Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RebelAlliance

D1 Hockey at UNLV?

2 hours ago, RSF said:

The limit in NCAA D1 ice hockey is 18 scholarships.  The Atlantic Conference its 14.  The Ivy League plus a couple other D1 schools do have athletic scholarships.

The Ivy League doesn't offer athletic scholarships in any sport.

"But unlike other conferences, the Ivies don't offer athletic or academic scholarships. Students' financial aid packages are entirely need-based and determined by multiple factors, including reported family income and assets."

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

2 hours ago, utenation said:

With the Athletic Department in shambles with no AD, football being a disaster and an average at best hoops program, is this really a good idea to add more sports?

Maybe they should take care of the compound fracture first before running another race.

Oh ... I thought you were talking about ... never mind.  You go do what your ilk does.

You keep using that word. I do not think that word means what you think it means.

9 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

The Ivy League doesn't offer athletic scholarships in any sport.

"But unlike other conferences, the Ivies don't offer athletic or academic scholarships. Students' financial aid packages are entirely need-based and determined by multiple factors, including reported family income and assets."

Mistype.  I meant "Dont"

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

59 minutes ago, Rebels18 said:

Try to stay up with times old man! After paying for a search firm and a lengthy deliberation process of evaluating candidates for the last 4 months, UNLV went with the visionary move of sticking with the interim Athletic Director Erick Harper as full-time AD!

Apparently he's paid his dues and was the best man for the job! Harper has held a senior leadership role in UNLV Athletic Department since 2012...now you may misconstrue this date as the starting point for the complete and utter degradation of UNLV Basketball under the stunning and brave hires of our last two female ADs Tina-Kunzer-Murphy and Desiree-Reed-Francois! But you'd be wrong! For example, since he took over in 2012, UNLV's basketball attendance was avging 15,000/game. Thanks in part to his leadership and marketing genius, UNLV is avging a solid 3,000 fans per game now. There's a much more comfy and homey experience at basketball games now, toddlers don't even need to wear those annoying earmuffs to protect their eardrums as the RE-BELS CHANT is a faint, death rattle over the rows and rows of empty chairs. 

This was exactly the splashy move that UNLV needed to make to turn this ship around. He's going to be able to open so many new doors and have so many fresh, energetic ideas that he wasn't able to produce as a senior leader in the Athletic Department at UNLV the last 10 YEARS that will continue to transform UNLV to heights that were never even imaginable! 

We've discussed this before. But unfortunately all we have is current results.  I thought my question was fair. Does UNLV really need to be worrying about adding hockey with so many things to fix?

I hope Erick is your man to get things rolling. Sincerely. 

I’d much rather watch D-1 hockey in person than the NHL.  There are some incredible arena’s in college that only seat 8-10k fans.  I remember the heyday of Lake Superior State.  We had season tickets for Michigan State at Munn Ice Arena when they had the longest sell out streak.  

On 12/29/2021 at 11:42 PM, Old_Sparty1857 said:

SJSU is ready to go. The Sharks just built a nice 5000k arena across the street from Spartan Stadium for their minor league team (Barracudas) that the SJSU club team will now play in.  

Ever since Jeff Konya came onboard as AD, I've been hoping that he could find a way to invest in hockey. He has a lot of experience with hockey at the NCAA D1 level from his time at Northeastern and having a new facility available directly across from South Campus is a good start if he was thinking about making the transition eventually. 

4 hours ago, tailingpermit said:

I’d much rather watch D-1 hockey in person than the NHL.  There are some incredible arena’s in college that only seat 8-10k fans.  I remember the heyday of Lake Superior State.  We had season tickets for Michigan State at Munn Ice Arena when they had the longest sell out streak.  

I AGREE...College hockey is great!!!

Funny you should mention the Lakers @tailingpermit.  I saw Lk Superior State play twice.  Once at Joe Louis Arena back in the late-'90's in that annual Christmas Tourney Mich/Mich St hosted in DT Detroit. 

Then again 3-5 yrs-ago when they were playing at UAA (Alaska-Anchorage).  Unfortunately the Seawolves were still playing at the Sullivan Arena.  Their new on-campus Alaska Air Cntr hadn't opened yet.  It was still fun.  However not quite as fun partying w/their coaches & team manager the night before in Downtown Anchorage.  They were a great bunch o' guys & they hooked me up with passes to the game the nxt day.

5 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

wowie, so they're not jumping to D1---just scheduled three D1 teams to play against. A step in the right direction but what a let down, lol. 

