Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thelawlorfaithful

CFB Playoff Thread

57 minutes ago, Jimbo_Poke said:

Was Georgia sand bagging the conference championship?  This complaint is directed less at the championship game and more at the conference championship.  In other words if Georgia wasn't giving their all and not wanting to show their hand in the conference championship because hey even with a loss we are in, that is what I don't like.  I understand why Georgia would and it makes sense, but I don't like it.

College football,  even more so at the elite level, is an insanely violent game.  Georgia and Alabama are bitter rivals.  They didn't sandbag anything.  Alabama barely won that game.  Give or take  a couple key plays, and Alabama could have easily won the national championship as well.  Put it another way,  Georgia's path to the championship would have been even easier, not harder, had they won the SEC championship game.  For starters, they would have played the 4th seed.  And they showed it probably wouldn't have mattered anyway by dismantling the BiG champion Wolverines.  I get that people don't like the SEC, but come on.  They had the best teams, hands down. 

1 hour ago, Jimbo_Poke said:

Was Georgia sand bagging the conference championship?  This complaint is directed less at the championship game and more at the conference championship.  In other words if Georgia wasn't giving their all and not wanting to show their hand in the conference championship because hey even with a loss we are in, that is what I don't like.  I understand why Georgia would and it makes sense, but I don't like it.

I don't think Georgia did that at all.  I just don't see anyway that was possible.  There was also no guarantee that Georgia met Bama again in the playoffs.  

Coaches get bonuses a lot for conference titles, there are bragging rights, there are recruiting ramifications to all of this.  

I think there is zero chance that happened or ever will happen. 

2 hours ago, alum93 said:

College football,  even more so at the elite level, is an insanely violent game.  Georgia and Alabama are bitter rivals.  They didn't sandbag anything.  Alabama barely won that game.  Give or take  a couple key plays, and Alabama could have easily won the national championship as well.  Put it another way,  Georgia's path to the championship would have been even easier, not harder, had they won the SEC championship game.  For starters, they would have played the 4th seed.  And they showed it probably wouldn't have mattered anyway by dismantling the BiG champion Wolverines.  I get that people don't like the SEC, but come on.  They had the best teams, hands down. 

The NFL is a violent game as well.  Yet when a team has a playoff spot clinched, and especially if they are going against a potential future playoff opponent in the regular season what do you see?  The playbook is not fully open, players may rest/sit out, or a whole assortment of tactics to better the potential to win the games that actually matter.  I am not saying that Georgia and Bama were not the best two teams, what I am saying is the situation resulted in circumstances that cheapened the SEC conference game.  No matter what Georgia did they were in.  41-24 barely winning, not buying it.

2 hours ago, Wyobraska said:

I don't think Georgia did that at all.  I just don't see anyway that was possible.  There was also no guarantee that Georgia met Bama again in the playoffs.  

Coaches get bonuses a lot for conference titles, there are bragging rights, there are recruiting ramifications to all of this.  

I think there is zero chance that happened or ever will happen. 

What are the bonuses for winning the playoff and natty compared to winning the conference?  Sorry, I just don't see the same Georgia team in the SEC championship that I saw in the playoffs.   The same level of intensity was not there.  Maybe it was like when the 85 Bears lost to Miami, or maybe it is more we will try but in the back of their mind they knew they were safe compared to Bama needing that game more, maybe a more strategic limit to what they were going to do, or a little of all the above.

My sole point is I want the conference championships to matter, and I don't want circumstances that can cheapen them. 

8 hours ago, Jimbo_Poke said:

What I was telling people was that Georgia knew they were in the playoff, the conference championship really meant nothing to them as they knew they would face either Michigan or Cincinnati in the semi-final. I'm not saying they sandbagged it but I don't think they were really into the game and were very vanilla during it

16 hours ago, Jimbo_Poke said:

I believe ALABAMA lost their two best receivers, one injured after the conference championship and then the other blew out his ACL early in the game.  

16 hours ago, Jimbo_Poke said:

The NFL is a violent game as well.  Yet when a team has a playoff spot clinched, and especially if they are going against a potential future playoff opponent in the regular season what do you see?  The playbook is not fully open, players may rest/sit out, or a whole assortment of tactics to better the potential to win the games that actually matter.  I am not saying that Georgia and Bama were not the best two teams, what I am saying is the situation resulted in circumstances that cheapened the SEC conference game.  No matter what Georgia did they were in.  41-24 barely winning, not buying it.

What are the bonuses for winning the playoff and natty compared to winning the conference?  Sorry, I just don't see the same Georgia team in the SEC championship that I saw in the playoffs.   The same level of intensity was not there.  Maybe it was like when the 85 Bears lost to Miami, or maybe it is more we will try but in the back of their mind they knew they were safe compared to Bama needing that game more, maybe a more strategic limit to what they were going to do, or a little of all the above.

My sole point is I want the conference championships to matter, and I don't want circumstances that can cheapen them. 

Did you notice that Georgia was behind 3-0 after the first quarter,  9-6 at halftime,  and 18-13 in the fourth quarter with 11 minutes when Alabama scored right?  They were literally losing in the 4th quarter of a championship game.  If they suddenly decided to play at a higher level than they did in the previous game,  they sure waited a long time to pull the game out.  I don't see why Georgia would intentionally make their path to winning it all harder by sandbagging a game against Alabama and allowing them in the playoffs.  It was just 2 elite teams going at it.  Alabama won the first one in a game that Georgia could have ended their season and Georgia won the rematch and the national championship.  No conspiracies, just great football programs, probably the 2 best in the country this year,  playing 2 games in a short span.  I am sure Georgia's chances for winning it all would have been even higher if they would have played Houston and Michigan for example, versus Michigan and Alabama.  I get your point, but i have a really hard time seeing Georgia not going all out in the SEC championship.  They just weren't the better team that day.  And as mentioned above, it certainly didn't hurt Georgia's chances when Alabama lost their top 2 WRs.  That was probably the biggest difference in stopping Alabama's offense the second time around.

1 hour ago, Koji Vu said:

I wouldn't use the word "sandbag"....

when "collude" is much more appropriate. :D 

Alabama players said if Georgia will let them get in the playoffs, they will beat the 4th seed, meet again in the championship, build up a lead in the 4th to make it look legit, and then throw the game with 8 minutes left.  Georgia said DEAL!  Those sneaky SEC bastards.  Always a step ahead.

I think this kind of goes back to what I had said either in this thread or another thread is that ACC is kind of weak right now football wise and that could be a factor into it to where maybe they plan they ultimately want ACC wouldn't qualify for

I wonder if we could ever see a world where it's not the P5 that breaks away, but the SEC and some others that do.

32 teams: all 16 SEC teams, plus some teams in the Big12 (Houston, Oklahoma State, Baylor and Texas Tech are the ones that jump out the most), Clemson, (maybe, maybe, maybe) Ohio State and Michigan (depending, I could see them both denying the opportunity too), and a few others. 

SEC just says screw it and goes entirely NFL farm league. It won't happen, but would be curious if some are thinking it.