Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sdsuphilip4

Is Hawaii going to fire Todd Graham?

2 minutes ago, fanhood said:

Your second paragraph is misleading. The Heller decision outlines a number of things such as the people are the militia, the firearm that was being discussed was in common use, and that all other rights are indeed individual rights, thus the right to bear arms cannot be communal or collective. 

Agreed on your third paragraph, which is why Hamilton said the Supreme Court controlled neither purse nor sword, thus the intent was for them to simply provide legal input on the constitution during disputes. 

Don’t want to dive too deep into this but yes I’m aware that Scalia used the assertion that “the people are the militia” to rationalize his contention that the Heller decision was in fact constructionist.  Suffice it to say that not everyone agrees.

On 1/1/2022 at 9:35 AM, fanhood said:

Could you outline some of the stuff you are referencing here as it relates to Rolo?

It’s not quite that simple as the issue relates to his attitude versus specific incidents.  I met and spoke with him when he first got the job and then watched his press conferences and read his media comments over the next three years.  He started out pretty humble and ended up arrogant, defensive and openly disdainful toward anyone who questioned him.  To me the contrast was apparent.  Initially I felt proud to have him as our coach and in the end I felt more embarrassed.

1 minute ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

It’s not quite that simple as the issue relates to his attitude versus specific incidents.  I met and spoke with him when he first got the job and then watched his press conferences and read his media comments over the next three years.  He started out pretty humble and ended up egotistical, defensive and openly disdainful toward anyone who questioned him.  To me the contrast was apparent.  Initially I felt proud to have him as our coach and in the end I felt more embarrassed.

So who would be on your short list?

13 minutes ago, fanhood said:

I have no idea on any of that. I just know he won ten games at Hawaii, which is very hard to do, regardless if you have a twelve or fourteen game schedule.

Who would be on your short list?

I wanted Craig Stutzmann to get the job when Rolo left.  Unfortunately his vaccination stance would probably prevent him from being considered.  I like Dino Babers, a UH graduate who applied for the job when Norm Chow did and may be available when Graham leaves if he continues to struggle at Syracuse.  I’d also want UH to look at top FCS head coaches whose teams run innovative pass-heavy offenses.  Dan Hawkins would be on my list if he wants another stint at the FBS level before retiring.

1 minute ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

I wanted Craig Stutzmann to get the job when Rolo left.  Unfortunately his vaccination stance would probably prevent him from being considered.  I like Dino Babers, a UH graduate who applied for the job when Norm Chow did and may be available when Graham leaves if he continues to struggle at Syracuse.  I’d also want UH to look at top FCS head coaches whose teams run innovative pass-heavy offenses.  Dan Hawkins would be on my list if he wants another stint at the FBS level before retiring.

I spent a lot of time living in Haleiwa in between deployments during the June Jones years, so I have an affinity for Hawaii. I have always thought that if somebody would simply recruit only the island, and Coastal California and Washington State, Hawaii could be unstoppable. 

Why is it that they cannot hire a coach that keeps the best Hawaii kids home? Would one of the leading HS coaches be able to do it?

45 minutes ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

I get where you’re coming from, but the reality is that the law of the land is not what the Constitution says but rather what the Supreme Court decides the Constitution says.

Bingo.  We all have our own beliefs what it says.  Ultimately, the only belief that matters is that of the Supreme Court. 

40 minutes ago, fanhood said:

I spent a lot of time living in Haleiwa in between deployments during the June Jones years, so I have an affinity for Hawaii. I have always thought that if somebody would simply recruit only the island, and Coastal California and Washington State, Hawaii could be unstoppable. 

Why is it that they cannot hire a coach that keeps the best Hawaii kids home? Would one of the leading HS coaches be able to do it?

Opinions vary.  So far no coach has been able to do it and that's somewhat related to kids wanting to experience life away from the Islands.  I think an even bigger factor is parental pressure.  If a player is offered a scholarship by a P5 school the parents will usually encourage him (or her, depending on the sport) to take advantage of the opportunity to get a "superior" education.  This is despite the fact that UH is a pretty strong academically itself and offers an educational experience comparable to a number of P5 schools.

1 hour ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

If Babers is out after next year at Syracuse, I hope like hell he goes to Hawaii.  Well actually I wouldn't mind him in Laramie but I don't see that happening.  

