Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

Americas poor are also Americas most generous and giving.

https://philanthropynewsdigest.org/news/poor-americans-are-country-s-most-charitable-demographic

Old article but something that was shared with me in a conversation about giving during the Holidays.  I thought it was interesting that Americas poor tend to give outside their ability while the better off tend to give less than they are able.  As a percentage of income, the poor (bottom 20%) donate twice as much as the other brackets.

1 hour ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

https://philanthropynewsdigest.org/news/poor-americans-are-country-s-most-charitable-demographic

Old article but something that was shared with me in a conversation about giving during the Holidays.  I thought it was interesting that Americas poor tend to give outside their ability while the better off tend to give less than they are able.  As a percentage of income, the poor (bottom 20%) donate twice as much as the other brackets.

no surprise to me.  Used to see it in small town America all the time.

For Christians, it reflects the widows mite in Mark 12:41-44. Unfortunately too many people focus on their money and things.

My wife and I came from working class families that did not have much money. But we both were taught to give and share what little our families had.

My wife remembers her father finding a couple dollars on the street when she was young. Instead of keeping it or doing something for his family, he gave the money to charity to help someone else. She never has forgotten that lesson.

She and I went through a financially tough period early in our marriage, literally we ended a few months with under $1 in our checking account. But we still would donate a few cents to charity during those months.

Now we are nearing retirement financially secure and feel fortunate. But we know that over 90% of Americans do not have what we have financially. So we donate to causes that mean something to us.

12 minutes ago, FresnoFacts said:

For Christians, it reflects the widows mite in Mark 12:41-44. Unfortunately too many people focus on their money and things.

My wife and I came from working class families that did not have much money. But we both were taught to give and share what little our families had.

My wife remembers her father finding a couple dollars on the street when she was young. Instead of keeping it or doing something for his family, he gave the money to charity to help someone else. She never has forgotten that lesson.

She and I went through a financially tough period early in our marriage, literally we ended a few months with under $1 in our checking account. But we still would donate a few cents to charity during those months.

Now we are nearing retirement financially secure and feel fortunate. But we know that over 90% of Americans do not have what we have financially. So we donate to causes that mean something to us.

I love your philosophy and Karma is real to me.  Always drop some cash in the bell ringers bucket, food to local food bank in cans, etc.  Time to support meals on wheels, etc

I loved to donate time.  Sometimes that is needed more than money.    Helping with donated labor and work was huge in rural Wyoming

47 minutes ago, FresnoFacts said:

Right on. I was just going to post that Bible verse. Good for you, your faith is real and you've been blessed. :thumbsup: 

On the tax returns I prepare I get to see everything that people donate to. I’ve seen families that barely make ends meet every month that faithfully give 10% of their income I’ve seen multimillionaires who don’t donate a penny. I’ve also seen some very wealthy people who donate crazy amounts of money to good causes too 

5 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Not very surprising to me. Firstly, there are just different attitudes towards money between rich and poor. The poor see it as a tool for survival, whereas the rich see it as a means for a lifestyle. If it is only for survival, and you are already surviving, you are more apt to give it to others to help them survive. However, a lifestyle needs to be constantly fed on its own and is usually much more expensive. In many ways it is a constantly unattainable goal.

Secondly, those living so close to the margin understand the real need. Likely they have been there already or have family, friends, etc., who are there. "There but for the grace of God go I." It doesn't mean rich people are assholes, they probably just don't have the practical experience to relate. Most rich are generational rich. Most poor are generational poor.  The generational rich are conditioned to compete for what they have. The generational poor have a much more communal view towards sharing what they have. At least that is what I have observed.

It seems this is something that has been endemic to modern society since the industrial age... probably since feudalism... maybe since civilization began?...Some guy had a whole literary career based on it... Obviously there is factual truth to the Dickens' trope.

41890104._SX318_.jpg

Poor folks are around other poor folks.  They see the conditions, so it is not overly surprising that they are more likely to give what they can.  It is not a broadbrush knock on the wealthy, as many do good things, but for many, it is out of sight, out of mind.  I wonder how many folks that are higher in income but donate/don't donate would have a higher propensity for either based on life experience.  

What are we talking about here? Donating in general or donating to causes which aid the poor?

Obviously, many wealthy folks are huge donators but often their philanthropy is directed at causes in which they have an interest and do not directly aid the less fortunate. 

It's empathy, plain and simple. To really understand a different person's situation you have to also be in that situation. Walk a mile in their shoes. That sort of thing.  Just human nature for the most part.

16 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Poor folks are around other poor folks.  They see the conditions, so it is not overly surprising that they are more likely to give what they can.  It is not a broadbrush knock on the wealthy, as many do good things, but for many, it is out of sight, out of mind.  I wonder how many folks that are higher in income but donate/don't donate would have a higher propensity for either based on life experience.  

That makes sense, and I bet there's a distinction between first generation wealth and old money folks. My mom grew up very poor, and it always seemed that she was much more giving growing up compared to my friends' parents, even though we all lived in similar houses and (probably) had parents who made similar money.

39 minutes ago, renoskier said:

"real people"?

I will give the benefit of the doubt and say he means it helps people directly (food banks, homeless programs, Veteran assistance) vs indirect (endowments and funding individual colleges like the School of Business).  Which wouldn't be inaccurate.  I do a blend between those, as well as conservation and wildlife funds (and yes, I am closer to the poor group than I am to a wealthy group).  I don't give a huge amount, but it is what it is.  It seems bad, but I never give to folks on the street, I go through orgs, or if it is someone I personally know that needs some assistance.  Never to a stranger, I am a bit jaded on that front.

2 hours ago, renoskier said:

What are we talking about here? Donating in general or donating to causes which aid the poor?

Obviously, many wealthy folks are huge donators but often their philanthropy is directed at causes in which they have an interest and do not directly aid the less fortunate. 

Donations to charitable organizations.  

An aside from the rich vs. poor angle here, but something to remember for those who think a tax return gives a complete picture. People often choose to donate their time, sometimes instead of money. I’m on two nonprofit boards, and I can say that without a doubt there is a significant need for volunteer hours and money. And many do give both. But volunteer hours are precious because they can be harder to come by.