robinson - Starting Left Fielder - 3. Janae Cameron - Reserve Catcher - 4. Alexis Vigil - Reserve Infielder - 5. Emma Guindon - Starting Pitcher

San Diego State - 1. Jessica Cordola - Infielder - 2. Nichole Seiss - Utility

San Jose State - 1. Alyssa Graham - Starting Third Base - 2. Jenessa Uleque - Starting Pitcher/Outfielder - 3. Jessica Giacoma - Starting 2nd Base - 4. Arianna Miranda - Utility (D.N.P. in 2021)

U.N.L.V. - 1. Jenny Bressler - Starting Pitcher - 2. Lauryn Barker - Starting 3B - 3. Denise Armendariz - Starting Right Field - 4. Julie Volmer - Starting Catcher

Utah State - 1. Kapri Toone - Starting Pitcher - 2. Lexie Orozco - Starting Shortstop - 3. Gabriel Jimenez - Starting Catcher -4. Sydnee Smith - Starting Right Field/Catcher - 5. Emily Tidd - Reserve Outfielder - 6. Bri Lerma - Utility 

New Mexico names new head softball coach today (June 4, 2022)

https://golobos.com/news/2022/06/04/nicole-dickson-named-new-mexico-softball-head-coach/#staffhttps://golobos.com/sports/softball/roster/season/2021-22/

The new head softball coach for New Mexico is replacing the former head softball coach Paula Congleton - whose contract was not renewed last month (May 2022). Congleton had been UNM's head softball coach for five seasons.

Boise State's Kelsey Hall (previously played at Fresno State) was named the NATIONAL Comeback Player of the Year by Extra Inning Softball after suffering an ACL injury after only 3 games in 2021 while at Fresno State and then having the terrific season she had in 2022 at Boise State.

FWC7zXqUUAA6M3D.jpg

Nevada picked up a transfer, Haley Painter from FSU.  Graduated H.S. in '21.  SS batted .544 in H.S.  I couldn't find any stats at FSU but Fresno has an All Conference SS that might be the best player on the team maybe that kept Haley on the bench?  Nevada was very young last year with 3 Fr & 3 So starting.  Looks like Garcia is recruiting well, never know but the kids coming in have gawdy HS #s.  It all depends on how good the 2 transfer pitchers coming in turn out to be.  But I think Nevada should be moving up in the standings over the next few years.    

Boise State has released their 2023 Softball team roster (without any of the incoming Frosh players as they are not enrolled yet).  Of the 25 players on the 2022 Boise State softball roster only 15 are on the 2023 roster, i.e., 10 departures.  The ones in Bold Print here are either somewhat surprising (to me) or VERY surprising.

# 1. Alison Seng - 2022 5th year Senior - Infielder (1st base) - Graduated & out of eligibility

# 2. India Kelly - 2022 4th year Senior - Outfielder - Graduated - Had another year of eligibility remaining

# 4. Eliyah Flores - 2022 RS Senior - Shortstop - Chose not to return I guess  - even tho she had another year of eligibility remaining

# 9. Clarissa Moreno - 2022 Sophomore - Infielder - Seldom utilized player

# 14. Sara Johnson - 2022 4th year Senior - Pitcher - Had another year of eligibility remaining but chose to not return.  She had the best E.R.A. on the team in 2022.

# 15. Hailey Hayes - 2022 Sophomore - Catcher/Infielder - Was barely used in 2022 when she had more starts than anyone on the team at Catcher in 2021.  She also had the highest batting average on the team (.500 on 6 at bats) in 2022.   She entered the transfer portal and then signed to play at Purdue.

# 19. Hannah Bailey - 2022 5th year Senior - Pitcher - Graduated & out of eligibility

# 22. Kelsey Lalor - 2022 6th year Senior - Center fielder - Graduated & out of eligibility

# 27. Bella Rocco - 2022 Junior - Third base - Started 35 games in 2022 at 3rd base but rarely played toward the end of the 2021 season.  She was the starter at 3rd for 3 years.