7 hours ago, fanhood said:

It’s the culture here. Parents here were brought up to believe that getting an education off the rock puts them in a higher status here. These parents now encourages their children to go away to college. Something they brag about when they have their family get togethers. “Oh my kids went to the “Mainland” for college”,  like it means something better to them. Who the hell cares....

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

On 12/30/2021 at 11:10 PM, kalua pig said:

his wife penni leigh graham is a nutcase too.

Any specifics on her shenanigans on Twitter &/or Msg Boards/FB Groups?

15 minutes ago, GoState99755 said:

Any specifics on her shenanigans on Twitter &/or Msg Boards/FB Groups?

Yup it was in a Twitter post from another Hawaii fan. Penni Graham is part of the Hawaii Athletics fan group on FB and she continues to defend her husband there

16 minutes ago, ShoichiKUN808 said:

Yup it was in a Twitter post from another Hawaii fan. Penni Graham is part of the Hawaii Athletics fan group on FB and she continues to defend her husband there

Thx

11 hours ago, thespywhozaggedme said:

The words are literally right there, they're not vague.  Several posters in here were claiming "separation of church and state" because Graham was apparently acting like a religious bully. While it may be uncouth and un Christ-like it doesn't violate any laws, even if you disagree with it. Secondly, I don't care what the Supreme Court ruled, I---> I'm guessing the administration at UH & the HI State House "...care(s) what the Supreme Ct ruled."  When's the anyone w/the purse strings or hiring/firing authority at any university asked you your opinion on how to read the US Constitution?

...for crying out loud they somehow decided that killing innocent pre-born babies was a constitutional "right". I---> What does this have to do w/this conversations?

The Constitution is the law of the land. I---> As is the way it's interpreted by the SCotUS.

10 hours ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

I get where you’re coming from, but the reality is that the law of the land is not what the Constitution says but rather what the Supreme Court decides the Constitution says.

After all, the words are “literally right there” in the Second Amendment that the right to keep and bear arms exists for the purpose of states being able to raise militias.  But that plain wording didn’t stop a conservative-majority Supreme Court from deciding in 2008 that the Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia.

Politics ultimately trumps strict constructionism with respect to interpeting the Constitution.  Depending on who controls the Court, the plain wording of the document has been stretched at various times to justify abortion rights (as you yourself note), gun rights, and yes the separation between church and state.  Neither liberal nor conservative justices have limited themselves to strictly constructionist interpretations when doing so would prevent them from reaching a conclusion they favored.

If by that you mean his ignorance of many things, you're correct.

And although what you subsequently say could possibly educate the guy, I highly doubt he has a sufficiently open mind for that to happen.

4 hours ago, Warbow said:

It’s the culture here. Parents here were brought up to believe that getting an education off the rock puts them in a higher status here. These parents now encourages their children to go away to college. Something they brag about when they have their family get togethers. “Oh my kids went to the “Mainland” for college”,  like it means something better to them. Who the hell cares....

Interesting. I didn't know the extent of that.

If I were Hawaii, I would not fire Graham at this point. I would give him another two years or so, but certainly next season.

With that being said, my criterion for a new hire would be the following:

- Proven track record of recruiting the islands

- Significant local ties

- Offensive background 

- A proven marketer

With the new Stadium coming, with the right guy, Hawaii is a program that can consistently win 7-10 games, depending on the year and the schedule. Almost more importantly, they need to start filling the stadium again. 

On 1/1/2022 at 11:10 AM, fanhood said:

One of the beautiful things of the Constitution is that anyone can read it, and you do not need legal training to understand it. With that, the Supreme Court does indeed, based on the society of the time, the individuals on the court, and political environment, read things into the Constitution. The Taney Court, and the Marshall Court come to mind here.

The establishment clause does not prohibit any person from practicing their religion even if they are in a public position, nor does it prohibit them from promoting their religion. 

Article VI outlines that there cannot be religious tests or requirements for people to qualify for public positions.

I don't get it. What did Graham do?

While he did not break or violate the Letter of the Law, he is trying to corrupt the Spirit of the Law by making Church Attendance a qualifier for being a starter or receiving a bigger share of playing time at a State (Guv) Institution.

Whether you agree or disagree, playing time should not be determined by Church attendance.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 1/1/2022 at 12:01 PM, fanhood said:

Like Vegas kids, many kids simply want to go somewhere else.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor