Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

818SUDSFan

Joel Osteen, Televangelist

On 12/6/2021 at 10:37 AM, sean327 said:

I hope there’s a special place in Hell for people like Joel Osteen. These guys prey on vulnerable people to enrich themselves. They have no problem sleeping at night knowing they are taking money from people who can’t afford to give, but still do so because these evil bastards tell them God will make them rich. The Joel Osteens of the world exploit desperation.

Preach it!  
He’s a phony POS. 

kat.jpg

On 12/7/2021 at 7:29 AM, bornontheblue said:

I wouldn't say they are taking money, that implies theft. I would say they are gladly accepting money. 

Doesn't some of the responsibility also fall onto the donor. They should be doing their own due diligence and knowing what they are giving there money towards. 

A lot of older folks start losing good sound judgment, and these creeps take advantage of that. 

kat.jpg

On 12/7/2021 at 2:17 PM, Slapdad said:

There certainly are some rascals out there :D, but I think that's where enforcement comes in rather than legislating everyone out of the good-deed business. In the end, people will still swindle other poor souls, but the greater good is being done by allowing the majority of the churches to continue on. 

Except enforcement doesn't do a lot of good when these churches have boatloads of money and the IRS just doesn't go after them like a lot of people with money and power.

1 hour ago, Wyobraska said:

Except enforcement doesn't do a lot of good when these churches have boatloads of money and the IRS just doesn't go after them like a lot of people with money and power.

Enforcement doesn't work if they're following the rules that are in place. If they're following the tax guidelines...and they probably pay enough to great CPA's to make sure they do....then what is there to enforce? If we're just mad that some religious carnival barker is filthy rich, then that's another story. It's outrageous that they make so much dough, but the same could be said for actors, athletes, and football coaches. I doubt the IRS is just looking the other way though. 

17 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

No, just the big churches that make tons of money. Cults like Scientology should never have gotten exempt status. 

Indeed the highlighted word is the key. Just as Microsoft pounded the DOJ into submission, Scientology pounded the IRS into submission. 

As Ned Beatty's character said in "Network," governments don't run the world, big businesses run the world. As true as that was in 1976, it's even more true today.

1 hour ago, Slapdad said:

Enforcement doesn't work if they're following the rules that are in place. If they're following the tax guidelines...and they probably pay enough to great CPA's to make sure they do....then what is there to enforce? If we're just mad that some religious carnival barker is filthy rich, then that's another story. It's outrageous that they make so much dough, but the same could be said for actors, athletes, and football coaches. I doubt the IRS is just looking the other way though. 

You misspelled producers, team owners, and CEOs.  

4 hours ago, Wyobraska said:

I don't do a lot of returns for non profits but I though every non profit had to make their 990 available to the public. I went to the Lakewood church website to try and find it and it wasn't there which led to further research on my part. Apparently churches can organize themselves in such a manner that they don't have to make their tax return available to the public. That should be changed IMO 

I thought I would be able to see what Osteen was pulling in for himself but it is not available to the public. 

An example here is the 990 for the NRA foundation.

https://apps.irs.gov/pub/epostcard/cor/521710886_201912_990_2021030217779647.pdf

Wayne Lapierre was paid almost 2 million dollars. 

Oliver North got paid almost 1 million dollars 

2 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

I don't do a lot of returns for non profits but I though every non profit had to make their 990 available to the public. I went to the Lakewood church website to try and find it and it wasn't there which led to further research on my part. Apparently churches can organize themselves in such a manner that they don't have to make their tax return available to the public. That should be changed IMO 

I thought I would be able to see what Osteen was pulling in for himself but it is not available to the public. 

An example here is the 990 for the NRA foundation.

https://apps.irs.gov/pub/epostcard/cor/521710886_201912_990_2021030217779647.pdf

Wayne Lapierre was paid almost 2 million dollars. 

Oliver North got paid almost 1 million dollars 

Well, we know Lakewood got 4.4M from PPP (not known if it was forgiven) so that seems like a lot of coin to stay in operation.  

https://projects.propublica.org/coronavirus/bailouts/loans/lakewood-church-6464998109

Just now, East Coast Aztec said:

Well, we know Lakewood got 4.4M from PPP (not known if it was forgiven) so that seems like a lot of coin to stay in operation.  

https://projects.propublica.org/coronavirus/bailouts/loans/lakewood-church-6464998109

It was almost certainly forgiven. 

2 hours ago, Orygun said:

You misspelled producers, team owners, and CEOs.  

Oh...you're one of those, eh? It's always the people at top that are overpaid and never those under them. Gotcha. 

22 minutes ago, Slapdad said:

Oh...you're one of those, eh? It's always the people at top that are overpaid and never those under them. Gotcha. 

MWC Board tangent...how come some folks bitch about athletes being "overpaid" but they never bitch about how much actors or entertainers make?

3 minutes ago, renoskier said:

MWC Board tangent...how come some folks bitch about athletes being "overpaid" but they never bitch about how much ctors or entertainers make?

Perhaps because it's not as straight forward to know how much they make? I don't know....but I think plenty of people bitch about rich actors and entertainers trying to push their narrative on the general public, so it manifests itself in other ways. Just spit-balling here. 

21 minutes ago, Slapdad said:

Perhaps because it's not as straight forward to know how much they make? I don't know....but I think plenty of people bitch about rich actors and entertainers trying to push their narrative on the general public, so it manifests itself in other ways. Just spit-balling here. 

yeah and the same folks always whining about "muh rights" bitch about other folks exercising theirs?

5 hours ago, Slapdad said:

So that means that the rules need to change if guys like Osteen can buy jets and afford mansions.  But you said you were against that too, so you have no problem with Osteen making millions of an entity that is tax exempt and supposed to help people?

H doesn't belong in the same category and sports stars and musicians.  They all make outrageous money but Osteen is blatantly using the system 

And yes, the IRS does look the other way with rich and powerful people more often than not

www.newsweek.com/government-just-admitted-it-doesnt-really-try-collect-rich-peoples-taxes-1577610%3famp=1