Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

818SUDSFan

Joel Osteen, Televangelist

I hope there’s a special place in Hell for people like Joel Osteen. These guys prey on vulnerable people to enrich themselves. They have no problem sleeping at night knowing they are taking money from people who can’t afford to give, but still do so because these evil bastards tell them God will make them rich. The Joel Osteens of the world exploit desperation.

5 minutes ago, sean327 said:

I hope there’s a special place in Hell for people like Joel Osteen. These guys prey on vulnerable people to enrich themselves. They have no problem sleeping at night knowing they are taking money from people who can’t afford to give, but still do so because these evil bastards tell them God will make them rich. The Joel Osteens of the world exploit desperation.

The Prosperity Gospel/Theology is absolutely abhorrent. 

20 hours ago, sean327 said:

I wouldn't say they are taking money, that implies theft. I would say they are gladly accepting money. 

Doesn't some of the responsibility also fall onto the donor. They should be doing their own due diligence and knowing what they are giving there money towards. 

2 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

I wouldn't say they are taking money, that implies theft. I would say they are gladly accepting money. 

Doesn't some of the responsibility also fall onto the donor. They should be doing their own due diligence and knowing what they are giving there money towards. 

I don't know if it happened in this case, but a lot of these groups target the elderly in the hopes they are easily duped. My grandfather was the target of many of these organizations especially after dementia set in. 

39 minutes ago, HR_Poke said:

I don't know if it happened in this case, but a lot of these groups target the elderly in the hopes they are easily duped. My grandfather was the target of many of these organizations especially after dementia set in. 

Manipulation and coercion of the elderly is pretty common among people of Osteen's ilk. I honestly almost hesitate at calling him a person. 

42 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

I would align more with sean on this one, though I don't disagree with you as the responsibility of the individual is also paramount.  If it weren't for some of these folks using religion as a carrot to get funds from at times desperate people, I would fully agree with it.  It is harder to be logical when they dangle their god in the grift.

2 hours ago, bornontheblue said:

It absolutely does, but these Prosperity Gospel Preachers are master manipulators, they know exactly who they are targeting. They are the world’s greatest con artists. 

On 12/4/2021 at 7:57 AM, MetropolitanCowboy said:

Just an example of why they should axe the tax exempt status for churches. 

What example is that, exactly? That there was a lot of money/checks? While I'm no fan of Osteen, the vast majority of churches don't operate like that and most provide a ton of social services that would otherwise be left to the government...and they do it more efficiently. If there's a church like Lakewood that needs to have it's hand slapped, then I'm all for it, but to take away the tax exempt status for all churches would have an overall negative effect. 

5 minutes ago, Slapdad said:

What example is that, exactly? That there was a lot of money/checks? While I'm no fan of Osteen, the vast majority of churches don't operate like that and most provide a ton of social services that would otherwise be left to the government...and they do it more efficiently. If there's a church like Lakewood that needs to have it's hand slapped, then I'm all for it, but to take away the tax exempt status for all churches would have an overall negative effect. 

I agree, many local churches do a good job.  I wonder if there is a way to determine how to change the tax code for some of the megachurches?  Perhaps if your 501c3 collects x amount of dollars, it should reach a percentage of funds spent on things that qualifies it for the tax designation?  It is crazy the Osteen's and Creflo's and the Copeland's of the world are looked at as similar as the standard, barely able to keep the doors open churches in Anytown, USA.

1 minute ago, East Coast Aztec said:

I agree, many local churches do a good job.  I wonder if there is a way to determine how to change the tax code for some of the megachurches?  Perhaps if your 501c3 collects x amount of dollars, it should reach a percentage of funds spent on things that qualifies it for the tax designation?  It is crazy the Osteen's and Creflo's and the Copeland's of the world are looked at as similar as the standard, barely able to keep the doors open churches in Anytown, USA.

I'm not sure that changing the tax code for a few churches is the answer, but maybe a higher level of scrutiny for all tax exempt organizations. If you target just churches, the optics on that will be similar to when the IRS went after those to were considered moderate or conservatives and if scrutiny is raised, why not include the BLM and Sierra Clubs that fall on the other side. 

4 minutes ago, Slapdad said:

I'm not sure that changing the tax code for a few churches is the answer, but maybe a higher level of scrutiny for all tax exempt organizations. If you target just churches, the optics on that will be similar to when the IRS went after those to were considered moderate or conservatives and if scrutiny is raised, why not include the BLM and Sierra Clubs that fall on the other side. 

I'm torn, I've seen some local pastors absolutely take advantage of the system here in Boise.  One, Tom, was a pastor at TVBC before leaving because he was too extreme for even them (and that Church is a cult, IDGAF).  He never worked an honest day in his life but set himself up on a giant ranch, tons of cars and horses.  One old lady left him every single cent she had, her kids and grand kids got nothing.   Then there are local churches who can barely keep the power on and every cent goes into the community.  

I've also always kind of respected the vow of poverty thing for any religious leader.

48 minutes ago, Slapdad said:

Correct, it should be for all.  I should have expanded the web, but because we are talking narrow, I kept it narrow.  No reason to tie in political parties, my intent was not to do such a thing.

1 hour ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I'm torn, I've seen some local pastors absolutely take advantage of the system here in Boise.  One, Tom, was a pastor at TVBC before leaving because he was too extreme for even them (and that Church is a cult, IDGAF).  He never worked an honest day in his life but set himself up on a giant ranch, tons of cars and horses.  One old lady left him every single cent she had, her kids and grand kids got nothing.   Then there are local churches who can barely keep the power on and every cent goes into the community.  

I've also always kind of respected the vow of poverty thing for any religious leader.

There certainly are some rascals out there :D, but I think that's where enforcement comes in rather than legislating everyone out of the good-deed business. In the end, people will still swindle other poor souls, but the greater good is being done by allowing the majority of the churches to continue on. 

Copeland's ministry was the epicenter of a measles outbreak a few years ago.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.