Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Aslowhiteguy

Biden throwing in the towel in regards to COVID?

6 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

There might not be a consensus among countries when it comes to vaccinating kids that aren’t considered “at risk” under 12, but the U.S. is hardly alone. Just doing some quick googles and in the Americas it looks like Argentina, Ecuador, Venezuela, Costa Rica, Cuba, El Salvador, Chile, and Canada are doing it. Article is a month old at this point though, so it’s possible that list is even bigger now. 

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/countries-vaccinating-children-against-covid-19-2021-06-29/

Agreed, the US is not on a limb here.  But the UK and Germany are not recommending it, Japan will start in March, and the EU countries are mixed. The WHO is not last time I checked.

again, talking about universal Covid vaccine for 6-11 here

17 minutes ago, RSF said:

No, they dont.  If they were, my wife's hospital (a childrens hospital) would overflowing right now, instead of just reaching capacity.

Not sure what flies have to do with it, either...

2018 flu season was way, way worse for kids.

https://time.com/5107984/hospitals-handling-burden-flu-patients/

5 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

Agreed, the US is not on a limb here.  But the UK and Germany are not recommending it, Japan will start in March, and the EU countries are mixed. The WHO is not last time I checked.

again, talking about universal Covid vaccine for 6-11 here

I don’t think the WHO would recommend it until Africa has sufficient access to vaccines for adults/teens. 

2 hours ago, CPslograd said:

There is no medical consensus on whether it is prudent to vaccinate all 6-11 year olds.  I don’t know why you are in denial about that.  You just are reflexively saying vaccines good no vaccine bad.

if you want to have a conversation about this, then do a little research first.

https://www.aap.org/en/pages/2019-novel-coronavirus-covid-19-infections/covid-19-vaccine-for-children/

American Academy of Pediatricians recommends for all 5-12 year olds as long as no contraindications.

I’m hoping to have a nice conversation without name calling and belittling but at what point are “breakthrough“ cases no longer “breakthrough“? 90%? I hate that things have become so tribal and we can’t just admit if we’re wrong about something or just say “I don’t know“? I feel like sometimes we’ve lost our humanity.

2 minutes ago, thespywhozaggedme said:

image.png.3e276b223fee120a3e0b4831347a6bec.png

Pitkin is 79% fully vaccinated. So vaccination reduced risk somewhat but not much if those numbers are accurate.

From what we’ve seen with Omicron this appears true for cases. But hospitalizations and deaths still highly correlated with lack of vaccination from what I’ve seen.

20 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Pitkin is 79% fully vaccinated. So vaccination reduced risk somewhat but not much if those numbers are accurate.

From what we’ve seen with Omicron this appears true for cases. But hospitalizations and deaths still highly correlated with lack of vaccination from what I’ve seen.

Thank you for the civilized conversation. I really hope we can keep it this way. Because again, we’ve got to get away from this “us versus them” mentality. We are all human beings at the end of the day. So a couple things, if it’s been less than 14 days since your second vaccination, you are considered “unvaccinated”, do we agree on that? Second of all, I don’t believe what you claimed is the case anymore, at least not in England and Israel and a lot of other places. It’s OK for us to say that we were wrong or we don’t know. I say it all the time, so I’m used to it. I was married for 17 years, so I woke up wrong. Lol

1 hour ago, CPslograd said:

2018 flu season was way, way worse for kids.

https://time.com/5107984/hospitals-handling-burden-flu-patients/

False…

2018-19 flu:

10,000,000 cases, 40,000 hospitalizations, and 372 deaths for kids <18

source: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/2018-2019.html

2020-21 covid:

~6,000,000 cases, 5,000 hospitalizations, 848 deaths.

source: https://data.cdc.gov/widgets/9bhg-hcku?mobile_redirect=true

24 minutes ago, thespywhozaggedme said:

So a couple things, if it’s been less than 14 days since your second vaccination, you are considered “unvaccinated”, do we agree on that? Second of all, I don’t believe what you claimed is the case anymore, at least not in England and Israel and a lot of other places.

Yes, at least in your example it says “not fully vaccinated. However some of the vaccination stats have become garbage post boosters. Many boosters were erroneously counted as 1st doses so 1st dose rates many places are showing as 99%ish (like your example of Pitkin). I doubt that is actually the case.

On England, AstraZeneca sucked as far keeping you from contracting Covid from Omicron Variant. BUT…8 times more likely to be hospitalized if not fully vaccinated.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/31/omicron-hospitalization-risk-upside-vaccine-protection-good-uk-study-.html

28 minutes ago, thespywhozaggedme said:

Thank you for the civilized conversation. I really hope we can keep it this way. Because again, we’ve got to get away from this “us versus them” mentality. We are all human beings at the end of the day. So a couple things, if it’s been less than 14 days since your second vaccination, you are considered “unvaccinated”, do we agree on that? Second of all, I don’t believe what you claimed is the case anymore, at least not in England and Israel and a lot of other places. It’s OK for us to say that we were wrong or we don’t know. I say it all the time, so I’m used to it. I was married for 17 years, so I woke up wrong. Lol

So are you asserting that being fully vaccinated does not reduce the risk or hospitalization and death, that “we don’t know” if this is the case, or something else entirely? No need to be vague, just make the point you want to make. 

1 hour ago, thespywhozaggedme said:

I’m hoping to have a nice conversation without name calling and belittling but at what point are “breakthrough“ cases no longer “breakthrough“? 90%? I hate that things have become so tribal and we can’t just admit if we’re wrong about something or just say “I don’t know“? I feel like sometimes we’ve lost our humanity.

You are not a serious person.  Not tribal.  Nothing close.

1 hour ago, SalinasSpartan said:

So are you asserting that being fully vaccinated does not reduce the risk or hospitalization and death, that “we don’t know” if this is the case, or something else entirely? No need to be vague, just make the point you want to make. 

Trying to have a civilized conversation and discussion, it runs the risk of saying “I was wrong“ or “I don’t know“ from either party or both. Interested?

3 hours ago, thespywhozaggedme said:

Trying to have a civilized conversation and discussion, it runs the risk of saying “I was wrong“ or “I don’t know“ from either party or both. Interested?

Not really interested in a drawn out convo. I just wanted to clarify what your point was, because it wasn’t clear. 

6 hours ago, thespywhozaggedme said:

For me I don't hear many people saying breatkthrough cases anymore unless it is a commentator who just keeps that up. I mean even Fauci has been using the world less and less. But others could be having a different experience on that.

5 hours ago, thespywhozaggedme said:

This is when the choice of words get screwed up and open ended definitions are there. I was on the CDC site the other day, I think it was, and on the website it said if you have had only one dose you are considered vaccinated in their language because you have had a vaccine shot. But then some people started adding fully vaccinated which now changes things. Now some areas, I think DC, Boston and one other area, have been having discussions that if you haven't had a booster shot they will consider you not fully vaccinated.