Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

2022 Space thread.

00-0aWysEZUU8EI2QgLh_Ii8El9O6hE7hpGDXhbVCqvgC_5i0QY-_UvPFUp50DwKdosKwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1661373986

Hey guys. Not sure if it’s been mentioned already but the live DART mission to change the trajectory of an asteroid is on this afternoon at 4 PM MST on the Science Channel. 

Very interesting concept. I’d like to see this tech developed to the point of a machine being able to push/ move asteroids away without just blowing up on impact. 

On 9/26/2022 at 5:34 PM, DestinFlPackfan said:

This^^^^ . It is extremely important. 

We have had a crazy number of asteroids come close the past few months that we had no idea existed until a few days prior.

NEO planetary defense is very important and not talked about enough.  

On 9/26/2022 at 8:31 PM, thelawlorfaithful said:

image.gif.93afc3691c175cf605c6e161d0a9c8da.gif

The guidance system on this craft stole the show. Like I said earlier, I hope we see an army of robots searching out and pushing away threats.  Reusable is my hope.  We’ve been playing with fire far too long crossing our fingers nothing hits us when logic and history say otherwise. 

Tons of data to recover on the Dart impact but I’m pretty sure we did the right math on trajectory change. Proof is in the pudding.

Newton’s 3rd Law?

BTW, all countries that have any resources need to contribute to this going forward. 

Sounds like there was plenty of international input for the mission but I think we picked up the bar tab on this. I could be wrong and I hope I’m wrong. 

I know the ESA has some follow up missions planned, so that part is good.

On 9/26/2022 at 9:32 PM, utenation said:

BTW, all countries that have any resources need to contribute to this going forward. 

Sounds like there was plenty of international input for the mission but I think we picked up the bar tab on this. I could be wrong and I hope I’m wrong. 

I know the ESA has some follow up missions planned, so that part is good.

You are not wrong, we paid for it.  A purely NASA mission.

What we really need other countries to help invest in is the detection of these NEOs.  Too many times in recent months we have had asteroids whiz past us that we did not even know existed until days or even hours before.  If one of those was set to collide with our planet, there would have been no time to do anything about it, they were all city busters at a minimum and one was a large country buster.