# 29. Mik Anthony - 2022 RS Freshman - Infielder - She did not play at all in 2022 (originally committed to U.N.L.V. I believe)

Boise State adds another transfer pitcher.  Only this one is the younger sister of Boise State's pitching coach.  That being Lindsey Walljasper - younger sister of Allie Walljasper.  Lindsey started her collegiate softball pitching playing for the University of Nebraska in 2019 and 2020 and then transferred to U.N.C. Charlotte and played there in 2021 and 2022.  She has one more year of eligibility remaining and chose to play with her older sister as her pitching coach.  Lindsey is also a solid utility player when she's not pitching and a decent hitter at the plate.  She batted .285 in 2022 in 123 at bats with 9 doubles and 5 HR's.  Lindsey played in 20 games in Right Field in 2022 for Charlotte and 14 games as the DP/DH as well as 2 games in Left Field and 1 game as Catcher.  Oh and she's 6' 0" tall.

https://extrainningsoftball.com/lindsey-walljasper-transferring-to-boise-state/

This means Boise State has six pitchers on their roster for the 2023 season but only two of the six pitched more than 3.1 innings in 2022.  And only one of the six is a lefty.  That being True Freshman Kasey Aguinaga.

1. Taylor Caudill - 2023 Junior - Pitched 109 innings for Boise State in 2022

2. Lindsey Walljasper - 2023 Senior - Pitched 153.2 innings for Charlotte in 2022

3. Brook Thompson - 2023 Sophomore - Pitched 3.1 innings for Boise State in 2022

4. Grace Kimball - 2023 Junior - Pitched 3.1 innings for Boise State in 2022

5. Kasey Aguinaga - 2023 True Freshman

6. Amber Thornton - 2023 True Freshman

@Swoll Cracker, @utenation, @HawaiiMongoose

UCSB has hired Jo Evans as their next head softball coach.  She leaves Texas A&M after 26 years as her contract was not renewed. Since she also had stints at CSU and Utah (granted, way back when), it felt appropriate to post here.

https://ucsbgauchos.com/sports/w-softbl/2022-23/releases/20220804mm201f

Evans' first head coaching gig was CSU from 1986-1989.  She then went to Utah, her alma mater, from 1990-1996.  The Utes reached the WCWS in 1991 and 1994.  Mongoose, Swoll, you think she has anything left in the tank?  

On 8/11/2022 at 12:35 PM, jdgaucho said:

UCSB has hired Jo Evans as their next head softball coach.  She leaves Texas A&M after 26 years as her contract was not renewed. Since she also had stints at CSU and Utah (granted, way back when), it felt appropriate to post here.

Evans' first head coaching gig was CSU from 1986-1989.  She then went to Utah, her alma mater, from 1990-1996.  The Utes reached the WCWS in 1991 and 1994.  Mongoose, Swoll, you think she has anything left in the tank?  

I’m entering my 40th year in the workforce and I’d like to think I still have something left in the tank, LOL.  So even though I know nothing about her, my answer is absolutely!

On 8/11/2022 at 4:35 PM, jdgaucho said:

I have No clue on this one.

On 8/11/2022 at 4:35 PM, jdgaucho said:

If UCSB was a member of the Mountain West Conference then - and only then - would this be relevant here.

On 8/12/2022 at 1:56 PM, Bronco7454 said:

If UCSB was a member of the Mountain West Conference then - and only then - would this be relevant here.

Thankfully, CSU is a member of the Mountain West. Which is why I posted it here.  Granted, her last season with the Rams was back in 1989 before there was even an MWC.    

Hope we don't drag your RPI down in 2023 like we did in 2022.

Final NCAA softball R.P.I. rankings for 2022 (as of 6/15/2022) for Mountain West teams

# 43 - Boise State - Mountain West - 40-10

# 45 - San Diego State - Mountain West - 39-16

# 63 - U.N.L.V. - Mountain West - 43-15

# 148 - Utah State - Mountain West - 28-28

# 151 - New Mexico - Mountain West - 26-27

# 165 - Fresno State - Mountain West - 19-36

# 170 - Colorado State - Mountain West - 18-28

# 175 - San Jose State - Mountain West - 22-29

# 208 - Nevada - Mountain West - 17-35

Total number of Division I NCAA softball teams = 301