Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sactowndog

Utah State and Anderson

Congrats to Utah State.  

Curious if Aggie fans can enlighten me but I believe one way Wells turned it around so quickly is he took 4-5 of Arkansas States best players.   

if true this development should concern for ever school in this league.   We are already seeing this trend at Fresno with DeBoer trying to steal 4-5 of Fresno’s top players.   The turnaround and win by Utah State will only accelerate this trend which is devastating to the team/players left behind.   Arky State, stripped of their best players, went 2-10 and 1-7 in league.

14 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Congrats to Utah State.  

Curious if Aggie fans can enlighten me but I believe one way Wells turned it around so quickly is he took 4-5 of Arkansas States best players.   

if true this development should concern for ever school in this league.   We are already seeing this trend at Fresno with DeBoer trying to steal 4-5 of Fresno’s top players.   The turnaround and win by Utah State will only accelerate this trend which is devastating to the team/players left behind.   Arky State, stripped of their best players, went 2-10 and 1-7 in league.

Firstly it’s Blake Anderson that’s the coach now and not Matt wells.. but I see where you’re headed. No biggie.

Yeah…. Some of our best players and offense and defense were from Anderson’s time at ASU. Rice, Bowling, and Bonner are the notable names. Without Bonner we might win 3-4 games most. He used the transfer portal To totally retool the team. I’d be worried if I were a Fresno fan. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

12 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Congrats to Utah State.  

My thoughts exactly.  Do transfers count against the 25 recruiting limit, or the 85 player limit?  Either way I think it will ultimately affect the ratio between recruits and transfers.  If a coach feels he can get a decent player from another school who has some experience versus a 2* rated HS recruit, guess which one he'll try to get.   

Just now, madmartigan said:

Yeah…. Some of our best players and offense and defense were from Anderson’s time at ASU. Rice, Bowling, and Bonner are the notable names. Without Bonner we might win 3-4 games most. He used the transfer portal To totally retool the team. I’d be worried if I were a Fresno fan. 

I would be worried for all of us.  It is a very disconcerting trend and while good for USU in the short run it’s very bad for the conference long term.   

MWC teams should absolutely take note and force any head coaches to include non-compete clauses in their contracts which prevents them from targeting their former teams players.  It is done in business all the time and given the transfer portal needs to be done now. 

1 minute ago, sactowndog said:

I would be worried for all of us.  It is a very disconcerting trend and while good for USU in the short run it’s very bad for the conference long term.   

MWC teams should absolutely take note and force any head coaches to include non-compete clauses in their contracts which prevents them from targeting their former teams players.  It is done in business all the time and given the transfer portal needs to be done now. 

Good luck with that. lol

5 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Just like in basketball I think transfers will help this conference more than hurt it.

Coaching changes are a completely different story, but there’s no real way around that.

Just now, aztech said:

Good luck with that. lol

That isn’t that hard.  The MWC is usually a coaches first FBS coaching job.  It’s simple you don’t agree to the clause you aren’t offered the job.  The downside to a program stripped of its best sophomores and juniors is huge and could cost the University Millions.   

I would even consider putting it in league by-laws that any HC or Coordinator job include it.   That way it doesn’t even become a negotiating point. 

3 minutes ago, bigd said:

Just like in basketball I think transfers will help this conference more than hurt it.

Coaching changes are a completely different story, but there’s no real way around that.

I’m not against transfers.  Just like in the business world people change jobs all the time.  But in the case the head coach develops a relationship on the Universities dime and then uses that relationship to strip a team of its best talent.   

Companies have non-compete clauses for senior management all the time.  

11 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

That isn’t that hard.  The MWC is usually a coaches first FBS coaching job.  It’s simple you don’t agree to the clause you aren’t offered the job.  The downside to a program stripped of its best sophomores and juniors is huge and could cost the University Millions.   

I would even consider putting it in league by-laws that any HC or Coordinator job include it.   That way it doesn’t even become a negotiating point. 

Don’t root for a stepping stone school.  Problem solved.

10 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

Don’t root for a stepping stone school.  Problem solved.

Yeah holding onto a basketball coach for one year before losing him screams prestige. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

36 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Coaches would avoid this conference

10 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

Coaches would avoid this conference

And pass up a raise from 400,000 to 1.2M.  No they wouldn’t.   Not to mention a coach that won’t sign because he won’t waive the right to strip your team of your best players when he leaves is not a coach you want to sign in the first place.  

57 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

I’m not against transfers.  Just like in the business world people change jobs all the time.  But in the case the head coach develops a relationship on the Universities dime and then uses that relationship to strip a team of its best talent.   

Companies have non-compete clauses for senior management all the time.  

While a non-compete could potentially be upheld for a coach, the real legal issue will be telling the athlete that he can't go to another school because his coach that he developed a relationship with is there (which creates a giant loophole for the coach's non-compete).

Using a real world example:

Coach says to athlete, "Due to my non-compete, I can't pursue you to come to my new school. FWIW, the school can't tell you which schools you can or cannot transfer to."

Athlete: "See you in spring training coach!"

Due to not being able to legally enforce the student's ability to transfer, the whole concept falls apart. Non-starter...

12 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

Changing the subject means I’m getting to you!

How did I change the subject? We are discussing stepping stone programs, which every school in the MW is despite your assertions