Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AztecMD

Aztec Stadium has a new name

14 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

Gawd, I hope folks start showing up for games. Attendance started declining around 2018 in the Murph and was non-existent in Carson.

Don't know what it is about SD and their inability to support Sports teams.

Its just one of those cities and Oahu suffers from this as well, just so much entertainment options to choose from 

Related image

7 hours ago, trvitmvnz said:

Its just one of those cities and Oahu suffers from this as well, just so much entertainment options to choose from 

Not to mention the relaxed casual culture of both places, as well as how many transplants with their imported fandom impedes a groundswell of localized support (the old Debbie Downer Disease).  Hard to get all the bars to play the game when many are owned by fans of the Big Ten and other P5's.  

Won't be surprised if you don't see that take hold in Boise, just on a lesser scale.

8 hours ago, Koji Vu said:

Sure, but this stadium secures the financial future of the SDSU athletic department.

How ?

If they don't put BiS, how you gonna keep the lights on ?

Pay the Athletic Dept bills ?

Like CSU, there is long term debt.

I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer, I think the new digs are awesome. Better than the crumbling Murph.

But, SD Sports Fan history says different.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

2 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

How ?

I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer, I think the new digs are awesome. Better than the crumbling Murph.

When was the last time you came to a game in SD? 2018 had 2nd half of the season collapse (Lost 5 of last 6 in 2018) and poor home schedule in 2019. The the last 2 years up in Carson. The number one complaint we get around town in playing in the MW against MW teams. That said we are consistently in the top 10-15 in G5 attendance. 

13 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

How ?

Hey, you think CSU had the money to steal good coaches from other MW teams before they had their new stadium?

13 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

When was the last time you came to a game in SD? 2018 had 2nd half of the season collapse (Lost 5 of last 6 in 2018) and poor home schedule in 2019. The the last 2 years up in Carson. The number one complaint we get around town in playing in the MW against MW teams. That said we are consistently in the top 10-15 in G5 attendance. 

I last attended a game game in 2014 ? Bolts-Colts MNF. The Murph was hurtin' repair wise.

In 2017 the Aztecs had some crowds 35k-40k through the Fresno/Boise back to back. Attendance has been sliding ever since. 

Poor matchups ?

Rocky Ball was boring ?

SD denizens are really LA Sports fans ?

G5 FB doesn't move the needle in a town with so much else to do ?

Many locals come from other places ?

A lot of all those for sure.

I really hope they hit a Home Run on this. I love my Aztecs, want to see them succeed and be well supported.

I also have my concerns.

Americans Mayor

16 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

I last attended a game game in 2014 ? Bolts-Colts MNF. The Murph was hurtin' repair wise.

In 2017 the Aztecs had some crowds 35k-40k through the Fresno/Boise back to back. Attendance has been sliding ever since. 

Poor matchups ?

Rocky Ball was boring ?

SD denizens are really LA Sports fans ?

G5 FB doesn't move the needle in a town with so much else to do ?

Many locals come from other places ?

A lot of all those for sure.

I really hope they hit a Home Run on this. I love my Aztecs, want to see them succeed and be well supported.

I also have my concerns.

"Ever since" is just two seasons 2018 & 2019 with the below home games. Our top 3 home games based on opponent would be a bad ASU team, BYU, and Fresno. Also 2014 was probably the worst attendance year in the last decade plus, so kinda funny you mentioned that season. We had a high point around 2017 which might make the current time seem low, but you probably weren't going to games too much between 2012-2014. Was even worse...

2018: Sac St, ASU, EMU, AFA, SJSU, UNLV, Hawaii

2019: Weber St, USU, WYO, UNR, FSU, BYU

29 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

"Ever since" is just two seasons 2018 & 2019 with the below home games. Our top 3 home games based on opponent would be a bad ASU team, BYU, and Fresno. Also 2014 was probably the worst attendance year in the last decade plus, so kinda funny you mentioned that season. We had a high point around 2017 which might make the current time seem low, but you probably weren't going to games too much between 2012-2014. Was even worse...

2018: Sac St, ASU, EMU, AFA, SJSU, UNLV, Hawaii

2019: Weber St, USU, WYO, UNR, FSU, BYU

I know we're talking a small sample size with the Carson fiasco.

I remember the Air Coryell era. There were times they outdrew some bad Charger teams.

SD likes exciting and winning FB. The Rocky era, while they did win was not entertaining to the average fan. Nor would this past seasons team, despite the 12 wins been much of a draw.

Americans Mayor

1 hour ago, Spaztecs said:

I know we're talking a small sample size with the Carson fiasco.

I remember the Air Coryell era. There were times they outdrew some bad Charger teams.

