Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

December 7th, 1941

5 minutes ago, retrofade said:

What did I mess up? :facepalm:

January 7 in the title :) 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

39 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

It is crazy to think about how a day goes from a nice morning, to one of the most chaotic days in our nation's history.  Normalcy can be taken away so quickly, something we unfortunately know as those who were old enough to process the day of 9/11 as it happened.

While both my grandfathers had passed away earlier in 2001, both of my grandmothers still had their capacities about them. Speaking with each in turn in the days after 9/11, I asked them if this is what it had felt like on December 7th when Pearl Harbor was attacked. Both said, "yes."

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

truly a day that will live in infamy...knew a few people growing up who were there that day...their stories were so crazy...

whole thing was a strategic mistake too, as it awoke the sleeping giant...lol

5 hours ago, And? said:

Fallen Not Forgotten.

Weird how everything turned out. Japan I'd argue as an ally has assumed an almost special place. Like we trust them completely.

We razed their society and rebuilt it. It wasn’t an accident they stopped being crazy a-holes.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

There are children today that know people who remember Pearl Harbor vividly. When those people were children, some of them knew other people that remembered the first year of the Civil War 80 years before vividly.

I don’t have a point. The passage of time is just weird.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

5 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

We razed their society and rebuilt it. It wasn’t an accident they stopped being crazy a-holes.

Well they also had a functioning society in the first place. Developed bureaucracy and semi-legislature, developed apparatus for executive power, raised themselves from "developed enlightenment economy" to "developed industrial" by their own bootstraps. 

4 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

There are children today that know people who remember Pearl Harbor vividly. When those people were children, some of them knew other people that remembered the first year of the Civil War 80 years before vividly.

I don’t have a point. The passage of time is just weird.

My dad as a child knew a dude who rode with Teddy Roosevelt in Cuba. Hell my grandpa was born into a world with no airplanes and died in one with an internet and GPS. 

A while ago we had a discussion where I said that America's exceptionalism is a choice instead of an attribute. the relative closeness in terms of generations of stuff that "were from that time, we aren't like that any more"  brings that home for me. Both in terms of how fragile American exceptionalism is, and in terms of how amazing it is that we have chosen to be exceptional - not without numerous pitfalls, true, but overall - for so long.

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

6 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Well they also had a functioning society in the first place. Developed bureaucracy and semi-legislature, developed apparatus for executive power, raised themselves from "developed enlightenment economy" to "developed industrial" by their own bootstraps. 

My dad as a child knew a dude who rode with Teddy Roosevelt in Cuba. Hell my grandpa was born into a world with no airplanes and died in one with an internet and GPS. 

A while ago we had a discussion where I said that America's exceptionalism is a choice instead of an attribute. the relative closeness in terms of generations of stuff that "were from that time, we aren't like that any more"  brings that home for me. Both in terms of how fragile American exceptionalism is, and in terms of how amazing it is that we have chosen to be exceptional - not without numerous pitfalls, true, but overall - for so long.

Think about it from the Japanese perspective. Those kids today have/had grandparents that grew up in imperial Japan, who themselves had grandparents that grew up in the late Edo period. 

4 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Think about it from the Japanese perspective. Those kids today have/had grandparents that grew up in imperial Japan, who themselves had grandparents that grew up in the late Edo period. 

Man that is a freaking leap.

OTOH from what I've read lives of peasants changed very, very, very little over thousands of years. I wonder sometimes if our great developmental leap forward required the population jump we've seen as a self-sustaining cycle. It makes me worried that space travel would require a population base larger than earth can support. 

16 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Man that is a freaking leap.

OTOH from what I've read lives of peasants changed very, very, very little over thousands of years. I wonder sometimes if our great developmental leap forward required the population jump we've seen as a self-sustaining cycle. It makes me worried that space travel would require a population base larger than earth can support. 

Where do you want space travel to be in 80 and 160 years? Multiple bases on the moon? A community on mars. Perhaps outposts on the moons of Jupiter and Saturn?

Population is a factor. But there is also something fundamental in the human spirit to explore just for its own sake. Reinhold Messner, when asked why he climbed Everest without supplemental oxygen why he went up there to die responded he went up there to live. Now a peasant doesn’t have that luxury. But as population growth dwindles so does the population that lives in peasantry standards. Keep the world getting richer and man will reach into space.