Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thedude15

MW basketball. Hot starts by WY/AF/Fresno are they contenders or pretenders?

Seems pretty clear to me Colorado State is a legit contender. CSU already have two very solid wins (Creighton and Saint Mary's) and will probably enter the polls if they manage to be Miss State on Saturday. They were also the preseason favorite to win the MW. 

So the next three teams by record are 8-0 Wyoming, 7-1 Air Force, 7-1 Fresno. Those are the preseason #9, #11, and #6 teams. 

Wyoming's best two wins are probably @8-1 Grand Canyon and @4-5 Washington. Air Force bests two wins @4-4 Tulsa and vs 4-4 Army. Fresno best two are neutral site game vs 6-3 Santa Clara and vs 4-5 San Diego.  

Wyoming's December slate is much tougher than what they did in November. Road trip to Zona, neutral site tourney including BYU. I like the approach of Linder trying to build momentum and confidence through the first 8 games while still traveling and getting some road games, hopefully the team is still ready to compete in conference a month from now after they suffer some probable losses.

Arizona looks legit. Would be huge if they can keep it close on Wednesday night.

Looks like a number of teams have potential to be better than initially predicted including wyoming.  I think BSU will finish worse than the 4th place finish predicted if they can't get over this free throw issue.  Even then, the lack of a good point guard may be too much to over come  

4 hours ago, thedude15 said:

Seems pretty clear to me Colorado State is a legit contender. CSU already have two very solid wins (Creighton and Saint Mary's) and will probably enter the polls if they manage to be Miss State on Saturday. They were also the preseason favorite to win the MW. 

So the next three teams by record are 8-0 Wyoming, 7-1 Air Force, 7-1 Fresno. Those are the preseason #9, #11, and #6 teams. 

Wyoming's best two wins are probably @8-1 Grand Canyon and @4-5 Washington. Air Force bests two wins @4-4 Tulsa and vs 4-4 Army. Fresno best two are neutral site game vs 6-3 Santa Clara and vs 4-5 San Diego.  

Pretenders.

It's nice to see them throwing off the RPI anchor, but they will be exposed by the end of January.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

We’ll know more about the Pokes this week. I don’t expect them to win, Arizona made Michigan look silly last month in Vegas. I do think Wyoming is better than predicted, Ike  is a problem for anyone and can keep you in a lot of games on his own. Pokes finish in top half I believe and the sheep are the top team to me. 

CSU is the only team that seems to have all the right pieces. SDSU, Fresno, and Boise State are the gangs that can’t shoot straight. Nevada looks the part but lacks focus at times. USU lacks good athletes but play together with high intensity. Wyoming is solid all around but could use another go to guy. UNLV and UNM look like a NYC playground team. SJSU is still learning how to win. Air Force is still trying to backdoor everyone 

6 hours ago, Zoomie said:

We have to get close to double digits somehow before conference play starts :shots:

AF will get there.  AF won 5 total games last year.  Three of those games were in conference.  If memory still serves me AF beat UNR, UW, and NM in conference play.  AF can win the remaining three OOC games and steal 2-4 conference games.  I like the AF freshman.  The only freshman I've seen better than what AF has is UNLV's Gilbert.  The Gilbert kid from UNLV is really good but, to be honest Ethan Taylor is an outstanding guard for AF and gets a lot more minutes of playing time than Gilbert.  Taylor may be the most valuable freshman in the conference that no one talks about.  I can't wait until the two go head to head at Clune so I can see it in person.  Though I think that UNLV if they are smart would use Gilbert on AJ Walker because of his defensive skills.  Then again, UNLV hasn't looked too smart as of late.

Stamp.

Ukrainian postage stamp honoring Snake Island soldiers

1 hour ago, SpaceForced said:

AF will get there.  AF won 5 total games last year.  Three of those games were in conference.  If memory still serves me AF beat UNR, UW, and NM in conference play.  AF can win the remaining three OOC games and steal 2-4 conference games.  I like the AF freshman.  The only freshman I've seen better than what AF has is UNLV's Gilbert.  The Gilbert kid from UNLV is really good but, to be honest Ethan Taylor is an outstanding guard for AF and gets a lot more minutes of playing time than Gilbert.  Taylor may be the most valuable freshman in the conference that no one talks about.  I can't wait until the two go head to head at Clune so I can see it in person.  Though I think that UNLV if they are smart would use Gilbert on AJ Walker because of his defensive skills.  Then again, UNLV hasn't looked too smart as of late.

There’s promise for sure, but these freshmen will run into a brick wall come conference play. The future is definitely brighter though, I can actually see an offense being run and Joe Scott is all about defense which has to be the equalizer for AFA in conference play. The 2004-2007 heyday was full of gritty guys. I see that coming for AFA. conference play will be telling 

3 hours ago, Zoomie said:

There’s promise for sure, but these freshmen will run into a brick wall come conference play. The future is definitely brighter though, I can actually see an offense being run and Joe Scott is all about defense which has to be the equalizer for AFA in conference play. The 2004-2007 heyday was full of gritty guys. I see that coming for AFA. conference play will be telling 

It's UNLV's turn to be the cellar dwellers.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

9 hours ago, SpaceForced said:

Jalen Lake at CSU is the best freshman in the league. All the advanced analytics are in his favor. He just doesn’t get enough minutes because of the quality in the CSU program. The Degenhart kid from Boise is starting to get minutes and is really coming on.