Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

How much better was the MWC this year than years past?

Mean ranking per Massey composite below

2021: 69.7  6 point gap between us and the lowest P5
2020:  81.25 25 point gap between us and lowest P5
2019: 74.56
2018: 77.32
2017: 88.81
2016: 78.46
2015: 86.79
2014: 76.73

The Bold indicates years we finished ranked higher than the AAC.  

2021 is far and away the highest ranked year for the MWC.  The gap between the MWC and the Pac 12 is within 1 point of the gap between this years MWC and our second highest rated season ever per the computer composite.

Could indicate a good bowl season for us.

Just now, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Mean ranking per Massey composite below

2021: 69.7  6 point gap between us and the lowest P5
2020:  81.25 25 point gap between us and lowest P5
2019: 74.56
2018: 77.32
2017: 88.81
2016: 78.46
2015: 86.79
2014: 76.73

The Bold indicates years we finished ranked higher than the AAC.  

2021 is far and away the highest ranked year for the MWC.  The gap between the MWC and the Pac 12 is within 1 point of the gap between this years MWC and our second highest rated season ever per the computer composite.

Could indicate a good bowl season for us.

I think there have been years where the top of the conference was comparable to or better than the top of the conference this year. Didn’t we have 3 ranked teams to end the year in 2018?

What really sets this year apart is how good the middle and even the bottom of the conference was. The 3rd(?) ranked team from the mountain division really should have had two top-15 wins but got railroaded by a botched call. FS and Nevada were much better than the average 2nd and 3rd place west teams. And I don’t think we had very many teams that had abjectly horrible seasons either that warranted a bottom 10 finish. 

This was a great year for the MWC—credit goes to USU for winning the conference. There were about 5 teams that could have won the championship game on any given day, and they put it together. 

3 minutes ago, JADogs05 said:

I think there have been years where the top of the conference was comparable to or better than the top of the conference this year. Didn’t we have 3 ranked teams to end the year in 2018?

What really sets this year apart is how good the middle and even the bottom of the conference was. The 3rd(?) ranked team from the mountain division really should have had two top-15 wins but got railroaded by a botched call. FS and Nevada were much better than the average 2nd and 3rd place west teams. And I don’t think we had very many teams that had abjectly horrible seasons either that warranted a bottom 10 finish. 

This was a great year for the MWC—credit goes to USU for winning the conference. There were about 5 teams that could have won the championship game on any given day, and they put it together. 

6 MWC teams in the composite top 50.  Only 1 in the bottom 20.  Both are records in the play off era.

Outside looking in. The best year in awhile I think. SDSU losing like that in the CCG didn't help since they are your only ranked team. Obviously the COVID situation didn't help them.

Computer rankings are great but CFB is all about perception with pollsters.  The best the MWC has been here is when TCU, Utah and BYU were all consistently ranked.  If the MWC can break through the perception barrier here, I think they can get back to that.  As long as top coaches don't get picked off at a high level. 

I think this bowl season could really help with that for rankings next year. Without looking back at previous seasons, I think this might be one of the best seasons for OOC wins?

I don't think the MWC has ever had 8 teams bowling.. Impressive. 

33 minutes ago, utenation said:

Outside looking in. The best year in awhile I think. SDSU losing like that in the CCG didn't help since they are your only ranked team. Obviously the COVID situation didn't help them.

Computer rankings are great but CFB is all about perception with pollsters.  The best the MWC has been here is when TCU, Utah and BYU were all consistently ranked.  If the MWC can break through the perception barrier here, I think they can get back to that.  As long as top coaches don't get picked off at a high level. 

I think this bowl season could really help with that for rankings next year. Without looking back at previous seasons, I think this might be one of the best seasons for OOC wins?

I don't think the MWC has ever had 8 teams bowling.. Impressive. 

Yeah, the MWC lacked an elite team this year which hurts perception but had half the conference in that 25-46 range.  In 2011, before TCU left, the MWC had an average mean ranking of 70.5 about a point worse than than this year.  That was with Boise finishing #5 and TCU #16.  But no other MWC team finished top 60 an 3 finished bottom 10.

Those MWC years 2008, 2009, 2010 were particularly special with mean rankings of 62, 61.  All three of those years were higher better than the Pac 12 this year.   Prior to that, this year is actually better than the rest of the MWC seasons with the old guard.  2007 3 top 50 teams.  2006, 2 top 50 teams.  2005, just 1 team in the top 50.  2004 2 top 50 teams (with the second coming in at 49).  As far back as I wanna go but looking at records from those seasons I doubt it gets better.  

The old MWC really put it all together having 3 teams get hot with 3 others being pretty strong.  Hoping Boise, Fresno, SDSU, and a few others can do something similar.  Not toooo far behind.  

5 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Yeah, the MWC lacked an elite team this year which hurts perception but had half the conference in that 30-46 range.  In 2011, before TCU left, the MWC had an average mean ranking of 70.5 about a point worse than than this year.  That was with Boise finishing #5 and TCU #16.  But no other MWC team finished top 60 an 3 finished bottom 10.

Those MWC years 2008, 2009, 2010 were particularly special with mean rankings of 62, 61.  All three of those years were higher better than the Pac 12 this year.   Prior to that, this year is actually better than the rest of the MWC seasons with the old guard.  2007 3 top 50 teams.  2006, 2 top 50 teams.  2005, just 1 team in the top 50.  2004 2 top 50 teams (with the second coming in at 49).  As far back as I wanna go but looking at records from those seasons I doubt it gets better.  

