Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

scounty

Question for the Californians. Population change.

Looks like Cali lost 300k in the last 18 or so months.

Have you noticed it? Do you welcome a decline in population because it was too crowded to begin with?

Idaho picked of 60k people in the same time frame. We feel it every day.

If you've had neighbors or friends that have moved, where are they going? 

Edit: sorry, can we move this to the non sports forum since it isn't sports related.

California lost less than 1% of their population. Meanwhile Idaho gained what 4%. So yes Idaho is probably feeling it more.

Nothing has changed in California yet. I am assuming some changes will be felt in the next few years as a lot of those moving are people that can afford to move (ie have money) or are forced out (ie  business owner that needs to go to a more friendly business state) so our tax revenue will probably be hit.

I really think 5%+ have to move before there could be any hope for positive benefits such as the ridiculous housing market (which was ridiculous even before COVID) simmering down. 

17 minutes ago, scounty said:

Have you noticed it? Do you welcome a decline in population because it was too crowded to begin with?

Edit: sorry, can we move this to the non sports forum since it isn't sports related.

Not nearly enough have left the state. People who enjoy telling Californians that people are leaving this state is not the ownage they think it is. I have a few friends who moved to Texas and one moved to New Hampshire. 

Alan Tudyk Dancing GIF by DOOM PATROL

3 minutes ago, thedude15 said:

California lost less than 1% of their population. Meanwhile Idaho gained what 4%. So yes Idaho is probably feeling it more.

Nothing has changed in California yet. I am assuming some changes will be felt in the next few years as a lot of those moving are people that can afford to move (ie have money) or are forced out (ie  business owner that needs to go to a more friendly business state) so our tax revenue will probably be hit.

I really think 5%+ have to move before there could be any hope for positive benefits such as the ridiculous housing market (which was ridiculous even before COVID) simmering down. 

In looking at recent population stats, the majority of the population loss is coming from rural eastern counties. It hasn’t been noticeable as yet in urban areas. Rents are still sky high. In the long term it is likely making the state even more liberal. The people leaving tend to be from very red counties.

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

1 hour ago, scounty said:

1. Looks like Cali lost 300k in the last 18 or so months.

2. Have you noticed it? Do you welcome a decline in population because it was too crowded to begin with?

3. If you've had neighbors or friends that have moved, where are they going? 

1. Just an FYI. Oregonians immediately know non-Oregonians because they pronounce the state "Oregahn" rather that "Oregun." Similarly, Californians immediately recognize non-Californians by hearing them call the state "Cali" because no Californians do so.

2. California is indeed too crowded; MUCH too crowded. There was an article in the L.A. Times last week about all the Californians who have moved to Tennessee, particularly Nashville. I thought it was only right-wingers like Ben Shapiro who did that but the article quoted two lifelong Democrats who did so because of the much lower cost of living and because they love country western music. Each followed friends to "Nashvul" (sorry, couldn't help myself). Each also said they hope Tennessee eventually turns into a purple state.

3. Arizona and Utah. Cost of living and politics were the main reasons. (Each is a Republican and even though I consider myself to be a liberal, the far-left attitudes about "criminal justice" in our state sometimes makes ME want to scream.)

Your thread should be moved to the non-sports forum but your questions are good ones.

My wife is still working but when she retires in a couple years, we will be taking a long look at moving to somewhere in the Carolinas.. Milder winters, lots of water, lower prices in housing etc..In addition I have two of my children living on the East Coast.  I am not a partisan either way so politics play no role in my thinking..I grew up in the desert.  Might be nice to spend my reclining years in a different clime..

The only thing wrong with California is that too damn many people live here and it causes resource scarcity and therefore higher costs. I don’t mind paying a premium to live in a place with beautiful weather, proximity to everything you could possibly want to do, legal weed, etc. etc. etc. However, we are currently at a saturation point. 300k is nothing. We need a lot more to leave.

300k in cali is a very small amount. Wonder what the % change is relative to other states. 

As an aside my family just moved to the East Coast from the bay area. Strictly job related, not related to the economy or anything

San Jose State
Announced: 85,235
Scanned: 33,892
Percentage: 39.8%
Actual Attendance Per Game: 5,648

1 hour ago, scounty said:

A number in our areas are moving. Mostly retired far right Republicans.   Idaho and Tennessee are popular destinations.  Don’t really care if they leave.  Helps reduce overcrowding. 

I haven't noticed it, but I heard it mentioned on KFI 640 (LA radio). If some people want to leave the Golden State, I say go for it. Anything to free up some parking spaces. 

Gonna be adding a +2 to Cali's population in July. Moving there this summer :unsure:

Colorado-State-RB.gif http://s3.amazonaws.com/newscloud-production/newscloudcms/2013/09/5223f4947e85e85e0b00161e/photos/cam4476904/gallery.jpg?1378094250

7 minutes ago, LoFasZz said:

Gonna be adding a +2 to Cali's population in July. Moving there this summer :unsure:

California will become more #shredded come July. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

2 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

California will become more #shredded come July. 

:rock:

Colorado-State-RB.gif http://s3.amazonaws.com/newscloud-production/newscloudcms/2013/09/5223f4947e85e85e0b00161e/photos/cam4476904/gallery.jpg?1378094250

51 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

My wife is still working but when she retires in a couple years, we will be taking a long look at moving to somewhere in the Carolinas.. Milder winters, lots of water, lower prices in housing etc..In addition I have two of my children living on the East Coast.  I am not a partisan either way so politics play no role in my thinking..I grew up in the desert.  Might be nice to spend my reclining years in a different clime..

Just a heads up. I have moved in several states and countries. Moving from a dry climate like California or Idaho to a place like North Carolina and Tennessee is gonna be Hell to your immune system. The pollen, the humidity, it will literally kill you. Prepare to get a lot of sore throats, the flu, runny nose, canker sores on your mouth, and colds. The closer you live to the mountains, the more +++++ed up it will be. 

Moving to Idaho from Tennessee actually improved my immune system and I'm healthier. I went the first six years after the move before I got more than a 24 hour cold.

I am Halfmanhalfbronco's bitch.