Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tailingpermit

Is Notre Dame Cursed?

2 minutes ago, tailingpermit said:

I think he’s chasing a national championship, it’s all or nothing.  If he fails and gets fired, I think he retires.   

Maybe he does think he has an easier chance in the SEC than with Notre Dame that would be a gamble to play though

18 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

Maybe he does think he has an easier chance in the SEC than with Notre Dame that would be a gamble to play though

I don't think so.  At LSU he is in a better recruiting area, kids want to play in the SEC, and the admission standards aren't as high as ND.  

If I were a coach I would choose LSU all day over ND.

6 hours ago, tailingpermit said:

We already know they’re the most overrated football team in America, but are they cursed as well?

I believe it’s now 26 years without a major bowl win.  

First of all, they don’t pay their coaches worth a crap for a P5, especially for a supposed higher level P5. I think that’s a big problem. They get great talent but don’t develop it well enough and in a team concept.

I think some of them get really cocky and believe that lucky clover shit and then think sugar filled Lucky Charms cereal is a great pre-game meal. 

The last issue: they need new helmets. It may not be the PC thing in 2022 in terms of player safety, but if they’d go back to leather helmets, they’d win big and all the time. These modern helmets have been doing nothing but hold them back. Let’s see if their new staff has the courage to make the change….I doubt it. They don’t make old school coach winners anymore. 

kat.jpg

1 hour ago, Nevada Convert said:

First of all, they don’t pay their coaches worth a crap for a P5, especially for a supposed higher level P5. I think that’s a big problem. They get great talent but don’t develop it well enough and in a team concept.

I think some of them get really cocky and believe that lucky clover shit and then think sugar filled Lucky Charms cereal is a great pre-game meal. 

The last issue: they need new helmets. It may not be the PC thing in 2022 in terms of player safety, but if they’d go back to leather helmets, they’d win big and all the time. These modern helmets have been doing nothing but hold them back. Let’s see if their new staff has the courage to make the change….I doubt it. They don’t make old school coach winners anymore. 

Please show me evidence, this is a private school and all I could find…

“But the federal disclosure doesn’t require the university to detail at least two sources of compensation for football coach Brian Kelly, which likely means he had the highest income of any coach during the year ending June 30, 2019.

The university reported it made payments to Kelly’s limited liability company, but were excluded because they’re not required as part of the IRS Form 990 disclosure. As in past years, the accountants also noted that Kelly “is permitted to receive compensation from external sources with prior written approval from the university.” Since the university is not a party to those agreements —- for example, between Kelly and Under Armour — and the coach doesn’t provide any services to the university because of those agreements, they don’t have to be included in this document.”

I believe Kelly left for the opportunity to win a national championship and then retire.  

1 hour ago, thespywhozaggedme said:

Think you meant road games, right?

I don’t think he’s correct on that, but I believe Notre Dame played a home game at Soldier Field, and I believe they’re playing Wisconsin in Ireland next year.   

2 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

Is it a gamble when you’re already cash rich and an SEC program is throwing even more money at you?

Almost every new coach at LSU has won a national championship.   

18 minutes ago, tailingpermit said:

Please show me evidence, this is a private school and all I could find…

“But the federal disclosure doesn’t require the university to detail at least two sources of compensation for football coach Brian Kelly, which likely means he had the highest income of any coach during the year ending June 30, 2019.

The university reported it made payments to Kelly’s limited liability company, but were excluded because they’re not required as part of the IRS Form 990 disclosure. As in past years, the accountants also noted that Kelly “is permitted to receive compensation from external sources with prior written approval from the university.” Since the university is not a party to those agreements —- for example, between Kelly and Under Armour — and the coach doesn’t provide any services to the university because of those agreements, they don’t have to be included in this document.”

I believe Kelly left for the opportunity to win a national championship and then retire.  

Scroll down to #22.  The USA Today list for 2021 has him at $2.7 mil. His first year there it was like $1.4 mil. 

https://247sports.com/ContentGallery/Highest-paid-college-football-coaches-ranked-154935994/#154935994_19

kat.jpg

3 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

Scroll down to #22.  The USA Today list for 2021 has him at $2.7 mil. His first year there it was like $1.4 mil. 

https://247sports.com/ContentGallery/Highest-paid-college-football-coaches-ranked-154935994/#154935994_19

Thank you for that, I had no idea he was that under paid.  

3 hours ago, Wyobraska said:

I don't think so.  At LSU he is in a better recruiting area, kids want to play in the SEC, and the admission standards aren't as high as ND.  

I do especially when you HAVE TO win a national championship, nothing else matters if he doesn't do it quickly and remain in that position he will be shown the door as the other coaches have. He has a more stable position at Notre Dame than at LSU,

1 hour ago, tailingpermit said:

Is it a gamble when you’re already cash rich and an SEC program is throwing even more money at you?

Almost every new coach at LSU has won a national championship.   

He has to win one and stay at the top and get to multiple ones otherwise he will be shown the door. If you are looking to coach for a while longer, I don't know with those expectations to where you CAN'T FAIL, that is a gamble heading to a job like that

9 hours ago, Wyobraska said:

The university admission standards don't mean crap in big time college football.  There might be a rare kid that Kelly couldn't get into ND that he could get into LSU, but the gap is somewhere between small and meaningless. 

When Rosen made his comments on the subject, somebody here linked  average football SAT scores in the PAC.  Stanford did have the highest, but it was somewhere around 1050.....or 400 points lower than the average Stanford student and 300 points lower than an average freshman at a mid-tier UC campus (Davis, Santa Barbara, Irvine).  During the unionization fight at Northwestern, their quarterback said that he would have never even sniffed admission to NW as a regular student.  The notion that ND can't compete because they can't take the kids that end up at Michigan, Ohio State or the SEC is nonsense.  They can't compete because they suck balls and kill their own kids.  

Notre Dame is what it is. In their current state, they’d win the PAC-12 and Big XII most years, and compete with Clemson in the ACC and the top of the Big Ten. But the SEC is swallowing up college football whole (and as a product, the rest of college athletics). The power goes through them, with a place at the table for the Big Ten, and there’s nothing Notre Dame, USC, or most any other non-SEC school can do about it.

4 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Notre Dame is what it is. In their current state, they’d win the PAC-12 and Big XII most years, and compete with Clemson in the ACC and the top of the Big Ten. But the SEC is swallowing up college football whole (and as a product, the rest of college athletics). The power goes through them, with a place at the table for the Big Ten, and there’s nothing Notre Dame, USC, or most any other non-SEC school can do about it.

Agree with most of that, but ND still gets their place at the table and were a prime driver behind the 12 team format that came out.  It was tailor made for the SEC (try and get 4 or 5 in every years) and Notre Dame (get in almost every year with home games in most years and still get a bye every single year by not having to play a conference championship game).  Conversely, the 8-team model most floated (5 P5 champs, 1 G5 champ, 2 at-large) severely limits ND's shot at getting in and really pressures them to join a league.

That's the BS about Notre Dame--the powers that be let them have a seat at the table equal to entire conferences.  College football doesn't need Notre Dame and will go on just fine without them just as it went on fine without the Ivies, without Chicago, without Fordham being powers.  Force them to join a conference or let them whither and die.