The old MWC really put it all together having 3 teams get hot with 3 others being pretty strong.  Hoping Boise, Fresno, SDSU, and a few others can do something similar.  Not toooo far behind.  

The MWC needs Boise to be good again. Probably the best brand in the MWC.  Also the remaining old MWC guard like CSU, Wyo, UNLV, UNM need to step up.. AFA was good this year. And they will never be a consistent T25 program. But solid is good for them.

Just now, utenation said:

The MWC needs Boise to be good again. Probably the best brand in the MWC.  Also the remaining old MWC guard like CSU, Wyo, UNLV, UNM need to step up.. AFA was good this year.

Boise is going to have at least one more rebuilding year before the Roster can be top 25 good I think, depending on what happens with the portal.  Our talent level is just simply not near what it was.  We are too slow.  But yeah, Boise being at least top 25 good would go a long ways.  2023 is the year.  

7 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Not having OOC last year killed us entering the season and all year long. The conference was really good in 2020, too. 

If SDSU had a top 30 instead of bottom 30 D1 QB and just 1 elite WR like a Doubs or Shakir to go with it, they could have been TCU/Boise/Uthah/2010 Nevada good.

The best teams weren’t rated as high as in the past, but most were just outside the top 25 at the end. The overall parity was the best it’s ever been. UNLV and New Mexico were the only teams that couldn’t beat the rest on any given day. The conference should continue to improve if we can get the best teams into the Top 25 and UNLV and New Mexico get better. 

Coaching has a lot to do with how the conference does. Most the new coaches the last two years have been upgrades other than Addazio. CSU rectified that situation now Reno has to hire a good coach. Fresno is looking up hiring Tedford. Anderson has been great at USU. Avalos will eventually put Boise State back in the Top 25. IMO there really aren’t any terrible coaches in the MWC right now, although not sold on Graham at UH.

1 minute ago, soupslam1 said:

The best teams weren’t rated as high as in the past, but most were just outside the top 25 at the end. The overall parity was the best it’s ever been. UNLV and New Mexico were the only teams that couldn’t beat the rest on any given day. The conference should continue to improve if we can get the best teams into the Top 25 and UNLV and New Mexico get better. 

Coaching has a lot to do with how the conference does. Most the new coaches the last two years have been upgrades other than Addazio. CSU rectified that situation now Reno has to hire a good coach. Fresno is looking up hiring Tedford. Anderson has been great at USU. Avalos will eventually put Boise State back in the Top 25. IMO there really aren’t any terrible coaches in the MWC right now, although not sold on Graham at UH.

Who would have thought 6 years ago that Bohl would be one of the two MWC coaches their fans wish would leave?

4 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Oh, also, you have my permission to copy/paste this info on the BTB on the thread IF2 is taking exception to the idea the MWC was far superior this year compared to the Harsin years.  

Just now, Koji Vu said:

Screw perception. This has been a great year.

5-5 vs Pac 12 with a chance to be 6-5. 
3 wins against upper tier Pac 12 (Utah, UCLA, WSU) while Pac 12 has only one upper tier win (FSU)

Don't forget a convincing win against #13 BYU on the road and should have been a win but the refs called back the winning TD for which they apologized against #9 Okie State.

7 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Who would have thought 6 years ago that Bohl would be one of the two MWC coaches their fans wish would leave?

Wyoming is one of the most physical teams in the MWC. It’s tough for them to get good skill players to Laramie. Josh Allen was like winning the lottery, totally unexpected. If Bohl ever gets the skill players Boise State gets Wyoming would take a step up. I wish Boise State could get and develop linemen like Wyoming does. 

Just now, soupslam1 said:

Wyoming is one of the most physical teams in the MWC. It’s tough for them to get good skill players to Laramie. Josh Allen was like winning the lottery, totally unexpected. If Bohl ever gets the skill players Boise State gets Wyoming would take a step up.

That Wyoming team that beat us had some sick skill talent.  NFL WR, TE and RB to go with Allen.  

2 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

That Wyoming team that beat us had some sick skill talent.  NFL WR, TE and RB to go with Allen.  

Honestly I think if we had decent QB most of the year (and I do think Levi could be it, but no matter what you have to try and recruit better every year) we are at least 8-4. However Bohl is too old school to change anything enough to become an elite MWC team. 

tetons1.jpg

4 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Boise is going to have at least one more rebuilding year before the Roster can be top 25 good I think, depending on what happens with the portal.  Our talent level is just simply not near what it was.  We are too slow.  But yeah, Boise being at least top 25 good would go a long ways.  2023 is the year.  

The portal will solve all of your ills my man.

4 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Wyoming is one of the most physical teams in the MWC. It’s tough for them to get good skill players to Laramie. Josh Allen was like winning the lottery, totally unexpected. If Bohl ever gets the skill players Boise State gets Wyoming would take a step up. I wish Boise State could get and develop linemen like Wyoming does. 

Wyoming had the best skill player in the MWC this year.  We just didn’t get him the ball nearly enough.  

4 hours ago, SLCPoke said:

Honestly I think if we had decent QB most of the year (and I do think Levi could be it, but no matter what you have to try and recruit better every year) we are at least 8-4. However Bohl is too old school to change anything enough to become an elite MWC team. 

Levi is legit.  Good for him on calling out the coaches on his playing time. 

Bohl is a different story.  Tons of respect for the guy and the players he gets to Laramie, but I don't see him ever getting to the top of the conference.  Always threatening to do so, but I don't see it happening.