Another ace marketing job from the UNLV Athletic Program. Nothing hypes up fans like the ol' bait and switch by making everyone speculate a much bigger announcement for several days, then the big reveal is something much, much less exciting. 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

7 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

VGK already let UNLV Hockey use the ice at the VGK HQ & attendance seems pretty solid 

There's typically a shit ton more fans in the Mackenzie River bar overlooking the rink as well. Pretty big upgrade from the LV Ice Center.. lol. Buddy of mine who graduated in 2016 was doing everything he could to try and get 1 more year of eligibility in the new digs. 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

3 minutes ago, Rebels18 said:

There's typically a shit ton more fans in the Mackenzie River bar overlooking the rink as well. Pretty big upgrade from the LV Ice Center.. lol. Buddy of mine who graduated in 2016 was doing everything he could to try and get 1 more year of eligibility in the new digs. 

True - the windows above look out from the bar / restaurant & there's more people up there watching 

7 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

That’s good news. Another step in the right direction.  I’m disappointed though that an arrangement couldn’t have been made with AF being that we are already in the same conference.

Stamp.

Ukrainian postage stamp honoring Snake Island soldiers

18 hours ago, Rebels18 said:

wowie, so they're not jumping to D1---just scheduled three D1 teams to play against. A step in the right direction but what a let down, lol. 

Another ace marketing job from the UNLV Athletic Program. Nothing hypes up fans like the ol' bait and switch by making everyone speculate a much bigger announcement for several days, then the big reveal is something much, much less exciting. 

Actually, they are playing one NCAA team three times.  Alaska-Anchorage is historically one of the worst NCAA D1 hockey programs.  At the moment the Seawolves are without a conference having been left behind in realignment which is why they are searching for teams to play.  They even had to raise outside money to save the program that was axed by the university in 2020.  Look, it's still a good get for the rising UNLV hockey program but in the grand scheme playing and even beating UAA is really not that big of a deal.

On 1/1/2022 at 11:14 AM, NorthWestCowboy said:

Actually, they are playing one NCAA team three times.  Alaska-Anchorage is historically one of the worst NCAA D1 hockey programs.  At the moment the Seawolves are without a conference having been left behind in realignment which is why they are searching for teams to play.  They even had to raise outside money to save the program that was axed by the university in 2020.  Look, it's still a good get for the rising UNLV hockey program but in the grand scheme playing and even beating UAA is really not that big of a deal.

No doubt the difficult circumstances at UAA played a part in UNLV getting these games scheduled.  At the same time, this isn't an insignificant development either - UAA's coach has stated his goal in a recent interview: “ further down the line, my goal is to help the Western teams that might be considering making the jump to Division One Hockey. The three year goal is to play those guys and help them as much as possible to convince their Athletic Departments to get convinced to make that jump.”

That alone doesn't really mean a whole lot, however, Denver just announced that they will be playing UNLV as well.  The last thing Denver needs to do is schedule an ACHA program.  Being that they are somewhat isolated as one of the only programs in the West, it would make sense that Denver would do what they can to support a program that has legitimate potential to move up and be successful.  Relevant to this discussion is Lindenwood, because last year year, prior to announcing that they were adding a D1 hockey program, Lindenwood's ACHA program was actually able to schedule and play, you guessed it, Denver.  Additionally, Lindenwood actually hosted Air Force, and they were able to schedule another series at Arizona State (was covid cancelled).  

I get it that UNLV would still need money, and approval from the AD, but ACHA games vs D1 programs are pretty rare, and I think that Denver scheduling a game with them could be a tell that there is more going on behind the scenes than we know.  The benefactor is obvious, IMO.  The Engelstads have donated tens of millions of dollars to UNLV over the years, and they have been a huge supporter of UNLV hockey as well, donating hundreds of thousands.  They have also donated 10+ million to North Dakota's Ralph Engelstad Arena over the last 10 years or so, but Kris Engelstad has recently said herself that she feels more of an affinity to UNLV.  It's not out of the question at all that she would be willing to put together an endowment, along with the Golden Knights, to help finance a D1 move.  UNLV would be stupid not to accept such an offer.

Hockey doesn't have to be a drain on the budget, as ASU has already shown that southern teams can be successful.  ASUhey has already sold out the season ticket allotment to their new arena, and those tickets were not cheap...  ASU's coach recently said in an interview that starting this year, they will be looking at a break even budget, and also they may likely even be a net (revenue) contributor to the ASU athletics department.

If anyone is in Vegas this fall, I invite you to check out the UND vs ASU game that will be played at T-Mobile arena.  The game is on track to sell out, so come and experience first-hand the atmosphere and the potential of a D1 hockey program at UNLV.