Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bronco7454

Mountain West Softball 2022

On 5/12/2022 at 12:33 PM, soupslam1 said:

Any feel on which MWC teams will make the softball big Dance? 

SUDS's magic number to win the 'ship is 1 going into their series @ the University of NeverMind. IOW, they're pretty much a lock.

You guys have an outside chance of an ALB, if you can sweep CSU.

UNLV played itself out of whatever chances it had left last Saturday.

ezgif-5-959914ff2250.gif.f0cc4fc558f5a154dc6ff5904c80bf34.gif

Boise State's softball team is leading the MWC in all of the following statistical categories:

HOME RUNS - 71 - UNLV is 2nd with 59 home runs and has played 2 more games than Boise State this season

RUNS - 329 - UNLV is 2nd with 307 runs and again they have played 2 more games than Boise State this season

DOUBLES - 87 - Utah State is 2nd with 66 doubles and they have played 6 more games this season than Boise State

RUNS BATTED IN - 304 - UNLV is 2nd with 297 RBI's and again they have played 2 more games than Boise State

TOTAL BASES - 733 - UNLV is 2nd with 674 total bases and they've played 2 more games

SLUGGING PERCENTAGE - .555 - UNLV is 2nd with a Slugging % of .513

HIT BY PITCHES - 52 - UNLV is again 2nd with 43

FIELDING PERCENTAGE - 0.983 - UNLV is again 2nd with 0.976

FEWEST ERRORS - 23 - UNLV is again 2nd with 32

FEWEST RUNS ALLOWED - 129 - San Diego State is 2nd with 132

Wow - are all softball game webcasts from Colorado State this bad?   Video didn't begin until the 4th batter.  The video is choppy (to say the least) and there are no announcers.  Or if there are they are being VERY quiet.  About the only thing you can hear is LOTS of wind noise and some noise from the players.

Turns out the video I was getting was from YESTERDAY's game (yet I clicked on today's game).  The video for today's game STILL hasn't started and the game is in the top of the second inning according to the live scoring.  Bang up job there CSU.

On 5/13/2022 at 4:37 PM, Bronco7454 said:

Apparently my complaints were heard as the video has NOW begun in the bottom of the second inning.   Great job CSU.  All that was not telecast was the first 1 1/2 inning and the first five runs of the game.

The CSU softball facility looks like a dump. I’ve seen better high school fields. And cant they afford audio and an announcer to call the game? They must have spent all their money on the football stadium. 

On 5/13/2022 at 6:28 PM, soupslam1 said:

The CSU softball facility looks like a dump. I’ve seen better high school fields. And cant they afford audio and an announcer to call the game? They must have spent all their money on the football stadium. 

A few years back the team basically went on strike over their sub par facilities, and the "Don't Give a Sh't" attitude they get from the AD. There's a Title IX suit just begging to be filed for sure

ezgif-5-959914ff2250.gif.f0cc4fc558f5a154dc6ff5904c80bf34.gif

On 5/13/2022 at 7:28 PM, soupslam1 said:

I've been impressed this year with quite a few of the MWC schools as it pertains to their coverage of their softball games.  Particularly Utah State and San Diego State.   But Colorado State is very clearly at the bottom of the barrel.  Maybe someone should alert them and tell them that it is 2022 - not 1982.

And in answer to your questions.........................apparently NO (they can't afford audio and an announcer to call the game).   There was audio tho.  I could hear the Public Address woman calling out who was coming to bat and changes in the lineup etc.   But there were no announcers at all.

San Diego State is guaranteed to be the 2022 Mountain West Softball champions with a conference record of 20-3 with just one game to go.  Boise State is guaranteed to finish in 2nd place in the MWC softball standings this year (after UNLV lost again yesterday) with a MWC record of 18-5 with one game left to go.   U.N.L.V. will finish the season in 3rd place in the MWC softball standings with a MWC record of 16-7 with one game left.  Utah State will finish in 4th place in the MWC softball standings with a record of 12-11 with one game left to go.

1. San Diego State - 20-3

2. Boise State - 18-5

3. U.N.L.V. - 16-7

4. Utah State - 12-11

I'm biased of course but also pretty impressed with the job that the completely new Boise State softball coaching staff has done this year - using - in large part - the same players that were on the team for the 2021 season.  Quite a difference from last season to this season IMO.  I HOPE that Boise State has the sense to increase the salaries for all of the Boise State softball coaches.  They definitely deserve it.

San Diego State loses 3-4 to New Mexico to end their regular season play with a MWC record of 20-4.  New Mexico ends their MWC record at 6-18.

Boise State mercy-ruled Colorado State 12-0 in five innings to end their regular season play with a MWC record of 19-5.  CSU ended their MWC record at 9-15.

U.N.L.V. is leading 5-1 @ Fresno State in the top of the fifth inning.  If U.N.L.V. wins today their regular season MWC record will be 17-7. If U.N.L.V. wins this game FSU's MWC record will be 10-14.

Utah State beat San Jose State in Logan, UT, earlier today 6-5 to finish their regular season with a 13-11 MWC record.  San Jose State's MWC record this season ends at 7-17.

Nevada ended their MWC softball season at 7-17 last weekend.

The field for the 2022 NCAA Division I Softball Championship Tournament is scheduled to be announced on Sunday, May 15. 

The selection show is scheduled to start at 7 p.m. ET/6 p.m. CT/5 p.m. MT.   It will be televised on ESPN 2.

An NCAA selection committee will choose 64 teams for the 2022 NCAA Tournament. There are 32 teams that are automatic qualifiers as conference champions and 32 other teams will be selected as at-large teams.

On 5/15/2022 at 6:02 PM, soupslam1 said:

Looks like the Aztecs the conference champs are the only team in the field. Boise State with a record of 40-10 didn’t make the field. I’m sure they got edged out by the fifth place team in the Big Ten or SEC. 

It's rough for conferences outside the SEC, Big XII and Pac. The two big snubs are BYU and UConn.

BYU was 42-10 and co-champs of the WCC.  No at-large bid.

UConn was Big East champs and 38-18 overall (20-4).  No at-large bid.

Teams in the NCAA softball tournament for 2022 who Boise State beat:

McNeese State - Boise State beat McNeese State three straight times by scores of 4-1, 7-4 and 4-1

Stanford - Boise State beat Stanford 7-3

San Diego State - Boise State beat SDSU 6-2 and then lost two straight games by ONE run to SDSU @ SDSU by identical 3-2 scores.

It's pretty difficult for me to understand how the selection committee didn't include Boise State but it is what it is.   Are there really 32 at large NCAA softball teams who better qualified than Boise State this year?  I seriously doubt that.