Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

4UNLV

Hey Aztecs!

4 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

The Aztecs will win a lot of MWC games with defense, but that won’t get them past the first round of the Dance. 

There are a lot of good defensive teams in the MW this year. Four teams rank in the top-25 in scoring defense. SDSU is the 4th of those four. 

We have health issues right now but we have a light schedule between now and conference play. Getting Butler back will help. Bradley looks like he's settling in. We'll see. 

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

36 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

We have health issues right now but we have a light schedule between now and conference play. Getting Butler back will help. Bradley looks like he's settling in. We'll see. 

Losing Shackel and Gomez is showing. SDSU is really struggling from the outside without them. 

1 hour ago, kingpotato said:

Losing Shackel and Gomez is showing. SDSU is really struggling from the outside without them. 

We shot over 40% last game. We've got the shooters, hopefully they'll find their stroke. Bradley is a career 40 shooter as is Baker-Mazara. We really need to box out. We're giving up way too many 2nd, 3rd and 4th chances. 

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

9 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

We shot over 40% last game. We've got the shooters, hopefully they'll find their stroke. Bradley is a career 40 shooter as is Baker-Mazara. We really need to box out. We're giving up way too many 2nd, 3rd and 4th chances. 

You’re shooting about 30% from three and about 40% total. That’s not good. 

6 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

You’re shooting about 30% from three and about 40% total. That’s not good. 

Last game. Not over all. It's a hopeful sign of progress 

-Richard Feynman

-P.J. O’Rourke

8 hours ago, renoskier said:

is it basketball season yet?

I feel for the Pack right now. They were just starting to gain some traction after a crummy start to the season. Then a COVID pause. That cant be easy.

The Aztecs are still tying to figure out who or what they are as a team. There is a slight identity crisis. The inconsistent shooting and poor shot selection isn't helping. The Aztecs do play defense. Hopefully they figure it out. Dutcher is a good coach, so we will see.

Go Aztecs!!

3 hours ago, kingpotato said:

Well, he shot 40% from 3. Mitchell too, but he was statistically worse than the other two. 

I can think of no better example of the difference in quality of play between the MWC and the Big West than Gomez. I saw Gomez three times when he was at CSUN and the guy wasn't just a 3-point threat. In that league, if opponents covered him too tightly he was able to drive the lane for frequent layups. Not so during his time at SDSU. My sense is the difference wasn't so much the size of opponents' front line as it was those guys' mobility. (Swat, swat.)

As you say, Gomez did shoot 40% from 3 as an Aztec. However, he shot 44% as a junior at CSUN. Also, his FT shooting was down 6.5 percentage points as an Aztec from the nation-leading percentage it had been the year before. If anything, you would have expected it to be better since he played about 10 minutes less per game so should have had fresher legs.

Gomez was just 4-19 from behind the arc in the MW tourney and the NCAA tournament game against Syracuse and he made a couple salty comments about our coaching staff while announcing he wouldn't return this season as a super senior. Despite that, in checking I'm pleased to see that he's currently second in scoring in the Turkish league at 23.9 ppg.

5 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

I can think of no better example of the difference in quality of play between the MWC and the Big West than Gomez. I saw Gomez three times when he was at CSUN and the guy wasn't just a 3-point threat. In that league, if opponents covered him too tightly he was able to drive the lane for frequent layups. Not so during his time at SDSU. My sense is the difference wasn't so much the size of opponents' front line as it was those guys' mobility. (Swat, swat.)

As you say, Gomez did shoot 40% from 3 as an Aztec. However, he shot 44% as a junior at CSUN. Also, his FT shooting was down 6.5 percentage points as an Aztec from the nation-leading percentage it had been the year before. If anything, you would have expected it to be better since he played about 10 minutes less per game so should have had fresher legs.

Gomez was just 4-19 from behind the arc in the MW tourney and the NCAA tournament game against Syracuse and he made a couple salty comments about our coaching staff while announcing he wouldn't return this season as a super senior. Despite that, in checking I'm pleased to see that he's currently second in scoring in the Turkish league at 23.9 ppg.

I don't think Gomez was a huge loss, I was just attributing some of the Aztecs shooting woes on those losses. 

1 hour ago, 818SUDSFan said:

He was a liability on defense.

-Richard Feynman

-P.J. O’Rourke

We're struggling to find that guy. I'm not sure we have him now. Butter was working his way into the role. We need him back. He takes the pressure off of Pulliam and Bradley. 

-Richard Feynman

-P.J. O’Rourke