Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

Nice academic gain

UNLV first achieved Carnegie’s “Very High Research” classification in 2018, and since that time our university has never let off the gas. Research expenditures, a key measure of university research activity, are up nearly 60% since Carnegie’s 2018 classification. The new Kerkorian School of Medicine is now fully accredited and growing, and we’re experiencing focused growth throughout the STEM disciplines. We are also graduating more students with doctoral degrees by growing and expanding graduate programs, and we’re bolstering the number of non-faculty researchers throughout the sciences and health sciences.

UNLV research now routinely captures national and international headlines, including the 2020 landmark discovery by UNLV physicists of a room-temperature superconductor – long considered the “holy grail” of energy efficiency; a team of engineering students and faculty have reached the finals of an international research challenge for their humanoid robot avatar system; and last month, geoscientists identified the first-ever mineral from Earth’s lower mantle.

I wouldn't expect any less from a self-proclaimed pseudo-Land Grant College.

However, how is "...retain(ing) its status as a Carnegie R1," "reaching another milestone?"  Wasn't that milestone reached back in 2018?  I don't understand what is "gain(ed)" when something is "retained?"

6 hours ago, GoState99755 said:

However, how is "...retain(ing) its status as a Carnegie R1," "reaching another milestone?"  Wasn't that milestone reached back in 2018?.  I don't understand what is "gain(ed)" when something is "retained?"

It’s UNLV, they’ll still be posting about this in 2048.

8 hours ago, GoState99755 said:

However, how is "...retain(ing) its status as a Carnegie R1," "reaching another milestone?"  Wasn't that milestone reached back in 2018?.  I don't understand what is "gain(ed)" when something is "retained?"

We wouldn’t expect someone from a rodeo clown college to understand.

8 hours ago, GoState99755 said:

Not sure why you just can't stand seeing any progress for UNLV, those are some pretty remarkable accomplishments for this year. Go ahead and hate, but fwiw, you sound threatened.

Just sayin..

1 hour ago, 4UNLV said:

Not sure why you just can't stand seeing any progress for UNLV, those are some pretty remarkable accomplishments for this year. Go ahead and hate, but fwiw, you sound threatened.

Just sayin..

You're confusing the words "progress" and "another milestone" with the word "maintain."  Maybe Nevada Southern's English department isn't accredited...

1 hour ago, Packfan11.1 said:

You're confusing the words "progress" and "another milestone" with the word "maintain."  Maybe Nevada Southern's English department isn't accredited...

Hmm. ‘Last month’ discovery sounds like progress to me. But go ahead and pick apart the choice of words used. 

2 hours ago, quickdraw said:

Only 4 MWC school hold the classification. It’s a coincidence that they are all State Land Grant Universities.

Maybe I’m looking at outdated data, but I counted six MW schools that are R1 (CSU, USU, Hawaii, UNM, UNLV, and UNR). Only the city-states schools, Wyoming, and AFA are below R1. These six R1 schools should really consider an MWC research consortium similar to other conferences. 

The other R1 western universities that could be future expansion candidates are UC Davis, UTEP, Montana State, and NDSU for football/olympic sports. As well as UT Arlington and Denver for just olympics. 

4B0A6637-70F8-4DE0-B701-319EA97B5F8E.jpeg

2 hours ago, Ram1554 said:

Maybe I’m looking at outdated data, but I counted six MW schools that are R1 (CSU, USU, Hawaii, UNM, UNLV, and UNR). Only the city-states schools, Wyoming, and AFA are below R1. These six R1 schools should really consider an MWC research consortium similar to other conferences. 

Nah, I probably missed USU and I usually don’t think about Hawaii as a conference member. 

5 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

Wait, the Aztecs aren't there?? Or SJSU?

And they call us an entertainment school, lol.

Some months ago, there was a thread on here about updating CA higher ed's master plan. Several non-CA posters think its current iteration is perfect. All CSUs are, essentially, barred from being research universities, in this out of date policy. Only UCs are allowed to be designated as research universities.

On 12/17/2021 at 7:50 AM, Gator 82 said:

We wouldn’t expect someone from a rodeo clown college to understand.

Let's see..."rodeo clown college,"

-or-

....pissing away the conf's top bowl game, while Al Davis, Jr bends you over as you are dreaming of a "Natty" won before my GF was born & he's dictating the hm f'ball schedule of the worst f'ball pgm in the league.

I'm going w/the "rodeo clown(s)" in Canvas Stadium.  

Superior Lifestyle wins out every time...

On 12/17/2021 at 8:12 AM, 4UNLV said:

Just sayin..

How is pointing out a 3-yr-old award isn't a sign of  "progress" evidence I "...can't stand seeing any progress..." for your nice new lil' commuter school?

I fail to see where I'm hating or "threatened."  Thx for trying to put words in my mouth.  Nice try "...just saying."