SD likes exciting and winning FB. The Rocky era, while they did win was not entertaining to the average fan. Nor would this past seasons team, despite the 12 wins been much of a draw.

Early in the Rocky era things were good. That Wazzu win in 2011 drew like 45k I want to say, pretty sure that game was the best attended I've been too. But once he started churning out bowl teams that didnt really take a next step folks got bored...but worst yet the PAC seemed to crater around the time we started beating them...so PAC wins that wouldve been sexy started to lose their luster. We suffer from a combination of big city types looking down their nose at MW schools (which is dumb) and a decline in general CFB excitement all along the west coast. We'll be fine and I think a drastic change in game day atmosphere will be a boon.

All you really need to do is look at the average attendance when we play Pac schools vs conference games.

BTW:  San Diegans are NOT LA sports fans.  That's just pure BS and makes me think anyone who says has never actually been to San Diego.  Doesn't mean there aren't LA fans in SD.  There's fans for every team in SD.  San Diegans, real loyal to the soil, born and bred San Diegans hate everything LA.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

3 hours ago, SDSUfan said:

All you really need to do is look at the average attendance when we play Pac schools vs conference games.

BTW:  San Diegans are NOT LA sports fans.  That's just pure BS and makes me think anyone who says has never actually been to San Diego.  Doesn't mean there aren't LA fans in SD.  There's fans for every team in SD.  San Diegans, real loyal to the soil, born and bred San Diegans hate everything LA.

Probably a big part of the reason the Clips and Chargers were unable to maintain their SD fanbases.

albeit, I do remember going to Padre-Dodger games in the 70's and seeing more Dodger fans there. SOme may have driven down from LA, but I think most were Dodger fans long before SD had a team.

When I look up content on the SD Sports Talk stations I typically see more LA team content than Padre-Aztec stuff.

When I was on the UT Charger Forum, there was little talk of the Aztecs. Most felt it was AA football. The only Aztec thread was one continually running thread about all things Aztecs. B-ball, FB, and everything else in one thread. It was pretty sad.

Americans Mayor

9 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

Probably a big part of the reason the Clips and Chargers were unable to maintain their SD fanbases.

albeit, I do remember going to Padre-Dodger games in the 70's and seeing more Dodger fans there. SOme may have driven down from LA, but I think most were Dodger fans long before SD had a team.

When I look up content on the SD Sports Talk stations I typically see more LA team content than Padre-Aztec stuff.

When I was on the UT Charger Forum, there was little talk of the Aztecs. Most felt it was AA football. The only Aztec thread was one continually running thread about all things Aztecs. B-ball, FB, and everything else in one thread. It was pretty sad.

They still like to pretend there's a Charger following, the SD Union is owned by the LA Times, but there isn't.  The Bolts maintained a fan base for 60 years, mostly rabid but sometimes disaffected by long runs of utter incompetence.  The Chargers got more love in this town than they deserved.  Same with the Padres who have a grand total of ONE world Series game victory in their miserable fifty year existence and still draw over 2 million every year.  Clippers? DONALD T STERLING.  They couldn't sell tickets in LA for the first 20 years they were up there too.  Everyone likes to talk crap about SD sports fans but they haven't lived with, in my case well over 1/2 century of absolute SHIT on the playing field.  We still show up when  a team can have a period of sustained excellence. SDSU basketball is a prime example.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

4 hours ago, AztecSU said:

. We'll be fine and I think a drastic change in game day atmosphere will be a boon.

People like new toys.. 35K seems right to me for that stadium. With the Chargers no longer in town, you'd think 30K people would want to watch some football in SD even with all the other stuff to do.. SDSU is also putting a good product on the field. 

I'd go if I lived there.  Even as a Ute fan.

On 1/25/2022 at 7:49 AM, Spaztecs said:

How ?

For one, they're going to have a ton of ancillary events to help pay off the stadium. For example, currently they have secured a women's professional soccer team (12 games), and my guess is that the same owner is going to bring in an MLS team in the next couple years (17 games) as well. That would put them at their financial projections assuming 26-27 ancillary events per year. And that doesn't include things like the 2028 Olympics, the 2023 Lacrosse World Championships, Xolo/Mexican/US soccer exhibitions, etc....

On 1/25/2022 at 8:36 AM, AztecSU said:

My seats should be installed soon

image.png.159cc7f7da13f927e6fa60c4da853aae.png

they're humming along. I like how they bag up the seats once installed, trying to keep that new plastic smell for season ticket holders, lol.

image.png.7d19a9651f470e98ce56494166012346.png

On 1/28/2022 at 10:23 AM, AztecSU said:

Yep, very steep. Should translate well for soccer and not just FB.

Should be off-limits to those who suffer from vertigo and the heavy drinkers.